Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD hasn't cancelled all the exams

Options
  • 21-12-2010 4:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭

It just goes to show you that they don't really care about the health and welfare of their students. Some people have to travel from far to get there and in those conditions its extreme, look at all the accidents that happen where some people died the past week from the weather conditions. Actions speak louder than words. What is wrong with that university?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

Dear student,

Due to the deterioration in weather conditions and the increased problems relating to transport, UCD has taken the decision to postpone all exams for 6pm on Tuesday 21st December and for all exam sessions on Wednesday 22nd December.

The university has rescheduled the postponed exams for 17th and 18th January in the RDS. You will be notified of the revised timetables as soon as possible via your UCD Connect email and the UCD website.

Belfield and Blackrock campuses will close at 6pm on Tuesday 21s and will remain closed on Wednesday 22nd.

Please continue to consult the UCD website http://www.ucd.ie/news/2010/11NOV10/301110-Campus-weather-update.html and your UCD Connect email for updates.

Regards,
    Jill O'Mahony
    Interim Director of Assessment
    UCD Registry

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

O hai, you again? With your 5th hand misinformation and bias? Nice to see ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

It just goes to show you that they don't really care about the health and welfare of their students. Some people have to travel from far to get there and in those conditions its extreme, look at all the accidents that happen where some people died the past week from the weather conditions. Actions speak louder than words. What is wrong with that university?

Here she goes again, YAWN!
    We get the message - your perception of UCD is one of a horrendous nature.. Thats fine, but why keep coming back and posting pointless threads about issues you so obviously know very little about!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

O hai, you again? With your 5th hand misinformation and bias? Nice to see ya.

Well there no point in being hateful and sarcastic by saying 'you again' and 'saying 'nice to see ya'. Being sarcastic doesn't help with anything. I just couldn't get over the fact that some of my friends had to go to UCD exam's today in these terrible conditions. How am i misinformed its a fact! Its basic that its dangerous trying to travel in weather conditions like this.

Well there no point in being hateful and sarcastic by saying 'you again' and 'saying 'nice to see ya'. Being sarcastic doesn't help with anything. I just couldn't get over the fact that some of my friends had to go to UCD exam's today in these terrible conditions. How am i misinformed its a fact! Its basic that its dangerous trying to travel in weather conditions like this.

*sigh* I'm not hateful, I just find your threads extremely prejudiced and tiresome. Your last one consisted entirely of you spouting random pieces of bias you picked up from your pals and bf in the university, and this one is you saying, "omg another reason why UCD must be terrible - it didn't cancel all of it's exams! They clearly hate their students!"

As another poster showed you, they did cancel the evening exams today, and all exams scheduled for tomorrow. There are other threads already discussing this. There was no need for you to start this thread that also has no objective other than to bash UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

ah sure, isnt your head wrecking decision made then?!? you were looking for advice about UCD the other day, I am sure your decision is made now, between having to pay for printing, and the heartless folk of UCD not cancelling exams - sure why would you want to go to a college like that. Tutt!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I don't think I will be applying to UCD

That is fair enough, then don't come on here and start pissing us off about what UCD have and haven't done. We don't care. If you look at this thread; you will see why they didn't cancel the exams until today.

Cancellation or Continuation Thread

*sigh* I'm not hateful, I just find your threads extremely prejudiced and tiresome. Your last one consisted entirely of you spouting random pieces of bias you picked up from your pals and bf in the university, and this one is you saying, "omg another reason why UCD must be terrible - it didn't cancel all of it's exams! They clearly hate their students!"

As another poster showed you, they did cancel the evening exams today, and all exams scheduled for tomorrow. There are other threads already discussing this. There was no need for you to start this thread that also has no objective other than to bash UCD.

Well UCD isn't a world class university. I didn't say i hate it but it's standards could be a lot bettter to meet the need's of their students. This is the ranking in the official top 200 universities in the world, it didn't make this list. http://www.4icu.org/top200/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If it's not "world class" and you "wont be applying" then why are you posting on the UCD forum?

I'm sure the Trinity forum would love to have you and they are "world class" supposedly:)

Well UCD isn't a world class university. I didn't say i hate it but it's standards could be a lot bettter to meet the need's of their students. This is the ranking in the official top 200 universities in the world, it didn't make this list. http://www.4icu.org/top200/

Do you even realise how difficult it is to make that list? :rolleyes: And you may not have said you hated it (how could you, you don't even know what the place is like), but you came onto this forum and said, "Oh why is your university so terrible and all the lecturers shít and you've to pay 5c to print stuff and why isn't it much better?" and you expected to be treated seriously. Pffffffffft. Learn to phrase your queries nicely and you might get nice replies in return. Now wouldn't that be lovely?

Can someone lock this thread or move it into one of the threads already discussing the exam cancellations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

There are no Irish Universities on that list you provided.
    Those lists use varying criteria and are a bad way of judging a University. The supposedly brilliant Harvard is only number 41 on that list.

There are no Irish Universities on that list you provided.
    Those lists use varying criteria and are a bad way of judging a University. The supposedly brilliant Harvard is only number 41 on that list.

Well i know there was no Irish universities on that list, its sad that none of the university here didn't make it in to the worldwide ranking. These lists are compiled every year and it varies every year in ranking. They go by surveys which students take to see what is the student satisfaction. You cannot argue with facts and figures. Its objective and the numbers speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

With all due respect, why are you bring the 'top 200' universities into a debate about snow and exams.

The conditions up and until today were all 'ok', in as far as the DARTS and Buses were running. Yes, there were delays, ( i know, i was stuck in traffic for 2 hours yesterday) But a delay is hardly the universities fault, and the facilities were open at both UCD, and the RDS.

I'm glad the rest are postponed, because now i can relax and not have to worry about hours of travel, but equally, i would have liked to get them over and done with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Well i know there was no Irish universities on that list, its sad that none of the university here didn't make it in to the worldwide ranking. These lists are compiled every year and it varies every year in ranking. They go by surveys which students take to see what is the student satisfaction. You cannot argue with facts and figures. Its objective and the numbers speak for themselves.

You haven't a clue what you are talking about. The Times and QS rankings are the benchmark. Both rank UCD in the top 200. The QS list has UCD at 114 and the Times list has UCD at 94th.

Do you realise how difficult it is to make such lists? Or the sheer amount of Universities that are trying to make the lists. Or what criteria that the deciding bodies use to make the list. The rankings list you mention is not treated as particularly relevant.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010/results/101-200

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0916/1224278992538.html
    The Irish Times - Thursday, September 16, 2010
    Trinity, UCD among top 100 universities

TRINITY AND UCD have secured places inside the top 100 in the latest world ranking survey published today.

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings rank TCD at 76 and UCD at 94.

Ireland was ranked at 17 in the world for the overall quality of its higher education system. The US topped this ranking.

The latest rankings come a week after the QS university rankings placed TCD at 52 and UCD at 114.

No other Irish university features in the rankings of the top 200 colleges. The QS rankings listed the top 500 universities.

Trinity College’s performance places it as the seventh best university in the UK and Ireland.

Many UK institutions may be disappointed with their position, as there are only five British universities in the top 50, and just 14 in the top 100 which is dominated by US colleges.

The Times Higher ranks Harvard as the world’s leading university. Last week, QS gave this accolade to Cambridge, the first non-US university to hold the top ranking.

The Times Higher r ankings do not take full account of the 6 per cent staff cut across higher education in Ireland.

QS and Times Higher published joint rankings in 2009 but this year they parted company. Both claim their rankings are the most comprehensive .

Yesterday QS released further details of their rankings. The following are their rankings in different disciplines.

Arts and humanities: TCD 52, UCD 89, NUI Maynooth 247, NUI Galway 274.
    Engineering and technology: TCD 99, UCD 1 44, UCC 218.
    Life sciences and medicine: TCD 81, UCC 115, UCD 134.
    Natural sciences: TCD 81, UCC 244, UCD 261.
    Social sciences and management: TCD 72, UCD 116, UCC 272.
    Last night, UCD president Dr Hugh Brady said the university’s ranking inside the top 100 in the new Times Higher table was a “considerable achievement given the well-documented strains on the higher education system”.

“This year’s result is particularly gratifying given the broad set of parameters that were assessed in teaching, research and innovation.

“The reality is that rankings are noted at home and abroad by prospective students, internationally mobile staff and multinational companies.

“Today’s result will play a small but important part in the rebuilding of Ireland’s international reputation.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

:rolleyes:

Before using words like objective and subjective, it would be helpful to know what they mean. Surveys based on student satisfaction are subjective.

You haven't a clue what you are talking about. The Times and QS rankings are the benchmark. Both rank UCD in the top 200. The QS list has UCD at 114 and the Times list has UCD at 94th.

Do you realise how difficult it is to make such lists? Or the sheer amount of Universities that are trying to make the lists. Or what criteria that the deciding bodies use to make the list. The rankings list you mention is not treated as particularly relevant.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010/results/101-200

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0916/1224278992538.html

Well a lot of people don't read the Irish times. How is that relevant? How did they get those figures. Well you can see the top 200 university ranking list in more detail http://www.topuniversities.com/sites/default/files/QS_World_University_Rankings_top500.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭alois

troll troll troll troll troll

Here is a really important and recognized list of top universities that shows UCD is actually good.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y336/the_voodoo/IMG_1684.jpg?t=1292958346

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Rothmans wrote: »

Before using words like objective and subjective, it would be helpful to know what they mean. Surveys based on student satisfaction are subjective.

The Internet Spelling and Grammar Police just called in the SAS!

Obviously with the getting in part i'm clearly referring to the points system snow, and the poor decisions of the university not to cancel the exams, when some people clearly could not get into the university.

Yup. ;)

• Advertisement

Rothmans wrote: »

Well it depends on the type of survey and what type and nature the of questions are asked that you can get a objective answer. It would be measured by means by of data and statistics to get an overall picture. This is the method of surveying large amount of people, because its the method used to get a clearer objective picture.

Well a lot of people don't read the Irish times. How is that relevant? How did they get those figures. Well you can see the top 200 university ranking list in more detail http://www.topuniversities.com/sites/default/files/QS_World_University_Rankings_top500.pdf

A) Would you rather read The Sun?

B) The rankings list has nothing to do with The Irish Times. I picked an article from the Irish Times that mentioned both of the world renowned lists. You are really showing how clueless you are about this topic.
    The Times Higher Education World University Rankings is an international ranking of the world's top universities published by Times Higher Education (THE). A publisher of international education rankings since 2004, THE split from its original partner Quacquarelli Symonds in 2010, creating a new ranking methodology whose citation database information is compiled in partnership with Thomson Reuters.

C) How is that relevant? How exactly do you figure that your extremely discredited list is relevant yet the two lists that every major University and publication worldwide consider as being the indicator of University rankings are somehow irrelevant.

D) How do they get their figures? Read the methodology here: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=411907&c=1 It is too long to copy into this post, but there is plenty of information there. This method was chosen by an expert advisory group of more than 50 international higher education leaders. 13 indicators are used, instead of yours which basically uses extremely biased methods.
    While the old THE-QS methodology used six indicators - with a 40 per cent weighting for the subjective results of a reputation survey and a 20 per cent weighting for a staff-student ratio measure - the new methodology will employ up to 13 indicators, which may later rise to 16.

E) Just admit that you do not know what you are talking about.

F) The ranking of UCD has nothing at all to do with the snow and exams being cancelled.

Well it depends on the type of survey and what type and nature the of questions are asked that you can get a objective answer. It would be measured by means by of data and statistics to get an overall picture. This is the method of surveying large amount of people, because its the method used to get a clearer objective picture.

Nope. No method that relies on collecting people's opinions or personal experiences can ever be objective. Sorry to burst your bubble there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

This has been a very funny fortnight in the life of the UCD forum. The amount of moaning, sensationalism, whinging and badmouthing of UCD has reached unparalleled levels.

This has been a very funny fortnight in the life of the UCD forum. The amount of moaning, sensationalism, whinging and badmouthing of UCD has reached unparalleled levels.

UCD just ate my hamster.

Here is a list of forums that are better for complaining.

#1 After hours.
    #2 After hours.

As you can see, the ranking are pretty conclusive.

But thats just my subjective opinion

;)

Ha, you are right though.. although there has too also been an increase of people ACTUALLY looking for help/advice and the like.

Also in case you don't feel like clicking a link, here is the criteria for the methodology in a simple to understand chart!

Rankingschart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

8f86bad25bbf45d8a0b8f876a513d62d.0.jpg

A) Would you rather read The Sun?

B) The rankings list has nothing to do with The Irish Times. I picked an article from the Irish Times that mentioned both of the world renowned lists. You are really showing how clueless you are about this topic.

C) How is that relevant? How exactly do you figure that your extremely discredited list is relevant yet the two lists that every major University and publication worldwide consider as being the indicator of University rankings are somehow irrelevant.

D) How do they get their figures? Read the methodology here: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=411907&c=1 It is too long to copy into this post, but there is plenty of information there. This method was chosen by an expert advisory group of more than 50 international higher education leaders. 13 indicators are used, instead of yours which basically uses extremely biased methods.

E) Just admit that you do not know what you are talking about.

F) The ranking of UCD has nothing at all to do with the snow and exams being cancelled.

Well i don't read any newspapers, I think with my own mind i prefer alternative news because its accurate, truthful and honest. There is no lies and cover ups. Why do you have to get so personal about UCD your defending it like its your mother or your own family? Chill out its only a university. The Times is a newspaper it's function is to publish articles they think interests most people for the purpose of it being sold. Newspapers are not about research they are about making a profit. The research and many of the stories that are published are not entirely truthful and accurate. Have you heard of wikiLeaks, see the truth always comes out in the end!

• Advertisement

Have you heard of wikiLeaks, see the truth always comes out in the end!

I think Julian Assange looks like Neil Patrick Harris.

Anyone else agree?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0rXx0LSu_47atee6N2m_h1Cyyr7AQrzjp3gSukChaRJr3SbezqA

alg_julian_assange.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement