Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Wran Boys" Anyone going out this year?

Options
  • 21-12-2010 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I know its a thing of the past but were making a revival in a big way this year in Kilkenny. Anyone else going out this year? Such a pity to see it dying off when its such a big part of our tradition and heritage. How do people feel about Wran Boys coming into pubs? Welcome or intrusion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

daddyof2 wrote: »
    I know its a thing of the past but were making a revival in a big way this year in Kilkenny. Anyone else going out this year? Such a pity to see it dying off when its such a big part of our tradition and heritage. How do people feel about Wran Boys coming into pubs? Welcome or intrusion?

Is it not Wren boys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 daddyof2

Sure is but always referred to as "Wran Boys"!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Ah the poor aul Wren.

When the wheel of life runs out and peace comes over me
    Just take me back to that old town between the hills and sea.
    I'll take my rest in those green fields, the place where life began,
    With those Boys of Barr na Sráide who hunted for the wren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Our version was always;

The Wren, The Wren,
    The King of all Birds,
    On St. Stephens' Day,
    Was caught in the furs,
    Up with the Kettle,
    Down with the Pan,
    Give me a Penny,
    To Bury the Wren,

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

Ceoltoiri Chluain tarbh are keeping the tradition alive on Dublin's northside. We meet at Grainger's pub on the Malahide Road around 12:30 on Stephen's Day and get up to all manner of divilment for the afternoon.

See the photos from last year here

• Advertisement
Advertisement