Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellites, do they 'throw' one?

Options
  • 21-12-2010 10:53am

Was into astronomy years ago, but sadly had not looked up in about 25 years until the recent meteor showers, and of course this morning's lunar eclipse. Decided to go look for the contellations again. However, the thought struck me, has a lot changed in the past 25 years? Is the whole thing "thrown" a little by satellites, in the sense that is there a proliferation of them and do they draw the eye or are they subtle? Is there any good site that will tell you where to watch out for them so that you won't get fooled by one thinking you are looking at something of note?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Conor74 wrote: »
    Is the whole thing "thrown" a little by satellites, in the sense that is there a proliferation of them and do they draw the eye or are they subtle?

Visible satellites are very low and fast, you can't mistake them for stars/planets etc.

www.heavens-above.com has very good satellite tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭John mac

what about geostationary ones? astra etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

John mac wrote: »

Good point, i read that theres only one area that a satellite can be geostationary though? Assimov!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

John mac wrote: »

They aren't visible, being 36,000 km away. Stuff you can see is only a few hundred km up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Assimov!

Right genre, wrong man. The Clarke Belt is named after Arthur C. Clarke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

hbr wrote: »
    Right genre, wrong man. The Clarke Belt is named after Arthur C. Clarke.

I know i meant thats where i read it-Asimov, "X stands for unknown"

Advertisement