Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bureau de Change

Options
  • 21-12-2010 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Where would be the best place in Dublin to buy South African Rand? And how long does it usually take to order? I usually just take money out abroad at an ATM, but want to give some as a present (doesn’t need to be for Christmas Day but before the New Year if possible). I presume the airport (if it has them) is probably the worst?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

Most banks stock a small supply try your local bank and they only order FX cash once a week usually on a Monday and receive delivery during the week so your probably out of luck for them getting in a special order this week. Try Bank of Ireland they usually have a small amount in stock. You could always ring first wait for the foreign exchange option and check they are in stock. Hope this helps.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I know for definite that BOI carry a float of Rand, but definitely ring before you go in, with the Christmas period the foreign exchange will be very busy. I know in my branch we usually do 3 orders and get 3 deliveries of FX per week, because we're a very busy branch, but with the upcoming bank holidays etc, and also the bad weather, there'll be fewer deliveries. You're better off ordering in advance to ensure you're not dissappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

Hiya, thanks for the replies. I’m actually living in Gibraltar, but assumed they wouldn’t have any in my bank here and that I might have a better chance at home, but I asked today and they did!

Advertisement