Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland to Celtic?

• 21-12-2010 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭

I know everyone is sick of the Stephen Ireland debate but there is a rumour on Sky that he may be going on loan at Celtic for the 2nd half of the season. I would actually PMSL at the reaction from both Celtic fans and casual Celtic fans (myself included) if this went through.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Ireland is a retard, I couldnt give a fluck where he goes, he deserves to rot in the Celtic reserves tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

From Mr Lennon

Manager Neil Lennon has rubbished reports that Celtic are looking to sign Aston Villa midfielder Stephen Ireland on loan in January.

The Republic of Ireland international, who arrived at Villa Park from Manchester City in the summer, has recently been linked with a move to the Scottish Premier League side.

But Lennon insists the 24-year-old is not on the Bhoys' radar, and claims defenders are his priority in next month's transfer window.

"We are looking at areas where we can improve the squad but I wouldn't say he (Ireland) is a candidate or anything like that," said Lennon.

"There is a lot of names being thrown at us from clubs and agents and it would be unfair to talk about individuals.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

From Mr Lennon

Manager Neil Lennon has rubbished reports that Celtic are looking to sign Aston Villa midfielder Stephen Ireland on loan in January.

The Republic of Ireland international, who arrived at Villa Park from Manchester City in the summer, has recently been linked with a move to the Scottish Premier League side.

But Lennon insists the 24-year-old is not on the Bhoys' radar, and claims defenders are his priority in next month's transfer window.

"We are looking at areas where we can improve the squad but I wouldn't say he (Ireland) is a candidate or anything like that," said Lennon.

"There is a lot of names being thrown at us from clubs and agents and it would be unfair to talk about individuals.

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Are celitc stuck for ball boys then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If he's in a position that Glasgow Celtic fans are prepared to look down their noses at him I'd be worried if I were him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Has Irelands rep finally caught up with him ?

City to Villa to Celtic.

Not too long ago he was being linked with top clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Y'know what, this seems like a time that I could see Alex Ferguson swoop in for the underpriced Ireland. If there's anyone who could get him pulling in the right direction again, it's him. Would also potentially solve the "Scholes is old" problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Y'know what, this seems like a time that I could see Alex Ferguson swoop in for the underpriced Ireland. If there's anyone who could get him pulling in the right direction again, it's him. Would also potentially solve the "Scholes is old" problem.

Good point but I'm hoping Liverpool could be in with a shout .

J w Henry likes his stats and Ireland must have good stats and is young , ticks most boxes.

mixednuts wrote: »
    Good point but I'm hoping Liverpool could be in with a shout .

J w Henry likes his stats and Ireland must have good stats and is young , ticks most boxes.

Under Roy, i'd rather not. Maybe with someone like Coyle in charge we might get something out of him.

Really wouldn't be surprised to see him at old trafford though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Dunno why United wouldn't put in a bid for him, he's a terrific player and could surely regain his form quickly under Fergie. Would be cheap as chips too.

I know he said he didn't feel welcome when he was there as a kid, but I think it's about time he got over that childhood trauma and started thinking about his career tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I have to admit that there's a part of me that'd like to see Fergie take one of his punts on Ireland. In a way he's so mental that he'd respond better to being at a top club than going down to a mid-table club. If he could be got for 5 million or under I'd give it a try. There's a huge upside to what he can bring to a team as a dynamic attacking midfielder with a good range of passing and he appears to have a decent work ethic. Fergie has taken bigger headcases under his wing than Ireland and gotten the best out of them. If he's happy to take a 7 million punt on Bebe, then 5 million on a guy who not that long ago was being linked with all the top clubs for huge money is far from an outlandish prospect. He'd love the fact that he doesn't do internationals as well. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

The tabloid puns if that came off would be mega facepalm.

Dave! wrote: »
    Dunno why United wouldn't put in a bid for him, he's a terrific player and could surely regain his form quickly under Fergie. Would be cheap as chips too.

I know he said he didn't feel welcome when he was there as a kid, but I think it's about time he got over that childhood trauma and started thinking about his career tbh...

He's a bottler and would be far too flaky for Alex Fergusons liking. I'd be stunned if Manchester United even expressed an interest let alone follow through in it.

Manchester United could do better I'd imagine.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I have to admit that there's a part of me that'd like to see Fergie take one of his punts on Ireland. In a way he's so mental that he'd respond better to being at a top club than going down to a mid-table club. If he could be got for 5 million or under I'd give it a try. There's a huge upside to what he can bring to a team as a dynamic attacking midfielder with a good range of passing and he appears to have a decent work ethic. Fergie has taken bigger headcases under his wing than Ireland and gotten the best out of them. If he's happy to take a 7 million punt on Bebe, then 5 million on a guy who not that long ago was being linked with all the top clubs for huge money is far from an outlandish prospect. He'd love the fact that he doesn't do internationals as well. :pac:

You are joking?

He bailed on Man City at the first sign of trouble and now he's done the same to Villa. He wouldnt last 5 minutes at Man Utd if this attitude remains.

orourkeda wrote: »
    He's a bottler and would be far too flaky for Alex Fergusons liking. I'd be stunned if Manchester United even expressed an interest let alone follow through in it.

Manchester United could do better I'd imagine.

In what way a bottler?

Fergie signed Cantona who was mad as a hatter with a list of indiscretions as long as your arm. I think if he sees an upside and a good bargain Fergie is prepared to overlook a lot.

It's probably never going to happen, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

You are joking?

He bailed on Man City at the first sign of trouble and now he's done the same to Villa. He wouldnt last 5 minutes at Man Utd if this attitude remains.

He didn't bail on City, he wanted to stay, unfortunately he was frozen out and had little choice.

You are joking?

Apparently he's a very dedicated trainer and goes through insane workout routines on his own in pre-seaason.

Don't get me wrong I'm well aware of his flaws and he's an awful twat off the pitch, but his upside is pretty big IMO. With the Neviller about to retire we could also do with someone new for everyone to get all annoyed over.:pac:

In what way a bottler?

Fergie signed Cantona who was mad as a hatter with a list of indiscretions as long as your arm. I think if he sees an upside and a good bargain Fergie is prepared to overlook a lot.

It's probably never going to happen, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

Both entirely different characters though. I get the impression that Stephen Ireland is not the player who relishes a challenge and has become known as much for his eccentricities as his talent as a footballer. Signing him is becoming a greater gamble than it should be. He can play but he may create as many problems as he solves for any manager.

karma_ wrote: »
    He didn't bail on City, he wanted to stay, unfortunately he was frozen out and had little choice.

He certainly bailed on the Ireland team.

It seemed he just didnt get on with Mancini. Perhaps the move to Aston Villa came at just the right time. Given the choice between James Milner and Stephen Ireland theres no contest in terms of Attitude.

• Advertisement

Apparently he's a very dedicated trainer and goes through insane workout routines on his own in pre-seaason.

Don't get me wrong I'm well aware of his flaws and he's an awful twat off the pitch, but his upside is pretty big IMO. With the Neviller about to retire we could also do with someone new for everyone to get all annoyed over.:pac:

But didnt he garner criticism from Gerard Houllier recently for his perceived lack of effort in training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

He can stay the feck away from utd, we can do better than him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

But didnt he garner criticism from Gerard Houllier recently for his perceived lack of effort in training

If there is one criticism you cannot level at Ireland, it's his attitude to training. I'm not sure what Houllier was critical of in fairness but I'be be astounded if it was in regards to his training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I'm not sure how we got around to Man U on this thread.

General consensus amongst the Celtic fans seems to be he is more trouble than he is worth and wouldn't add a great deal to the team. I also cannot see his preciousness adapting to the goldfish bowl that is Glasgow football.

What Celtic need this year are players with an abrasive winning mentality. Stephen Ireland is not that player.

But it would be pretty cool to hand him the number 32 shirt.

karma_ wrote: »
    If there is one criticism you cannot level at Ireland, it's his attitude to training. I'm not sure what Houllier was critical of in fairness but I'be be astounded if it was in regards to his training.

There is a lot more to modern training that running around. The impression I got was that SI wouldn't listen and learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Team from Villa's last game against West Brom.

1 B. Friedel
    29 J. Collins
    3 S. Warnock
    24 Carlos Cuéllar
    30 E. Lichaj
    6 S. Downing 25'
    7 A. Young
    25 B. Bannan Substituted
    12 M. Albrighton Substituted
    28 J. Hogg
    18 E. Heskey Substituted

Says a lot that Ireland can't get in that team. Not on the bench either.

Mezcita wrote: »
    Team from Villa's last game against West Brom.

1 B. Friedel
    29 J. Collins
    3 S. Warnock
    24 Carlos Cuéllar
    30 E. Lichaj
    6 S. Downing 25'
    7 A. Young
    25 B. Bannan Substituted
    12 M. Albrighton Substituted
    28 J. Hogg
    18 E. Heskey Substituted

Says a lot that Ireland can't get in that team. Not on the bench either.
    Hence why he's going to be available at a bargain basement price.

But we're all well aware of what he's capable of. Players dont turn crap overnight.

For a low price, I think he'd be ideal for Utd. We already know that when he feels comfortable in a place, he's outstanding. If it fails, it's no real setback at a low cost. He's a player who was being touted at 20 million not too long ago. There would be no problem with selling him off for 5 or 6 million, almost regardless how badly it turned out.

Financially, it makes sense. Yes, ManU could probably do better, but at probably double the price. I just wouldn't be at all surprised to see him become the player he was only a year or so ago, in fairly short order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I didn't hear that. In fact what I read was that he thought there was a huge discrepancy between his form in training and that on the pitch... i.e. he's training pretty well. Link
    Houllier said he regretted publicly criticising Ireland in October, when he questioned the player's work rate. "I said – and I regret to have said – that he should push more, but somebody asked the question and they saw him play. There is a discrepancy in what I see in training and what we see in the game. I told his agent this. He's got to sort that out. I like the man, the player. He's got some skill, touch, an eye for a pass, but he's got to adapt to modern football as well

And you're gonna have to qualify you're "bailed on City" claim. In what way did he bail? Mancini froze him out and he was offered as a sweetener in the deal to get Milner in order to show that City refused to pay the ridiculous sums being asked for by AV and in the process devaluing Ireland. Since then he hasn't shone, granted but the Man City player of the season less than 2 years ago must be still in there somewhere.... Fergie could coax it out again. It would mean Gibson would have to go though imo, so it would be a double edged sword for Rep of Ireland.
    wikipedia wrote:
    On 20 May 2009, he was named Manchester City's Senior Player of the Year for his blistering performances throughout the 2008–09 season and as a result has secured a new 5-year contract, keeping him at the club until 2014.[12]. He later became the Greater Manchester player of the Year.

Hence why he's going to be available at a bargain basement price.

But we're all well aware of what he's capable of. Players dont turn crap overnight.

For a low price, I think he'd be ideal for Utd. We already know that when he feels comfortable in a place, he's outstanding. If it fails, it's no real setback at a low cost. He's a player who was being touted at 20 million not too long ago. There would be no problem with selling him off for 5 or 6 million, almost regardless how badly it turned out.

Financially, it makes sense. Yes, ManU could probably do better, but at probably double the price. I just wouldn't be at all surprised to see him become the player he was only a year or so ago, in fairly short order.

Is he that good? I think he went from being a promising youngster to the white Pele overnight at the time of Grannygate. He is not as good as people seem to think he is. And he has now fallen out with nearly every manager he has worked with, from Kerr to Houllier. He is not signing for a team of Celtic's caliber, and you are talking about Man U? :confused: Forget it, Fergie won't touch him with a bargepole.

The fact, as said above, that Celtic fans wan't nothing to do with him is a sad indictment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

He had one good season.

Plenty of players have had one good season and have not gone on to reach potential.

I can't see what all the fuss is about him, a loan spell to Celtic may well be a good thing for him, but really can't see the likes of man utd being even remotely interested in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Houillier wrote:
    There is a discrepancy in what I see in training and what we see in the game. I told his agent this.

What on earth does Houllier mean by this? Why is his manager telling his agent that he's not pulling his weight in games? Is this how modern managers relay instructions to their players - through their agents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

About his level tbh. The most over rated footballer in the game today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

still hoping he turns things around and becomes good for Villa before any talk of Celtic, Man Utd, whoever tbh. Oddly a few days ago i posted about this in the Celtic thread as today was not the first time he was linked there since he has been at Villa and at that point as now there seemed to be very little interest from Celtic fans. Why this now deserves its own thread i dont know especially when celtic have now said officially they are not after Ireland however atm it doesent seem destined to work out for Ireland at Villa and I guess a transfer is a possibility. Who will take a risk on him if he leaves Villa a failure im not sure tbh. He can perform we all know that, but will he ever do so again regularily while not taking away from your team in other ways...hmm

Interesting thing from this discussion is also that id say part of both the Celtic and Man Utd fans thinking with regards the possibility comes with regards money. Ireland would be seen as a potential waste of money and an expensive risk by Celtic fans while Utd (pool, whoever) fans would consider his a relatively cheap transfer so the potential of a return to quality seems much more worth the risk.

Interesting thing from this discussion is also that id say part of both the Celtic and Man Utd fans thinking with regards the possibility comes with regards money. Ireland would be seen as a potential waste of money and an expensive risk by Celtic fans while Utd (pool, whoever) fans would consider his a relatively cheap transfer so the potential of a return to quality seems much more worth the risk.

I disagree that its about money with Celtic fans. The logic is he would add nothing in a footballing sense that Kayal or Forrest doesn't and simply hasn't the personality for the Glasgow fishbowl or to stand up and be counted against the Current Buns.

If he runs off inventing dead grannies after a slagging, what will his reaction be when he bumps into a gang of drunk Gers who have previous for slapping Celtic players, and doubly despise Irish ones (Lennon, McGeady etc).

If he isn't good enough for Villa or a poor Celtic side, I'm astounded people think he is good enough for Man U

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I disagree that its about money with Celtic fans. The logic is he would add nothing in a footballing sense that Kayal or Forrest doesn't and simply hasn't the personality for the Glasgow fishbowl or to stand up and be counted against the Current Buns.

If he runs off inventing dead grannies after a slagging, what will his reaction be when he bumps into a gang of drunk Gers who have previous for slapping Celtic players, and doubly despise Irish ones (Lennon, McGeady etc).

If he isn't good enough for Villa or a poor Celtic side, I'm astounded people think he is good enough for Man U

I dont personally think he would be the right fit for Celtic for some of the reasons you outline but can imagine that for the money he would cost which even if it is just wages in a loan situation (was it ever cleared up if he can get a proper transfer, he never played for City this season so I'd imagine he can) that he would be too much of a risk in most fans eyes. However I would think that like Villa fans and I guess Man Utd etc fans its a risk that they know could pay off as well as burn you because the guy has the talent and no offense but a player like himself seems to thrive on confidence and perhaps he would believe in his ability more playing at what he would percieve as a lower standard. tbh I doubt it but it could work as said Id still like him to work out at Vill but similarily said i dont epect it.

Stephen Ireland a puzzling young man in so many ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I can't see Ferguson for one minute considering Ireland seeing as Ferguson has been buying players who have a good attitude and will gel with the group and not be a negative influence, he's been talking about the players attitude every time he has bought a new player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Ireland is a retard

irony6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'd say there's more chance of Ferguson getting back Liam Miller than getting Stephen Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I'd say there's more chance of Ferguson getting back Liam Miller than getting Stephen Ireland!

Now there's a thought...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You opened a can of worms there! Having said that, I think you're kinda right. The position he plays (creative midfielder) is probably one of the hardest positions in the world to fill right now. As it stands, United don't have anyone who is close to Scholes in this department. On ability alone, Ireland would certainly come close to the mark. I seriously doubt that Fergie would bite though.

If there was one Irish player who should be playing abroad, it's Ireland. I'd say if you put him in a Juventus or Roma team, he would revel in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

You opened a can of worms there! Having said that, I think you're kinda right. The position he plays (creative midfielder) is probably one of the hardest positions in the world to fill right now. As it stands, United don't have anyone who is close to Scholes in this department. On ability alone, Ireland would certainly come close to the mark. I seriously doubt that Fergie would bite though.

If there was one Irish player who should be playing abroad, it's Ireland. I'd say if you put him in a Juventus or Roma team, he would revel in the role.

What next ,Bebe close to replacing Ronaldo??!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

What on earth does Houllier mean by this? Why is his manager telling his agent that he's not pulling his weight in games? Is this how modern managers relay instructions to their players - through their agents?

Unless athe agent was asking Houllier on Ireland's behalf why he wasnt getting much game time.

Sounds a crazy thing thing to be happening but you are talking about Stephen Ireland here.

He is playing abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

He is playing abroad.
    Shítball Irish league hardly counts.

Shítball Irish league hardly counts.

He is from Cobh, why would he be playing up north?

Unless, you are yet another barstooler who doesn't even know the name of the local professional league that he sneers at.

Hope santy brings you an inflatable hammer

Advertisement