Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small fire on train. Drogheda to Dublin.

Options
  • 21-12-2010 12:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

My sister just rang.
    She had an appointment in Dublin hospital so was getting the train.
    Got on at Drogheda but by Laytown, the train was apparently on fire!
    They had to get everyone off it fast at Laytown. ALL are ok.

Arrangements are being made (if possible given the current weather) for alternative train to come soon to take them the rest of the way!

Anyone travelling up that direction, allow for further possible delays!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Biggins wrote: »
    My sister just rang.
    She had an appointment in Dublin hospital so was getting the train.
    Got on at Drogheda but by Laytown, the train was apparently on fire!
    They had to get everyone off it fast at Laytown. ALL are ok.

Arrangements are being made (if possible given the current weather) for alternative train to come soon to take them the rest of the way!

Anyone travelling up that direction, allow for further possible delays!

Trains going on fire happen quite frequently,unlucky that it happened to your sister on today of all day's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Nothing out of the ordinary tbh, could've been a brake dragging or depending on the loco an overheating engine from trying to keep the heat up in the carriages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Trains going on fire happen quite frequently,unlucky that it happened to your sister on today of all day's!

Trains do not go on fire quite frequently. Where on earth did you get that idea from?

Trains do not go on fire quite frequently. Where on earth did you get that idea from?

When I say frequently I don't mean everyday of the week but certainly the 29K train's have been very faulty since their arrival in 2005. In the last year in particular I've been on a few train's which have went on fire,the last being about 3 weeks ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Seannew1 wrote: »
    When I say frequently I don't mean everyday of the week but certainly the 29K train's have been very faulty since their arrival in 2005. In the last year in particular I've been on a few train's which have went on fire,the last being about 3 weeks ago.
    Crikey!
    While todays was only a small thing, the above is still not a good sign!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Paddy_Smith

I was heading up to Dundalk about 2 weeks ago, and the train went on fire hey!!!

I eventually had to get a taxi up to Dundalk hey, and it bloody cost me 50 euro hey!!!

The world has gone mad hey!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I was heading up to Dundalk about 2 weeks ago, and the train went on fire hey!!!

I eventually had to get a taxi up to Dundalk hey, and it bloody cost me 50 euro hey!!!

The world has gone mad hey!!!!

Hey, did the train actually combust or was it just smoke from a sticking brake block as a previous poster mentioned? If so, there must be a lot of burnt-out carriages lying around the railway judging by all these 'fires'.

Hey, did the train actually combust or was it just smoke from a sticking brake block as a previous poster mentioned? If so, there must be a lot of burnt-out carriages lying around the railway judging by all these 'fires'.
    There was smoke underneath one of the carriages and he had to stop it in draaaaaaaaawda hey!

I'm paying nearly 2000 euro a year for this rubbish hey!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Yeah I wouldn't bother with the poster you quoted but since I started keeping half an eye on the situation it's been happening at least 3-4 times per year when the loco has overheated and had to pull over, never mind the sticky brakes.
    I don't know which loco or carriage sets it is that are most affected but I think the Enterprise is borderline a lot of the time with the loco not being designed for both the weight of the load and the facilities on board.

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldn't bother with the poster you quoted but since I started keeping half an eye on the situation it's been happening at least 3-4 times per year when the loco has overheated and had to pull over, never mind the sticky brakes.
    I don't know which loco or carriage sets it is that are most affected but I think the Enterprise is borderline a lot of the time with the loco not being designed for both the weight of the load and the facilities on board.
    Sorry, but i'm entitled to my opinion. Just like you are, and everybody else.

• Advertisement

I wasn't saying that the train's were exploding or anything,just minor problems which happen to delay the train significantly,the brake situation with the 29k is common. Not 100% sure with the enterprise because I don't get to use them as often,last week the 8.00 dundalk/8.22 drogheda which was an enterprise broke down at Howth Junction so a friend told me and they had to get a DART in,otherwise I don't know much about their reliability.

Sorry, but i'm entitled to my opinion. Just like you are, and everybody else.

You are indeed. But when you write "draaawda", and use "hey" at the end of each sentence, in an attempt to be funny, you can't honestly expect people to take your opinion as seriously as the next persons? :confused:

You are indeed. But when you write "draaawda", and use "hey" at the end of each sentence, in an attempt to be funny, you can't honestly expect people to take your opinion as seriously as the next persons? :confused:
    You're absolutely right.....

But that's the way I write(by putting 'hey' at the end of each sentence, because it's a habit, also they say that up in Dundalk).

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

But that's the way I write(by putting 'hey' at the end of each sentence, because it's a habit, also they say that up in Dundalk).

Cooley maybe,Dundalk never!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Hear it more in Ardee than anywhere else. Living in Dundalk a good while now and it's rare I here hey at the end of a sentence...unless it's from me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

I thought it was funny, cheer up! ;)

CPL 593H

Cooley maybe,Dundalk never!!
    Insurgent wrote: »
    Hear it more in Ardee than anywhere else. Living in Dundalk a good while now and it's rare I here hey at the end of a sentence...unless it's from me :p

From living in Draaaaaaaaawda, I have said 'hey' my whole life.

Now in Dundalk, the people say it aswell.

Advertisement