Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men in tights

Options
  • 21-12-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Three years ago I scoffed at guys wearing cycling shorts. Two years ago I scoffed at guys wearing jammers for swimming. Until last month I scoffed at guys in tights. Oh how the mighty have fallen. It seems the right kit does help with training.... but how long did it take you to give in? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I got a pair of tights a couple of months ago when Lidl last had their running gear in stock. To be honest, I put them on and thought to myself "This isn't a good look for me".

But you know what, they are the most comfortable things to wear when running. I had been wearing tracksuit bottoms previously and they were a bit too big and seem to flail around in the wind and stuff. The tights feel much more 'aerodynamic' :)

They are very comfortable and the first few times wearing them I was self conscious but now I don't care too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

kingQuez wrote: »
    Three years ago I scoffed at guys wearing cycling shorts. Two years ago I scoffed at guys wearing jammers for swimming. Until last month I scoffed at guys in tights. Oh how the mighty have fallen. It seems the right kit does help with training.... but how long did it take you to give in? :D

People who run etc tend to get more practical and down to earth and less superficial as time progresses I reckon.

You get reminded of the tights thing every now and then though:

I was running home from work over the Harp ridge in Dublin and towards the 5 lamps. 3 young lads, spotted me. I was wearing tights and a longish running jacket. First lad says the standard "nice legs mister!". Second guy goes "great set o' balls mister!" although he couldnt see either way due to my jacket. That got a few laughs in the vicinity. The third was half the size of the other two lads, a child no older than 3. He was under serious pressure now to come up with something. He thought hard and then he had the moment of genius. "Look!" he shouts pointing at me, "the fuukin eejit is wearin a wetsuit!!!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I wear tights the whole time, I have no dignity at this stage anyway.... pretty sure it went out the window when I have a specific 'piss bottle' in my garage beside the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I folded faster than an Anglo developer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

still battling along with my lovely blue legs out, actually they don't really feel the cold, the neither regions feeling it these days though, cycling shorts might not be as drafty, looks like i might be about to take the first step, jammers next ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i bought some last year as an emergency if i ever needed them. well i swallowed my oride and tried them when the first cold snap came and i have to say i love them. I run in them most days now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I am comteplating running up to Liffey Valley with the tights on, doing the christmas shopping and then running home. Would I survive such an ordeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Have leggings but not brave enough (or warm enough) to run without shorts over them yet. Only got them when I was cycling in france in september and had no leg warmers and they were the only thing I could find. Dignity is going out the window though so I'm sure the I'll be running balls out in them soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

mloc123 wrote: »
    I wear tights the whole time, I have no dignity at this stage anyway.... pretty sure it went out the window when I have a specific 'piss bottle' in my garage beside the turbo.

That's just nasty. It's a pity its such a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ryath wrote: »
    Have leggings but not brave enough (or warm enough) to run without shorts over them yet. Only got them when I was cycling in france in september and had no leg warmers and they were the only thing I could find. Dignity is going out the window though so I'm sure the I'll be running balls out in them soon :D

Get rid of the shorts, it's not a good look. It gives the impression that the person not confident about the size of their manhood and therefore will hide behind these lose fitting shorts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Get rid of the shorts, it's not a good look. It gives the impression that the person not confident about the size of their manhood and therefore will hide behind these lose fitting shorts :D

I wear knee length and 3/4 length shorts so don't think it looks that bad. Would agree with wearing anything shorter though would not be a good look. As for hidding the manhood I wear cycling shorts, jammers swimming and few times even less on holidays ;). I think its more the fact leggings go bellow the knee and it does look like you're wearing tights. I have to get a mankini for doing triathlons next year so as I said dignity will be going out the window. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

LMAO...That's classic.

As for tights, I've been wearing them running for the last 2 years or so. I saw one brave sole running in shorts todays. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

pgibbo wrote: »
    I saw one brave sole running in shorts todays. :eek:

You gotta be tough if you're going to be stupid

You gotta be tough if you're going to be stupid

Nice soft snow in the racecourse in Galway so it was risk free running! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I've got a bucket. Very important not to knock it over after a 4-5 hour turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I did a triathlon in speedos just to see what the big deal was. Wasn't too bad until I lost the keys to my car and had to spend about an hour in speedos and a tit top after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I have been wearing those Aldi/Lidl ones for a couple of years now, i must have a massive brass neck on me, I often even pop into the local supermarket after a run to get the shopping, never even thought about it till i saw this thread

catweazle wrote: »
    I have been wearing those Aldi/Lidl ones for a couple of years now, i must have a massive brass neck on me, I often even pop into the local supermarket after a run to get the shopping, never even thought about it till i saw this thread

I thought they barred you from the shop for wearing tights....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am comteplating running up to Liffey Valley with the tights on, doing the christmas shopping and then running home. Would I survive such an ordeal?

No, the christmas shopping would kill you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I remember years ago whilst on the bus seeing guys flashing past with tights thinking to myself "your an awful gob****e, get home immediately and take them off and never cross your door again wearing that getup".

Fast forward 5 years and im that gob****e with no shame wearing unsuitably tight clothing. I love getting older, embarassament and shame no longer factor in my life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I think that we all have to accept that once you are out running, your dignity is long gone. Actually, in the last week, members of my family have questioned whether my sanity went with it.

Its splitting hairs whether running in running tights make you look sillier than running in shorts.

To the rest of the world, we all look silly, and we DON'T CARE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have been wearing them all winter. Black under armour coldgear tights with shorts and a coldgear top with a larger race short on top. I normally have knee length socks pulled right up over the tights as well, couldn't give a toss any more. I'm probably warmer than the person sitting driving in the car! :)

One morning though, I forgot to put the shorts over the tights, felt kind of nude but funny when I noticed. You think the Simpsons with Ned wearing the ski suit. "Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all, nothing at all!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Superman wears tights and I don't see or hear anyone complaining so I don't see why it should make any difference when I do :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

Only started wearing mine recently but will be taking them off again once the weather gets warmer! So next March that will be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

never ever wear running leggings and shorts. you look like a complete culchie:) never seen a decent or club runner wear that gear. seems its the jogging fraternity who go for that look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I just saw a video with Anton Krupicka, and guess what, he was wearing tights.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Shorts over tights..nasty .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 runranrun

Invested in my first pair of running tights as the evening temperatures dropped the other week. Don't know why I didn't do it years ago, they're the most comfortable things to run in on a cold night. I've got the occasional comment from some teenagers and still a bit self-consciousness about my, er... man junk as it tends to retreat when I exercise especially in cold weather but damn it my legs never felt better when running!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Unless the teenagers are running along side you they're a temporary annoyance.

You can also wear a base layer of shorts under the tights to keep the bits a little warmer. I don't mean shorts, shorts, its the skin tight type that you'd see under rugby shorts. Also help to prevent any chaffing on the colder days too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Wow. This thread would qualify for an episode of Cold Case....2 years dead before it was dug up.

Advertisement