Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbers in Galway

Options
  • 21-12-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm new to Galway and just getting my bearings. looking for a decent barber that does evening work near me. I'm in Mervue Industrial Estate during the day for work (so a lunchtime would do too) or someone near the Dunnes in Terryland anytime in the evening. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is one beside Terryland Fruit&Veg. Dunno what time it closes.
    I'm sure there are a few in Liosbán as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Fat Tonys.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

snubbleste wrote: »
    There is one beside Terryland Fruit&Veg. Dunno what time it closes.
    Normally open later than most, and cheapest haircuts in town. I've been there several times because of the late hours but sadly haircuts are brutal.

Fat Tonys nearby in Liosbaun are nearby and do a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

More suggestions here. This thread has a 100 posts but is a bit old. Worth a read though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭squonk

Who's your favourite barber in Galway City? I'm looking to find somewhere decent at the moment as the oul' gruaige will be crying out for a bit of a chop soon. Last time I tried Fat Tony's in Liosban but it wasn't the greatest cut and I'd like something a bit better. Admittedly it might just be down to the particular person cutting my hair on that day but I'd like to find out where the rest of ye head to and where is particularly good. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Tom Nally FTW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

stay away from the fella beside the kings head anyway. Got the hair chopped there last week and not happy with it at all. Looked grand in the shop but then when I had a shower that night I realised the bits around my crown are about an inch longer than the rest, have to get my sister to fix it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭squonk

Where is Tony Nally? Would you mind including a location in any suggestions? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭MBateson

I think he is the guy beside the King's Head, could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

squonk wrote: »
    Where is Tony Nally? Would you mind including a location in any suggestions? Thanks!

I must be the only person to have gone there and been disappointed. Maybe he's good at styling metro guys hair or something, I just asked for a very basic cut and thought it was crooked and sh!t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

One Step Ahead on Abbeygate Street, great lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

You cant go wrong with the lads at House of Grafton on Shop Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

If you were nearer the other side of the city, I would recommend the Slovakian (I think) guy near Joyce's supermarket...great barber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sataction

I was charged €15 in the barbers in Westside Shopping Centre for a scissor cut. Thought it was extortionate. Go to Salthill now, the place near Mulhollands betting shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

zero19 wrote: »
    One Step Ahead on Abbeygate Street, great lads!

+1
    I've been going to the 3 lads in One Step Ahead for the last year and I find it a great barbers. They always do a good job and put in a good effort. They are dead sound as well.
    I used to go to Fat Tonys in Liosbán, they had some very good barbers when they opened first but then started hiring some rubbish ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

headmasters barber shop in mervue, there open through lunch and right beside you. next to the post office and the londis shop

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pauljw11

I've been going to Tom Nally (next to the King's Head) for 37 years, and never a bad haircut in all that time!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Another vote for One Step Ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Can anyone tell me if where I can get a good haircut in galway city centre at a reasonable rate?

Use the search button. It's come up often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with last thread on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

One Step Ahead x ∞
    Going there since I was finally allowed to pick my own barber when I was 12(15 years)
    The boys are sound, they know where I work/live/have been on holiday etc. but they don't know my name and now they can't ask because it'd be embarassing, for all concerned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

House of Grafton, cheap, take a long time on your hair to get it perfect, can't recommend them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

dmcg90 wrote: »
    House of Grafton, cheap, take a long time on your hair to get it perfect, can't recommend them enough.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

If you do not mind paying for a decent cut then Fat Tonys (lisobaun Ind Est) is the only place I would recommend - 5 years going there and have always been impressed.

During the xmas hols while on the last minute shopping run, I mistakenly popped into Tom Nallys for a hair cut. I will never again step foot in the place. An absolute shoody attempt at a haircut by a lady who has been present in that premises for over 10 years (last time I was in there).

Was left with what can only be described as a botched mullet (whcih I did nto ask for by the way), about 2 inches difference in height between left and right locks. Random areas cut to lenght with peices in between left untouched. Person doing the cuttting keep staggering against the chair and looked like she was about to pass out.

Once I got a good look at it when I arrived home I rang to complain and spoke to Tom himself - may as well have rang Santa Claus.

Great fun over the xmas hols with the scissors tidying it up never mind the slagging.

With such a good location - its time he put some money into tidying the place up and hiring some younger more skillful staff members.

So Fat tonys is my only suggestion and stay away from Tom Nallys unless you are going for something simple.

My 2 cents!
    D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Is the barber by Terryland veg really the cheapest in Galway? Thats quite suprising in these recession driven times that you can't get a hair cut for 5 or 6 euro. Could people post up prices some persons cheap for a haircut varies enormously, I know it did for me depending on my financial state and length of my hair.

Yeah I think it is the cheapest. But you don't get the best haircut going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

gandroid wrote: »
    If you were nearer the other side of the city, I would recommend the Slovakian (I think) guy near Joyce's supermarket...great barber.
    Shaven headed fellow? Think the place's name is Kozzy's. He's greatalright. 5 haircuts and get one free is also handy.

The place beside the King's Head always suited me grand, although every time I've gone there, it was the woman who cut it and I've no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

another thumbs up for one step ahead the 2 brothers are sound,
    also Healys on high street good aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mangled

where is the best value barbers in town for a student? been to kozzy, didnt like and expensive! also been to the fella beside taffs, again was not great.
    there must be student deals out there that someone can help me with. Cheers !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement