Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 24Mbs NGB

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

More than 850,000 telephone lines across the country will support the new NGB Ultimate product which also comes with unlimited usage allowances.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is for business only by the looks of things. I wouldn't expect any change in the residential products. It's mostly marketing BS too, which is typical of silicon republic's "articles" too. The majority of those 1million lines they plan to upgrade will never get near 24Mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jor el wrote: »
    This is for business only by the looks of things. I wouldn't expect any change in the residential products. It's mostly marketing BS too, which is typical of silicon republic's "articles" too. The majority of those 1million lines they plan to upgrade will never get near 24Mbps.

Yes indeed the article leaves an awful lot unanswered - surely Silicon Republic should be doing more than recycling PR stuff:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

they forgot the qualifying parts :p

you must live next door to the exchange. or pay to have one built beside you.:p

marketing people have a lot to answer for :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

Next gen my ass

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

nani17 wrote: »
    Next gen my ass

That might be very painful!.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

We use the BT 24mb business here in work as a backup. We get 22mb and are right beside the exchange. The 1mb upload is what really holds the product back and why they can never really seriously compete with UPC and magnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

LoGiE wrote: »
    We use the BT 24mb business here in work as a backup. We get 22mb and are right beside the exchange. The 1mb upload is what really holds the product back and why they can never really seriously compete with UPC and magnet.

On Eircom's Business Broadband site you can now get 18Mb download, 2Mb upload for 119.79 euro (99 euro + VAT) per month but very expensive pricing since residential 24Mb NGB is 47.99 per month, so you would *really* need to have a big need for that 2Mb upload.

http://business.eircom.net/broadband/moreinfo/?package=busEnhanced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Also the "average" length of line will only give 6Mbps to 9Mbps depending on crosstalk and quality on an 24Mbps connection. Maybe less than 20% would get 18Mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

LoGiE wrote: »

No. The physics of phone lines holds it back.

ONLY people very close to exchange get more than 15Mbps. They need FFTC. Then everyone would get 24Mbps. Or probably 100Mbps+ if they used VDSL+ instead of ADSL2+ in cabinet (not much price difference to buy today and same size/power).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I got one of the Eircom blurb letters today saying they will be upgrading my line to 24Mb NGB.... problem is that I've had the 24Mb package for the last 12 months (getting 17.5Mb constant...).

Apart from the "unlimited" 250Gb download cap (I don't reach the current 75Gb limit in any event), I don't really see where I am going to benefit or how it's going to change for me.
    Knowing Eircom, there has to be a catch somewhere......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I'm on the home turbo product, live about 1km from the exchange (but there might be more than 1km of wiring between my house and there) and I manage to get 15-16/Mb, but it drops at least once a day. I don't do any online gaming as such so it's only a minor inconvenience (it's usually around midnight as well). It's fairly stable at 12Mb but I'd rather the higher download speed as it's fine 99% of the time.

Previously, I was on the home professional product (7.6Mb/672Kb up) and it was rock solid (but I knew from my router stats that I was getting close to the limit of what I could receive). In the new year I'll be getting an SMS module for my house alarm, then will be ditching Eircom for UPC when the 100Mb comes out.

Advertisement