Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BIG FREEZE thread!.

Options
  • 21-12-2010 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Ok lads, I'm a few weeks late with this one - however its here now.

Please post up any update's in your area re. road conditions, pavement conditions, public transport restrictions or if you can offer help to anyone.

I'll kick it off - I'm travelling from Dublin 7 to Dublin 13 (via the M50) at approx 7pm this evening, if anyone is stuck without public transport PM me.

Any updates on the Navan Rd & M50 pls?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Dublin Traffic Cameras

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

Dublin Traffic Updates

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Dublin.aspx

http://twitter.com/AAROADWATCH

Just posting these if people need 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

Just took me over 2 hours to get from Whitehall Church to Swords, including waiting on the bus. Swords Village is ridiculous and its slow through Santry as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Dublin Bus have been updating their website with bus route news every hour or so.

... That was the M50 last night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

terenure is really bad, anyone considering taking the usual shortcut from rathgar road through tower ave/whitton rd. to get onto the terenure road should reconsider, cars are sliding down the hill at the bottom of whitton road

ps. anyone any idea what edenmore is like?

Better half got off work at 1 and is only at Grange Road now from getting a 16!

:(

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    Better half got off work at 1 and is only at Grange Road now from getting a 16!

:(

last night was a real eye opener for me up there. i posted a thread about it last night. i started walking from quinlans to get down to the grange road at around 6. there was a 49 in traffic at the star building. about an hour and a bit later i returned and the same bus was only at vaughans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

terenure is really bad

Yeah, it is. My road is completely snowed under.

Templelogue and Rathfarnam roads were awful last night and today. Traffic is literally at a stand-still. A lot of the cars are skidding on the roads too.

last night was a real eye opener for me up there. i posted a thread about it last night. i started walking from quinlans to get down to the grange road at around 6. there was a 49 in traffic at the star building. about an hour and a bit later i returned and the same bus was only at vaughans

Yeah well believe it. After work I walked over to Dawson St and as far as the Bleeding Horse just after six when I saw that traffic was completely backed. I just thought "f*ck this" and kept walking the route.

I passed two 16 buses and noticed that there were only two breaks in the traffic the whole way (one at the lights at the ol Screen cinema Harolds Cross and the other coming in to Rathfarnham Village).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Raheny Village is a no go zone due to station road. Edenmore is slippy but passable with care.

Raheny Village is a no go zone due to station road. Edenmore is slippy but passable with care.

yeah i heard last night it was really bad around the dart station, cars couldnt get up the hill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Newlands Cross is backed up way past the Green Isle inbound and snow is falling thick and fast here now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Any news on the Navan Road (Halfway House) to The Blanch roudabout, and the M50 from Blanch to the N32?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Anyone know what the roads are like in Skerries/ Balbriggan? Esp the Blackhills area if anyone's been up that way today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Can anyone give any idea as to what traffic is like on the N4 from Liffey Valley on towards the Spa Hotel?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Do not drive through Violet Hill/Cremore to the finglas road..the hill at the bottom is a death trap.
    Also in Drumcondra the connecting road between Wellmount Rd and Botanic Avenue has been closed by well-meaning residents,again its too steep to tackle with any degree of safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Travelled south on the M1 this evening into the city. Considerable layer of snow along all lanes. Very little traffic.

No buses to finglas south or meakstown..the 140 is terminating at Lidl.

its like 4 am on a sunday morning here in terenure, literally a ghost town. i just popped out to get smokes and went almost knee deep into the snow

its like 4 am on a sunday morning here in terenure, literally a ghost town. i just popped out to get smokes and went almost knee deep into the snow

Everybody's round in Bushy Park snowboarding down the hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Travelled with taxi out from Connolly at 6.30pm, through Amiens Street, Fairview, Clontarf etc. The roads are passable with care, but a lot of wheel spinning and sliding.

In around where I live, Bayside, Sutton Park etc, the roads are like glass, but still passable with care.

Have cleared the snow from the front of my house when I got home and spread salt down, and feels better under the feet already!!

Would strongly urge residents to do this before it turns to ice again. However it is easier to walk around on fresh snow, but stopped here about 30 minutes ago. So might be an oppurtunity for people to get out and clear, if they can, tomorrow!

Anyone driving, please take care on the roads!

• Advertisement

i saw the maxol garage in harolds cross selling bags of grit for €11.99 on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

cute_cow wrote: »
    Have cleared the snow from the front of my house when I got home and spread salt down, and feels better under the feet already!!

Would strongly urge residents to do this before it turns to ice again. However it is easier to walk around on fresh snow, but stopped here about 30 minutes ago. So might be an oppurtunity for people to get out and clear, if they can, tomorrow!

Was doing this all day outside work, gave up as it just kept getting covered in snow again, real pain.

Just a heads up, Blackhorse Bridge bring in Inchicore was quite bad at 8pm tonight.

Lads, thanks for the input.

Sorry I didn't get back to it myself.. Took me almost 3 hours from Stoneybatter to Dublin 13 via the N3/M50 from 18:30.

Keep 'em coming.

im going into town in the morning to visit my mother, if there is anyone in terenure stuck and needs shopping drop me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Diceicle wrote: »
    Can anyone give any idea as to what traffic is like on the N4 from Liffey Valley on towards the Spa Hotel?

Sorry, miles late with this one, joined the N4 at the SCR and the traffic was still at a standstill at 930 pm, so my guess is the route you asked about wasn't too good at 8pm :(
    Surprisingly it was the only place I got backed up at tonight, apart from some heavy traffic from the airport to the M50 ,I can't understand why people insist on heading for the M50 when there's 1KM of traffic ahead of them trying the same, I hope it worked out for them.
    In regards to salt,unfortunately, the south quays were the only roads I drove on tonight that had any applied. Looks like the DRA were not even bothering until the roads were completely cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I heard on the news today that what happens is everyone is leaving work early so when the gritters go out to do their thing they can't get to the roads because of the traffic already on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dublin 20 Chapelizod, roads are fine but don't try anything daft like the incredibly steep hills in Chapelizod. There is not a hope you can get up them and you will slide down with no control going down. Don't do it, there are very, very steep hills in this area.

St Laurence Rd is very tricky, you'll crawl up the hill.
    And lol if you expect to get up the steep hill in the Steeples estate. I've seen many who tried but all failed :D
    Relax folks, you can park on the main road.

Dublin 10 Sarsfield/Ballyfermot Rd is fine, footpaths are fine. Estates are tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

drove from Finglas to Swords, via Ballymun, M50 and M1 this morning between 7.15 and 8.

If the traffic volume goes up, it'll be bad, but the roads themselves are very passable, with care of course.

This afternoon I hope to leave Swords at 4.30 and travel to Coolock Village, via M1, M50 and N32 - anyone who can give info about that journey later would be appreciated.

I'll need to know if I should take the turn off the N32 and drive through Clonshaugh, the back of Northside and Oscar Traynor, or continue up the N32 to the Malahide Road and go in that way.

How is town moving lads?..

Heading in from Dublin 13 around 7'ish.

• Advertisement

Lads anyone know how the south quays are moving?.

Particularly from Amiens St to Aston Quay.

Advertisement