Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House trained cat weeing on bean bag

• 21-12-2010 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

We have a 3 year old female cat, fully house trained, or so I thought. For some reason 2 weeks ago (during cold weather) she wee'd on our huge bean bag. Just returned it clean and dry to the sitting room yesterday and she wee'd on it again. It has always been her favourite place to sleep so I don't know why she is suddenly weeing on it. I'm washing it again but if I return it to the sitting room will it happen again or what can I do to prevent it? I don't have a litter tray for her. She was trained when I got her so she has never used one. If I got one would she know to use it? Thanks is advance for any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm not sure what you mean by "she was trained when you got her so you never had a litter tray for her"?

Where does she normally go? Outside? If she does, I think you've got your answer right there : It's cold outside. Really cold.
    Mine usually prefer to going outside to going in their litter trays, but in this weather they use the trays far more often, and hardly go outside at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Thanks. She does go outside when she needs to. Will get a litter tray for her - probably be Spring by the time the thaw sets in and they come to get us here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

Make sure you get her a big litter tray. They like plenty of room as they need to move around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Mine have done the same in the past. I think a beanbag can remind them of a litter sometimes - they can dig at it. Last time it happened I took it away and replaced it with something machine washable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

I second that! When we have cat-sat for family our bean bag got it and not just with wee!!! Its the moveable grainy surface. And with the poo the cat covered it with some more of the bean bag...yech!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

The thing with cats is this: once they have 'gone' somewhere for whatever reason, they will return to that spot repeatedly.
    For example: my cat got shut in our bedroom by accident and couldnt get out to use the litter tray or ask at the front door to get out.
    So, he did what he had to do on the curtains..
    Even though i took them down and washed them, the odour was obviously still there, and he went back to that spot due to the scent and assumed that if a pee smell was there, well, that meant thats where he should pee - and repeated the process.
    I ditched the curtains, maybe the beanbag should go too..:o
    It did work..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

BengaLover wrote: »
    The thing with cats is this: once they have 'gone' somewhere for whatever reason, they will return to that spot repeatedly.
    For example: my cat got shut in our bedroom by accident and couldnt get out to use the litter tray or ask at the front door to get out.
    So, he did what he had to do on the curtains..
    Even though i took them down and washed them, the odour was obviously still there, and he went back to that spot due to the scent and assumed that if a pee smell was there, well, that meant thats where he should pee - and repeated the process.
    I ditched the curtains, maybe the beanbag should go too..:o
    It did work..

I agree, ditch the beanbag or move it somewhere the cat doesn't have access to. Most likely the cat is finding it too cold to go outside!

Get a litter tray and put it in a quiet spot in the house. Cat's have a desire to be clean and cover their waste so they usually learn very quickly to use a litter tray. You could confine him to the room his litter tray is in until you are sure he is using it before letting him have full run of the house again.
    You'l probably not need to but with kittens you can teach them to use the litter tray by putting them into it and moving their paws so they make a scratching motion, try this with an adult cat however and they will probably just look at you with utter disgust and confusion! :D

Advertisement