Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to change subjects?

• 21-12-2010 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I'm doing history and I absolutely hate it. I just can't take it all in.

So I want to change to business and I'm willing to catch up on 4 months work.
    I think I'm capable of a better grade in business than in history.

Is it too late to change in January, after my Christmas tests? 8 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

You in fifth year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Elizie

Sorry I forgot to say that, yes I am :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you done your research project? If so, you already have marks in the bank, whereas with business you'll be starting from scratch. Personally I think you'd be mad.

**edit**
    Sorry, I see you're in 5th year - plenty time then.

I haven't done it yet, I've only just decided what topic I'm doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Plenty of time, go ahead and change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

No - it'd be difficult to catch up on 4 months work obviously, but it's not impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Im in 6th year I only picked business up mid september, if you are really good at junior cert business it's simple!
    4 months work in a class room is around the equivalent of two weeks doing work by yourself at home for an hour and a half a day.
    But yes if you don't like history & want to change do it,but I wouldn't recommend it if you didn't get an A or at the very least a B that you weren't fully satisfied with!

But really it is completely possible as long as you're capable of doing something yourself & not depending on being spoon-fed answers by a teacher!

Also get a revision book, it's so much less daunting looking at a compressed little book rather than a big 400 page pointless waste of information station! Personally I found Shortcuts to Success: Business - Leaving Certificate,By Padraig Fitzpatrick.The most helpfull.

But just an answer regarding your original question,yes,it is definitely possible to swap subjects after 4 months I waited over a year & im looking for an A1.

I got a C in the junior cert, my accounts were terrible.
    I still think i could get a better grade in business than history.
    Thanks a million :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

You should know before you do that business is probably the most tedious subject on the LC curriculum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

It's definatly not too late :) But like Coeurdepirate I have to agree it is a tedious subject. Some parts I love but most are seriously boring :(.. It's probably a lot easier than other subjects though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I must say by reading the question I think it's quite obvious you've made up your mind on the topic Elizie! I'm in 5th year myself and I would recommened you go ahead and start the course after Christmas. Business is quite easy to retain but needs constant revision. So far this year we've covered
    Chapter 1: People in Business
    Chapter 2: Conflict Non-Legislative Methods
    Chapter 3: Conflice Legislative Methods**
    Chapter 4: Enterprise and Entrepreneurs
    Chapter 5: Management and Skills
    Chapter 6: Communication
    Chapter 7: Management Activities..

**= Possibly the worst chapter in ANY subject i'm doing ATM..

Business gets hard reviews, however if you work consistently and keep revising the high grades are there for the taking.. My lowest score this year in HL exam paper tests has been 94%(A1)..

In conclusion, change if you hate History as you will not learn it ever regardless if it is your mocks or LC.

Best of Luck! Ig you need any more advice PM me!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Any other subject I'd say you'd be too late but business is an easy enough subject. Use your Christmas holidays to catch up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

You're grand. I literally just changed from History to Business last week, and it worked out fine. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

I done that exact change in January of 5th year, got a B1 in Business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

There are many people who cram in the last month! I've seen it again and again, generally coming out with Bs in my class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I dunno, my friend is doing business and they've done loooads, they had 4 xmas tests this year. FOUR only for business like.:eek:

Find out how much you've missed and then think about it, really think about it, I switched from art to home ec at the start of the year, then ended up HATING home ec, so I switched back.

Absolutely love art now and work great in it, so if you really like business then yeah, go for it, you work better with things you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Yeah we had 3 tests then we were given an average from our tests. We have 7/23 chapters done so we have almost 1/3 of the course done!. Just be willing to work however and you should be ok..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Elite Baz

Seeing as you are in fifth year I would say it is possible, I do history but my friend does business and there is a lot of learning. Seems to me as if its just a lot of theory from the book and being in fifth year you have loads of time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

I do both History and Business and there is a sufficient amount of learning involved. However, History requires an interest to do well in, I couldn't imagine learning countless essays without any interest. It's a tough subject.
    Nevertheless, Business is by no means easy. There is a fair amount of learning. It is, howver, much easier to learn than history, in my opinion.
    If i were you I'd switch to business after Christmas, you'll just grow to hate History more if you keep it up. You will have to work hard until Summer to catch up in Business. Anyway, you have plenty of time. In the long run switching to business will reduce unecessary stress etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

If ever there was a subject you could switch into in January it's Business, and oddly enough it's one of the only subjects that you might actually learn something useful from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement