Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you know that General Custer carried...

Options
  • 21-12-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

An RIC revolver (1st model) when the injuns cut him down at little big horn?
    I tells ya, us micks be getting everywhere!

it looked like this:

Weapons_LBH_3a.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

harmoniums wrote: »

it looked like this:

Weapons_LBH_3a.JPG

I was there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Didnt do ol Custer much good though in the end.
    Us Limerick lot get in everywhere as well.:D
    Garryowen:D:D.

On a bit of an aside...Read somwhere recently,that in the USA ,those who win the Congressional Medal of Honour.They are former Irish or of Irish ancestory,and in that group the highest winners of the CMH are either from, or were from Limerick city and county,or had ancestors from the city or county!!:eek::eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

harmoniums wrote: »

it looked like this:

Weapons_LBH_3a.JPG

I'll bet he was sorry he didn't have a Colt!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i believe they were presented to him by lord berkeley in 1869 , probabily a cased pair, there have been searches for the guns he had but they have never been found,

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

rowa wrote: »
    i believe they were presented to him by lord berkeley in 1869 , probabily a cased pair, there have been searches for the guns he had but they have never been found,

correct, though he gave one to Custers Brother, they were hunting guides for the lord

• Advertisement

no real advantage with the Colt,SAA, if anything, it lacking double action may have made for more inaccurate fire as opposed to the RIC in D/A

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Bet he was even more sorrier that he left his Gatling guns behind and didnt obey his orders in the 1st place!!:rolleyes::D.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

A little bit more information.

The success of the world famous Webley firearms company was in no small part due to the existence of the RIC. In 1867, Philip Webley launched a new compact revolver design, which was to achieve recognition throughout the world and remain in production for more than 60 years. Webley secured a contract to supply his weapon to the RIC in January 1868, a stroke of good fortune which ensured the financial success of the company, and established it as the foremost supplier of personal firearms to the Government and Colonial Forces for years to come.
    For more information on Webley revolvers and references,

The revolver was of the 'solid frame' variety, a sturdy and heavy piece. Most commonly found in .450 and .455 calibre, it was designated the 'Royal Irish Constabulary Pattern', and was stamped with the letters R.I.C. on the frame, along with the Webley logo and patent number.

A Webley 'New Model' First pattern RIC revolver, this example with Serial No 36129

IMG_0020.jpg

In September 1869, Lord Berkeley presented a pair of RIC Model revolvers to Brevet Major General (Volunteers) George A Custer, Lt Col 7th US Cavalry Regt. General Custer was to die at the Battle of the Little Bighorn, defeated by the combined forces of the Sioux, Arapaho and Cheyenne Nations in June 1876.
    The solid frame pattern revolver saw service in the RIC for many years, but was gradually replaced by the new and improved 'hinged frame' Webley revolver from 1890 onwards.
    The first revolvers issued was the No 1 (First Pattern), .450 calibre issued to the RIC (up to serial number 17538); thereafter the slightly improved 'New Model was issued from circa 1881.
    IMG_0024-1.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Very nice, lucky you.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement