Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad snow

Options
  • 21-12-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

This might seem a bit funny but i am stuck at home with the kids as the school is closed, being bored and trying to get away from boards for abit of fresh air i went out to build a snowman but the snow is pure dry powder and
    wont stick cant roll a snow ball wont pick up any snow
    Tried to build an igloo but snow is too soft to make blocks even to pile up a heap of snow it wont stick together after a few freezing nights its still dry powder.
    Any ideas why
    I have seen snow like this on a sking holiday before but never in ireland.
    and no its not cocane its just dry snow:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

think its because the snow is to cold:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Crap itn't it... We had that two weeks ago as well, 5 inches of dust that was useless for the kids..
    Now we have 1 inch of the same rubbish...

I was hoping for a decent fall of good regular snow but nothing yet.. I know lots of folks are put out by it but the kid inside me wants to be out playing in the snow with my daughters...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's because it's mostly not snow, it's soft hail or 'graupel'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yeah if it snows around 0c it's better for snowballs and snowmen (Not snowmens snowballs).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

The yellow snow makes the best snow balls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Confab wrote: »
    It's because it's mostly not snow, it's soft hail or 'graupel'.

That makes the best snowballs tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Spray it with a small amount of water and then be quick about making whatever your making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

thanks thats why I havent seen it in ireland before we dont have this cold temps with snow too often.
    I think ill stay clear of the yellow snow
    last year my great dane would make straight for the snow man and lift his leg every time he got out wasnt long before we had a yellow snow man:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

It is very powdery dry snow, nice for walking on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's the Gerry Ryan effect.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I think its just because the temp is so cold that the snow flakes cant stick together, usually when we get snow its marginal with the temperature above zero at times so the snow melts slightly causing it to stick together.

Might not be good for playing in but its great for the footpaths, its like walking on sand so far this week which although it takes extra effort for every step its not at all slippery

Advertisement