Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird feeder - hang on a tree on the street?

• 21-12-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hello all

I was just wondering if anyone has ever hung a bird feeder on a tree on a public street, or thinks there might be an issue with doing so?

I live in an apartment, with no balcony, but have seen lots of hungry looking birds about. Should I stick a feeder in a lowish branch of a tree (I'll keep an eye on it and top it up when it runs low).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Think it should be fine. My Mum does it outside her house.

Just check that the seeds haven't frozen together during the night.

A few halved apples below the tree (if there's room) would go down well with the blackbirds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Think it should be fine. My Mum does it outside her house.

Just check that the seeds haven't frozen together during the night.

A few halved apples below the tree (if there's room) would go down well with the blackbirds.

Cheers, I've just trekked down to the local hardware shop, all they had was a peanut feeder. I'm going to stick it up, hopefully there will be some visitors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

If you've a drill and a few jam jar lids handy and a bit of wire, then drill two holes in the jam jar lid and (this is fairly obvious sorry) use the wire to suspend it from a tree branch.

You can put some mixed seed on this. It's also small enough that the smaller birds will be able to feed from it without the larger birds eating all the food (though you wouldn't believe what the starlings can manage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

No drill, but I might be able to rig something up - Blue Peter time!

I threw some halved apples out earlier on the way to the shop - the blackbirds are loving them already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I wouldn't use animal fats in case it attracts rats, if its hanging in a tree a squirrel may take the lot but there are steps to make it semi-squirrel proof.

Halved apples should cause no problem at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

who's gonna stop you? go for it

Advertisement