Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn - Hot Chicken Baguette

• 21-12-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

New Superquinn in Heuston South Quarter, hot chicken baguette with lettuce and sweet chilli sauce. No sign up relating to it so only found out when it was presented to me.
    €5.49. I asked the girl serving me if was it correct and she said yes.

These are usually €3.50 in most places and Spar I think have been doing them for €1.99.

Asked to see the manager on the way out but he was unavailable. She said she would say it to him.

Never again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

To be honest, I'd expect a Superquinn to be cheaper than a Spar or Centra as those places are pitched as being a bit more expensive but they are in convenient locations and with convenient hours.

The Spar in the IFSC, half way along the Luas Line to the Point does a chicken fillet baguette with lettuce and mayo and a bottle of mineral water for1.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Superquinn do the nicest chicken fillet sandwiches in the world. You can keep your hard, dry, ropey country of origin Spar chicken fillets anyday.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Pricey all right. Always check beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Should be 4.50 max for that.
    Worth raising it with the manager. Superquinn usually v good to reply to any customer queries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Yep thats the price they charge, to be fair the bread roll is much bigger than a spar Cuisine De France baguette and you get more chicken and it seems to be of much better quality.

That said, its bloody pricy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They charge less than that in Superquinn Rathborne I think! :eek:

In fairness, the ones you get in Spar etc are muck - as in you've no idea where the chicken has come from or what is pumped into it. With superquinn, they are using Irish chicken which is fully traceable and they're using superior bread. It's expensive yeh, but it's not comparable really to Spar/Centra. In saying that, I wouldn't spend over a fiver on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I can honestly say I noticed no difference in either the quality or size of the bread roll. The chicken breast sliced up for me was probably a little bigger than usual but I can't say I noticed a difference in meat quality.

So to sum up it was in no way worth the extra cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Seifer wrote: »
    I can honestly say I noticed no difference in either the quality or size of the bread roll. The chicken breast sliced up for me was probably a little bigger than usual but I can't say I noticed a difference in meat quality.

So to sum up it was in no way worth the extra cost.

so why did you pay it then?

damoz wrote: »
    so why did you pay it then?
    Because they don't let you eat it before paying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Because they don't let you eat it before paying?

If you werent happy with it then dont buy it . Simple. If more people did this then there would be less rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

5.49 is pricey but as others have said, the chicken in the spar ones is muck, tasltes like muck and is mass produced in various countries and definitely not Irish.

The suerquinn one is breast of decent irish chicken, and if its the standard superquinn quality will have more flavour.

Check the cost price of fillets - standard frozen breaded fillets can be had for well under a euro. A fresh decent fillet is about €2.

Yes its expensive, but at about 1.50 more than the 3.99 standard, probably worth it.

91011 wrote: »
    5.49 is pricey but as others have said, the chicken in the spar ones is muck, tasltes like muck and is mass produced in various countries and definitely not Irish.
    The Spar one's aren't muck. I don't care whether my chicken is mass produced or if it's Irish.
    The suerquinn one is breast of decent irish chicken, and if its the standard superquinn quality will have more flavour.
    The chicken is covered in spicy breadcrumbs and most people get some kind of sauce on it too; you can't discern any kind of improved flavour through all that.
    Check the cost price of fillets - standard frozen breaded fillets can be had for well under a euro. A fresh decent fillet is about €2.

Yes its expensive, but at about 1.50 more than the 3.99 standard, probably worth it.
    A hot chicken baguette is not exactly high-quality dining. It's a quick and easy lunch and should be priced accordingly.
    It was in no way worth it. It was the same as any other hot chicken baguette I've ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

The Spar one's aren't muck. I don't care whether my chicken is mass produced or if it's Irish.

The chicken is covered in spicy breadcrumbs and most people get some kind of sauce on it too; you can't discern any kind of improved flavour through all that.

A hot chicken baguette is not exactly high-quality dining. It's a quick and easy lunch and should be priced accordingly.
    It was in no way worth it. It was the same as any other hot chicken baguette I've ever had.

I agree that that is far to much to pay for a roll, but thats what superquinn do. The bread is baked in store,not the reheated cuisine de france bread spar etc sell and the chicken is good quality Irish chicken. Yea its far too much to pay for a roll, but you would be better comparing it to the likes of bagel factory etc then to centra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I just had a decent chicken filet roll in Londis yesterday. Every 5 or 6 weeks they have it on special offer: €2.50, they call it 'Weekly Madness'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Spar on Fosters Avenue in Mount Merrion have had a deal on for the last few months, chicken fillet roll, can of coke and bag of Tayto for €2.99!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭kirving

The SuperQuinn ones are FAR nicer than the crap you get Spar/Centra, and they know it, so they charge more.

I must try one of these Superquinn fillet rolls as the Spar and Centra ones seem fine to me. I'd be surprised if Superquinn's bread is produced any different to Spar and the Irish chicken element is just a decoy. If chicken is reared and slaughtered in Poland but breaded at Moy Park in Tyrone, it can be described as "Irish". And I'd be doubtful if chicken, even if reared in Ireland, is any better. What's more important is if the chicken is free range or Organic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You still paid for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

I worked in Centra's deli (i left about 6 months ago). They used to order chicken fillets off Cuisine de France (they were nice btw) but later on they started ordering them off another supplier. I was surprised to discover that the fillets were imported from china! Wouldnt think my chicken (along with my shoes) come from China.

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    You still paid for it though.
    Why is this ridiculous point being made again? What was the alternative? Throw it on a shelf and walk out? Not gonna waste food like that.
    The fact I paid for it doesn't make it any less of a rip off. The point of the thread was to let others know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

go to londis, the one in tallaght you can chicken fillet roll with cheese and bacon and whatever sauce, plus a cup of coffee for €3 and its damn tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Why is this ridiculous point being made again? What was the alternative? Throw it on a shelf and walk out? Not gonna waste food like that.
    The fact I paid for it doesn't make it any less of a rip off. The point of the thread was to let others know.

Alternative is say "No, I don't want it, that's a rip off" and they offer it to the next person who comes in... Don't think you're getting any sympathy today...

The alternative was not to pay a price you thought was a rip-off. Hardly ridiculous or earth-shattering.

Groinshot wrote: »
    Alternative is say "No, I don't want it, that's a rip off" and they offer it to the next person who comes in... Don't think you're getting any sympathy today...
    CiaranC wrote: »
    The alternative was not to pay a price you thought was a rip-off. Hardly ridiculous or earth-shattering.

Give it to next customer? Lol. They would just throw it out.
    I'm not looking for sympathy; it's not like it broke the bank to pay for it but it was still a rip off.

You're right, it does seem expensive for a chicken fillet baguette.

But I will say this, if I walked into a butchers and had a choice between chicken fillets from Thailand or chicken fillets from a named farm in Ireland, I know which I would choose - even for double the price!

You're right, it does seem expensive for a chicken fillet baguette.

But I will say this, if I walked into a butchers and had a choice between chicken fillets from Thailand or chicken fillets from a named farm in Ireland, I know which I would choose - even for double the price!

A named farm in Ireland is a lot different to 'produce of Ireland' though. Just because labelled as produce of Ireland does not mean it was farmed here. And a named farm in Ireland could be a mechanised shed with battery chickens eating their own filth, even with the name of Freedom Fields Farm.

The one food that I would always buy Irish though is beef or dairy. I have eaten steaks all round the world and I could not be convinced that there is any better beef than Irish although you have to pay for it!. Same with the dairy. Buy a Cadburys Dairy Milk in Newry and one ten miles away in Dundalk and see the difference that the Irish milk makes. Best cows in the world are in Ireland.

A named farm in Ireland is a lot different to 'produce of Ireland' though. Just because labelled as produce of Ireland does not mean it was farmed here. And a named farm in Ireland could be a mechanised shed with battery chickens eating their own filth, even with the name of Freedom Fields Farm.

Could be, but Superquinn have extremely high standards when it comes to the meat which they sell so I highly doubt it.

I'm not looking for sympathy; it's not like it broke the bank to pay for it but it was still a rip off.

Have a read of this and see if you can grasp what Im getting at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why would they throw it out? If I ordered a burger in mcdonalds and if I then found I had no money I would be pretty sure they would put it back on the rack.

What would you have done if you only have a fiver on you? If it was me and I did have the money I would have just said I do not have enough and presumed it would be under €5.

Guys in my work get fillet rolls for about 4.50 in supervalu, that superquinn price sounds about right to me, they are a more expensive supermarket known for higher quality produce, I would have guessed it to be €5. It just seems high relative to the confusingly low prices in other places, a londis near me often has them for €1.50 or 1.70, while I think a similar size baguette in supervalu is over €1, and quality breaded fillets in a butchers or supermarket counter are up to €2.50. In abras I think the chicken fillet baguette is 5.60

Advertisement