Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil?

• 21-12-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Flying into rio in the beginning of February and travelling north along the coast
    through Salvador and onto Central America. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on places to stop along route. Will be backpacking and on a tight enough budget. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Hi there OP,
    how are you going from Brazil to Central, through the Guyanas or through Bolivia, Peru etc.

Brasilia, capital of Brazil, is an interesting place to see, but not really worth going too much off track to go there just to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sn07

Hey Imme,

Will be heading through the Guyanas to go to Central America, then back down the west coast to Santiago in Chile, have you been through these areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

sn07 wrote: »
    Hey Imme,

Will be heading through the Guyanas to go to Central America, then back down the west coast to Santiago in Chile, have you been through these areas?

I've been through every country in South America. Haven't been to Central yet.

To get to French Guyana I bussed up through central Brazil via Sao Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Brasilia, up to Belem, took a boat across the Amazon delta to Macapa.

Then bus again to Oyapoque, canoe across the Oyapoque to St. Georges de L'Oiapoque in French Guyana.

Then travelled across The Guyanas but got a bit stuck in Guyana. It's not possible to go from Guyana to Venezuela (which is next door) overland, as the two neighbours have a historic border dispute which is still ongoing. Usually it's possible to take a bus down through Guyana to Boa Vista in Brazil and then a us to get to Venezuela.

When I tried to do this the road was flooded so I decided to go back to Suriname (which you need a visa for, easy to get from Surinamese consulate in Cayenne, Fr Guyana for 40Euro).

I then flew to Trinidad in the Caribbean and took a ferry from there to Venezuela and on to Colombia etc.

French Guyana is by far the most expensive of the three Guyanas. It's a part of France so they use the Euro as their currency. Maybe check out Couch Surfing etc options if you're on a budget as hotel (pretty much all that's available) prices can come in around 50 Euro for the lowest level hotels.

The Guyanas are a place apart in South America. They are not visited too often by tourists. They're quite separate from their neighbours given their history and language. In many ways they're more like islands of the Caribbean than an integral part of South America.

Advertisement