Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn - Hot Chicken Baguette

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

rubadub wrote: »
    Why would they throw it out? If I ordered a burger in mcdonalds and if I then found I had no money I would be pretty sure they would put it back on the rack.
    McDonald's != Deli. counter.
    McDonald's offers a limited selection of products. A deli. offers infinite combinations of products so they will not hold onto a specific sandwich in the hope some one comes along to order the exact same thing.
    What would you have done if you only have a fiver on you? If it was me and I did have the money I would have just said I do not have enough and presumed it would be under €5.
    Paid with my credit card.
    It just seems high relative to the confusingly low prices in other places
    What on Earth does this mean? The standard is set by the majority which I outlined in the OP is about €3.50 and Spar doing them for €1.99. This has been confirmed by many replies in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Seifer wrote: »
    These are usually €3.50 in most places and Spar I think have been doing them for €1.99.

+1 for the IFSC Spar, good value! I think you can buy bottled water for 50c extra as well

Been said before but if I thought it was overpriced I'd just hand it back to the staff. Have done it once before. The staff don't mind

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Got this twice last week in the new superquinn in rathgar and it cost me 4.50 both times. Went today and bought 2 and didnt even look at the prices, only saw when I got home that they'd been 5.50 each, shocked they upped the price a euro within a couple of weeks of opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Why is this ridiculous point being made again? What was the alternative? Throw it on a shelf and walk out? Not gonna waste food like that.
    The fact I paid for it doesn't make it any less of a rip off. The point of the thread was to let others know.

Happened to me before in Centra where a ham and cheese sandwich when given to me was priced at €4.50 or there abouts. I asked them to check the price and when the shop assistant said it was correct I said "No thanks!". It's not hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A deli. offers infinite combinations of products so they will not hold onto a specific sandwich in the hope some one comes along to order the exact same thing.
    Fair enough, then you should be comparing them to exactly what you got. Some of the cheapo ones have specific ingredients, so they are more like a mcdonalds setup -without infinite combos, I would say 75% get the same thing, I hear people asking for them in line and hear multiple orders in work when 1 lad is sent to get a load of them.

.e.g. in Londis the only question I am asked is do I want butter and/or mayo, and I reckon ~75% get both, like McDs they do premake them at busy times to speed the line along.

How many items/fillings did you get in yours? e.g. in the londis if I was to get cheese it ceases to be a cheap one and I think it jumps to about 4.50. It is often very bad value to get mulitple items as the more you ask for the less they tend to put in of each item.

I would expect the staff might get to eat it rather than throw it out too.
    Paid with my credit card.
    Well in future you will know you could use the excuse of no money. Or simply ask in advance for the price, people should do this more in pubs.
    What on Earth does this mean? The standard is set by the majority which I outlined in the OP is about €3.50 and Spar doing them for €1.99. This has been confirmed by many replies in the thread.
    And numerous replies told you of the difference in quality, so though they appear the same it is not really comparing like with like, e.g cheap mince might look like round mince but round can be 3 times the price, if you cannot tell the difference do not pay it. Last time I was in dunnes a breaded fillet from the hot counter was €2.60 on its own. My point it is really only these convenience stores have surprisingly cheap ones, supermarkets, takeaways and sandwich bars can be much higher and it makes sense when you price the ingredients up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

They have to display the price.

Is it one price per fillet roll or do you pay per item, ie lettuce etc?

I was in Superquinn in Waterford and spotted they make up pizzas but didn't see any price list near it, couldn't risk asking as I probably wouldn't have enough.

Anyone know do they do signs behind the counter or prices attached to the products?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

To be honest, I'd expect a Superquinn to be cheaper than a Spar or Centra as those places are pitched as being a bit more expensive but they are in convenient locations and with convenient hours.

The Spar in the IFSC, half way along the Luas Line to the Point does a chicken fillet baguette with lettuce and mayo and a bottle of mineral water for1.99.

You're delusional yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

The one food that I would always buy Irish though is beef or dairy. I have eaten steaks all round the world and I could not be convinced that there is any better beef than Irish although you have to pay for it!.

The best beef is Kobe beef from Japan. It only costs around €135 per steak :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

BK92 wrote: »
    The best beef is Kobe beef from Japan. It only costs around €135 per steak :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef

I've had Kobe beef in New York! It wasn't that expensive though but still dear.

It's all marketing though. I'd wager the best Irish steak is as good.

The Japs have a similar climate to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

I've had Kobe beef in New York! It wasn't that expensive though but still dear.

It's all marketing though. I'd wager the best Irish steak is as good.

The Japs have a similar climate to us.

Really ? What was it like ?

Well that was the price I got when I tried to buy it online from some American website claiming to sell the 'real-deal'. Was fillet steak though so maybe you ordered a different cut in NY ?

The Japanese do have a similar climate to us but I guess a lot of how any piece of steak tastes is down to how the cow is reared, the breed of cow, what it's fed, how it's slaughtered and how the meat is hung.

I've had some great (mostly striploin) steaks in the past few weeks and when I was in the States in June but I think if Irish butchers/supermarkets hung their meat properly then the steaks would be a lot better than they already are - don't get me wrong, they're pretty decent if cooked properly :). That's my two cents anyway ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xkariex

New Superquinn in Heuston South Quarter, hot chicken baguette with lettuce and sweet chilli sauce. No sign up relating to it so only found out when it was presented to me.
    €5.49. I asked the girl serving me if was it correct and she said yes.

These are usually €3.50 in most places and Spar I think have been doing them for €1.99.

Asked to see the manager on the way out but he was unavailable. She said she would say it to him.

Never again.
    There 4.49 exact you were overcharged go back and demand a refund !

3.99 for a wrap then..

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    They have to display the price.

Is it one price per fillet roll or do you pay per item, ie lettuce etc?

I was in Superquinn in Waterford and spotted they make up pizzas but didn't see any price list near it, couldn't risk asking as I probably wouldn't have enough.

Anyone know do they do signs behind the counter or prices attached to the products?
    Pizza are charged by weight there reasonable enough !

I must try one of these Superquinn fillet rolls as the Spar and Centra ones seem fine to me. I'd be surprised if Superquinn's bread is produced any different to Spar and the Irish chicken element is just a decoy. If chicken is reared and slaughtered in Poland but breaded at Moy Park in Tyrone, it can be described as "Irish". And I'd be doubtful if chicken, even if reared in Ireland, is any better. What's more important is if the chicken is free range or Organic.

Superquinn bread is completly different to any other shops! Baked fesh every day, actual qualified bakers, recipies are not even remotly the same as the others. if you ever tried it you would know this !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pure irish

Aaaaaarrrgggggggggg :mad:. im so sick of people complaining about superquinn!!! if u want decent food for a fair price (not cheap imported muck!!!!!!!!} then go in. If u dont an u want crap carboard rubbish then dont and go to centra,spar etc. these low cost deli items in centra are not irish and are used to get people in because most of there money is made from the deli and because theres so many conveinence stores around each other, so there trying to compete!! there is no way that u can compare the too. superquinn is a supermarket not a convienence store, so they dont have to buget down there deli. They sell the best, freshest, nicest food around and so what if they charge a little more for it. i would'nt mind but if people just went in and did a shop there they would not go back to dunnes, tesco aldi. There valu and offers are the best around and they just about the same price as the other big supermarkets which is saying alot considering they only have 25 stores. Both DUNNES and TESCO have way over 100 so can u imagine there buying power compared to SUPERQUINN so for god sake who is really giving out valu. Even instore everying is attention to detail stores are the best looking in the irish market so they also put the effort into that for the customer to. so to round up if u DONT want great custom, decent food and u wana save maybe 3 euro in the difference with the rest then SUPERquinn is not the place for you!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I work in SQ and the chicken fillet roll is 4.49, has been for 3 years since I started there. All the other places that I've gone to (Spar, Centra and SuperValu) all use that Cuisine De France rubbish bread and the SQ bread is probably twice the size and doesn't charge extra for any fillings so it's a fair enough price imo.

Advertisement