Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket distance from kitchen sink

Options
  • 21-12-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Hey guys anybody know the minimum distance of a socket from the kitchen sink ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

i was told a while back a good indication was if u have one hand in the sink u should not be able to reach a socket with the other hand,make sense to me so thats what i go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

that's up on on 2metres:) doubt there's any need for that distance

dunno what the rules say

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The rules on this were greatly relaxed/overlooked with the apartment boom, the hand on the sink and not being able to touch a socket was an old rule of thumb alright, the council inspectors were particular about that, I think filling a plugged in kettle was the big issue. Many apartment kitchens are not even 2M long now anyway.

You will see sockets installed very near but never directly under or above sinks these days. But I guess if you have the space then it's a good one to follow if you can, I agree with you though, if the space is there then using it safely would be the way to go.

Advertisement