Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

figs in ireland

Options
  • 21-12-2010 4:18pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭

i've spotted that mr. middleton in dublin are selling fig trees - a variety called brown turkey, which is 'specially selected for the irish climates' and is 'fully hardy and can be grown very successfully outdoors'; does anyone know if these would be able to cope with the weather we've been having in the past month or two?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Fig trees do very well in Ireland, I've planted 'Brown Turkey' in Dublin and have also seen them thrive in Connemara.

They're very hardy deciduous trees but dormant over Winter months, so unlikely to be affected by Irish winters.

Do very well when trained 'espalier' against a warm wall, but I prefer the semi-formal 'Standard' ie rounded shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

i've spotted that mr. middleton in dublin are selling fig trees - a variety called brown turkey, which is 'specially selected for the irish climates' and is 'fully hardy and can be grown very successfully outdoors'; does anyone know if these would be able to cope with the weather we've been having in the past month or two?

I have two planted against the wall of my garage I bought in Lidl 3 years ago. I did hear that the root system can be extensive that the old Victorian Garden trick was to bury them in a Gladstone bag and just checked it appears true!!

Times 2008
    Fig: An old wives’ tale says that you should plant a fig in a Gladstone bag: as it is such a vigorous grower, you must restrict its roots in order to get it to fruit well. This seems a waste of a Gladstone bag, so confine the roots in a pit 2ft deep and 3ft wide – though if you live in a hot, dry area, don’t bother. Figs need a long warm season to ripen, so should benefit if our climate becomes more Mediterranean; grow them against a sunny wall in cooler areas. This will also restrict the root run. ‘Brown Turkey’ is the most widely grown variety.

General Info on figs.
    http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/fig.html

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I could be wrong but is it not the case with figs that the immature fruits form the previous year and can be destroyed by the weather such as we are getting at the moment, I agree that they will grow here but will only fruit when preceded by a mild winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I could be wrong but is it not the case with figs that the immature fruits form the previous year and can be destroyed by the weather such as we are getting at the moment, I agree that they will grow here but will only fruit when preceded by a mild winter.

They crop twice , your thinking of the spring crop but you get the heavier main crop later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

thanks didn't know that, ya learn something new every day:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

i have one here in kilkenny where we get minus temps every winter, have had it 15 years and it fruits every year, even this year after the bad winter had a good crop. we have it growing against a south facing wall as it likes the heat in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

My brother in law has 2 in his garden in Clondalkin, both against a south facing wall, with their roots restricted. The temperatures are low in winter but they thrive and fruit very well. Biggest problem seems to be keeping them in check - they grow like weeds - and keeping the wasps away from the fruit. He tells me that there are always dozens of little fruit left every year that don't ripen but that the embryo fruit for the following year are little buds along the branches, not these unripened fruit. His trees are about 10 years old and have never needed any attention other than the lopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

The plant itself smells so good. Has anyone tried to grow it in a pot?
    Root restriction is an important element of the management of the fig tree. This can be achieved by planting into a narrow border or in a trough, open at the bottom, made of stone or slate to restrict the extension growth of surface roots. The soil must be free draining in winter but must retain water during periods of drought in summer. It should not be overly rich, quite ordinary soil will do. The tree can be grown in a greenhouse, but it is a large tree and space is required. It can also be grown in a large pot and kept small by pruning.
    http://www.garden.ie/howtogrow.aspx?id=996

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Do you actually get figs you can eat off a tree grown in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

kylith wrote: »

yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

kylith wrote: »

You certainly do. I was walking the dog last autumn and noticed that a tree peeking over the wall of a derelict old house with builders working there was laden with figs. Went in and talked to the builders and they brought over a ladder and let me take as many as I wanted. They were delicious. The figs that is, though the builders were nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

There's one in the garden of the Royal Hospital in Kilmainham and another in the War Memorial Garden in Islandbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I have two planted against the wall of my garage I bought in Lidl 3 years ago. I did hear that the root system can be extensive that the old Victorian Garden trick was to bury them in a Gladstone bag and just checked it appears true!!

Times 2008

General Info on figs.
    http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/fig.html

Did it take long for your trees to start producing fruit after buying them? I´ve been reading a lot of different information, some places saying that it takes 4 years for a young tree to start producing.

Advertisement