Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best shotgun barrel length to get??

Options
  • 21-12-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting a semi-auto shotgun and can't make up my mind as to what barrel length to get 26" or 28". I want a sort of all round do it all gun.

I'm leaning towards the Beretta Urika 2 light at the moment, 3" chamber.

It will be maily used for a bit of vermine, rabbits and foxes, and a little bird shooting. I may shoot a few clays but it's not going to be high on the list as a reason.
    I was thinking that the 26" is better in the field and I could use some extended chokes for the extra length if I needed it, say for fox and duck shooting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It depends what feels right to you, and how the gun is constructed. For instance, in an O/U sporter, I feel good with 30" barrels, but my light SxS has 28" barrels and that feels perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

clivej wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting a semi-auto shotgun and can't make up my mind as to what barrel length to get 26" or 28". I want a sort of all round do it all gun.

It will be maily used for a bit of vermine, rabbits and foxes, and a little bird shooting. I may shoot a few clays but it's not going to be high on the list as a reason.
    I was thinking that the 26" is better in the field and I could use some extended chokes for the extra length if I needed it, say for fox and duck shooting.
    I think you have answered your question.

I had an extended choke on my old 11-87 which was ideal for long range ducks.

Did you look at Remington Versa max, Remington offer a ton of extended chokes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I thought the urika 2's had a 3.5 inch chamber. a mate had one and i didn't care for it too much. very chunky, and i'm only a little guy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Jonty wrote: »
    I thought the urika 2's had a 3.5 inch chamber. a mate had one and i didn't care for it too much. very chunky, and i'm only a little guy

No i think thats the Beretta Xtrema that has the 3 1/2" chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

barrel length will not make a difference for range purposes, i find the longer 28/30 inch barrel better for pointability and quick target aquisition

• Advertisement

barrel length will not make a difference for range purposes, i find the longer 28/30 inch barrel better for pointability and quick target aquisition

With the semi autos you have the extra length of the ejection port that give you that extra length so in that respect a 26" semi is like a 29" barrel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

The shorter the barrel, the easier to swing. (moment of inertia)

The longer the barrel, the greater muzzle velocity. (impulse - force *time)

In general, the 28" is probably middle of the road. The 26" would be great for up close swings, like skeet. The 30" would be great for those ducks on the Shannon that know just how to stay out of reach.

Also, consider that you can get a 1" or 2" extended choke for many shotguns these days. Could help make a 26" almost a 28".

I think I would go with the 28".

You can always cut it later.:D

Just kidding...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

correct me if i'm wrong but i think semi auto's aren't allowed at clay grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

declan1980 wrote: »

They are allowed, sometimes frowned upon by snooty shooters:D, but no reason not to be allowed, just a little more safety, bolt to rear when not in use, like breaking open u/o or sxs.

Well lads my choice was made up for me as i have agreed to get a 28" beretta urika 391 semi, as new, off donedeal. Have yet to view it but will do when the weather clears up some what

• Advertisement

declan1980 wrote: »

Brought one of these home from the States - two pieces in two bags.
    s7_230008_999_01?rgn=0,0,1720,2000&scl=5.2631578947368425&fmt=jpeg&id=0Bz5DoofOkhcDa0NQlMykr
    Hook it up to a car and set it up in a field and don't have to listen to anyone whine.
    Well lads my choice was made up for me as i have agreed to get a 28" beretta urika 391 semi, as new, off donedeal. Have yet to view it but will do when the weather clears up some what

Congrats and well wear. You cannot go wrong with a Beretta. Thought about the Beretta, then the SBE. Don't really know what to get. Like the Winchester SX3 as well. For now I will stick to my beater gun - Mossberg 500.

FISMA wrote: »
    Brought one of these home from the States - two pieces in two bags.
    s7_230008_999_01?rgn=0,0,1720,2000&scl=5.2631578947368425&fmt=jpeg&id=0Bz5DoofOkhcDa0NQlMykr

Hook it up to a car and set it up in a field and don't have to listen to anyone whine.

Congrats and well wear. You cannot go wrong with a Beretta. Thought about the Beretta, then the SBE. Don't really know what to get. Like the Winchester SX3 as well. For now I will stick to my beater gun - Mossberg 500.

I like the look of that yoke
    what was the damage??? (price)

Prepare to be depressed.

I got it for around $350 - shipping included and yes, that's in dollars.

Depressing price, huh?

Advertisement