Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you prefer to learn through video/computer or by live lecture from a lecturer?

• 21-12-2010 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I would like to get some feedback on what anyone (adult or student) thinks about about the current format of education in comparison to a video / technology based approach. I posted a thread like this on the college forum (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056100185) and although some people voted in the poll I was hoping for more response (as of the current date and time) for this reason I am posting here.

To have a more complete understanding of the poll's subject area then read this whole post. If you want the short version of what this poll is about then it boils down to: do you prefer to learn by video tutorial and computer technology at your own pace or in the traditional way with a live lecture given by a lecturer. You can skip the rest of the text on this post now and vote in the poll above if you haven't already done so or as recommended continue to read.

In this poll you are asked to consider two points of views on education. One is the traditional education system where one lecturer / teacher teaches a subject to a class of anywhere between 5 to 200 students in a classroom or lecture hall for about an hour. This is familar to most people as it is by far the most used government-run type of education system in the world today. Its unique aspect is that students witness in real-time and in-person the lecturer speaking, demonstrating and engaging with the subject.

The second view is an emerging alternative approach to education involving the use of video and computer software to allow students to learn at their own pace. The main points about this system are as follows: After the creation and preparation of enough educational video content, students could sit at computers with headphones watching educational videos, using computer software and internet to learn a set out curriculum. This approach claims that for every aspect except the unique aspect as mentioned above that the traditional system has; it can match it. Further it claims that it offers better control and learning capability in the hands of students. Mainly because students can pause, fast forward and rewind video to learn only the information essential to them. The system can still have classrooms of students where teachers can be on hand to answer questions and ensure class discipline if needed. The same social gathering and opportunities of interaction can still be retained when the student attends a class of computers with others and largely works independently.

Students can still perform supervised exams after learning a certain amount and be graded on them to ensure standards are met. Additional benefits include improved visual presentations through video and computer; more free time made available to teachers to advance education and research. There are many examples on the internet which demonstrate the effectiveness of education through video e.g. on websites such as Youtube there is the Khan Academy http://www.youtube.com/user/khanacademy, MIT OpenCourseWare http://www.youtube.com/user/mit?blend=1&ob=4.

If everyone understood everything they saw and heard in a live lecture
    the first time, then the world would be full of geniuses. In reality things need to be worked through carefully, digested, thought about and reflected on at the learner's pace. This can be done with the aid of video. Do once off live lecture's provide this opportunity?
    I really think people should give this topic attention and think through how the technology alternative can work. We live in an age with many news, information and entertainment sources delivered through technology and other traditional sources which people have a choice about. Yet if you want an accredited certificate of education / training there is largely only one learning format to use that is through live lecture ( I acknowledge some alternative online sources, e.g. open university - however their range of courses and qualification levels are only a fraction of those available from traditional third level universities). Our knowledge, training and skill level in our fields will have a direct impact on our careers and the quality of all our lives. So is a live lecture the way you want to learn about something?

Lastly I would just say suppose a number of students prefer to learn at their own pace by video with a computer and another number of students preferred to learn in the traditional format with a lecture given by a lecturer. What would be the best thing to do? Why not let those who prefer to learn by video learn the same curriculum by video alongside those who prefer a teacher to teach them in the same class as long as both stay concentrated on their own work. Providing such a choice gives the greatest amount of satisfaction for the greatest number of people.

What do you think?

Would you prefer to learn by video and computer or by live lecture? 8 votes

Learn by myself using video, computer software and internet
    0% 0 votes
    Current system with live lecture format
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I learn from Yoda, and Yoda alone.

"Crap it is Video learning".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Too long, could read it but lazy and given the topic..
    Is there a live video I can watch somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

tldr but i recomend a forum other than after hours

also try and listen to the freakonomics podcast they have a great show about a pilot programme the new york school system is doing at the moment which is basically tailoring peoples education to their needs like you said in your title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

learn what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 finbak

Too long, could read it but lazy and given the topic..
    Is there a live video I can watch somewhere?

Yes I admit it is a long post. Which is why I made a video here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhXGnvdJQnk
    If you are interested.

I think this forum is suitable; I just want people to think about it and realise the state of education most accept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

finbak wrote: »

I think this forum is suitable;

You're very, very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I think the benefits of having recorded classes available to a student throughout a term / year are immense. I took some classes at Independent Colleges where the lectures were recorded and could be watched back, and I could really see the use in it.

The cons are that, without having an actual class to attend, students will neglect to watch the videos. (I know for a fact that I would find myself up the night before an exams trying to cram in a month's worth of lectures). I wonder would it be worth implementing some sort of method by which you a college could tell when the lectures were being played. They'd probably be doing that anyway to ensure there isn't a pattern that suggests the lectures are being shared around. If there was the equivalent of a pass attendance rate whereby students would have to play at least 70% of the lectures to pass, that could be a motivating factor to watch them. (I know they could just put the lecture on in the background and ignore it, but at least if it's on there's a half hope they're watching!).

What level would this be proposed to be implemented at. I'm assuming graduate and upwards. I'd say if it was combined with some sort of continuous assessment programme it could really take off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

We had a lecturer in college who recorded himself giving lectures & uploaded them to the interweb, and we'd go to the computer lab and watch them and he'd be there to answer any questions. Bit of a weird set-up, but it worked!

Bucklesman wrote: »
    You're very, very wrong.

If you want to be brief then just select an option in the poll. I would have put it in the Politics forum but you can't put polls there, and this forum gets much more responses per thread than any other forum. I have faith that we can still have an intelligent discussion in After Hours on this serious topic. After Hours threads and posts in the past have shown it can discuss serious topics and show intelligence.

xoxyx wrote: »
    What level would this be proposed to be implemented at. I'm assuming graduate and upwards. I'd say if it was combined with some sort of continuous assessment programme it could really take off.

In the beginning it may be easier to implement this for older age groups first .e.g. 20 + to 16 years olds then if successful and improved it can be extended to younger age groups e.g. 12- 16 years old and even younger 6 - 12 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Video Learning is the same as self-service checkouts in supermarkets.

Job cuts and quality erosion masquerading as convenience.

Video Learning is the same as self-service checkouts in supermarkets.

Job cuts and quality erosion masquerading as convenience.

Well if you think about it, the population will be more skilled through a better education service, so they will be more qualified and more innovative to do higher skilled jobs and create more jobs through entrepreneurship.

This is an old argument and could be said about the use of tractors to plough a field (technology) or doing it by hand, which would you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Nothing about video learning indicates that it provides 'better' education. In fact, the implications (lack of realtime interaction with educators) implies worse learning.
    When I see Eton, Harvard or Cambridge introducing it, I may be persuaded otherwise. But for now, the level of excellence seems to require low student-teacher ratio realtime interaction models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

In the beginning it may be easier to implement this for older age groups first .e.g. 20 + to 16 years olds then if successful and improved it can be extended to younger age groups e.g. 12- 16 years old and even younger 6 - 12 years old.

I do think it is beneficial for older groups. On the flip side, even with the older groups you are losing out on the normal classroom experience, interacting with other students, listening to their questions and viewpoints, etc. I do find one of the most useful things in the course I'm doing at present is when we split up into groups and discuss what we've covered in the lecture.

I'd certainly not think it is a good idea for younger children. In primary school, the interaction with your peers is of huge importance to a child's growth. Secondary level is half about the social element! We're going to end up with a bigger generation of weirdos than even 4Chan can currently account for if we plonk kids in front of the computer for hours a day from such a young age.

Nothing about video learning indicates that it provides 'better' education. In fact, the implications (lack of realtime interaction with educators) implies worse learning.

This is arguable. A system I suggest would still allow a supervising teacher to be accessible when necessary for any questions that may arise. "Realtime" interactions usually occur when the presentation of information could have been made more clear in the place by a better lecture.

Additionally suppose it provides a standard that is equal in quality to live lecture. Then you get the quality, but now you can save the money that is being spent on teachers to teach the same material year in year out, and have them contribute to other productive things. Thus getting a better output from the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

If you want to be brief then just select an option in the poll. I would have put it in the Politics forum but you can't put polls there, and this forum gets much more responses per thread than any other forum. I have faith that we can still have an intelligent discussion in After Hours on this serious topic. After Hours threads and posts in the past have shown it can discuss serious topics and show intelligence.

Your thread in Politics was closed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Well if you think about it, the population will be more skilled through a better education service, so they will be more qualified and more innovative to do higher skilled jobs and create more jobs through entrepreneurship.

This is an old argument and could be said about the use of tractors to plough a field (technology) or doing it by hand, which would you do?

Who says this is better?

Personally, I couldn't imagine studying philosophy under this system because it is by debating and arguing through the merits of ideas that people actually become philosophically perceptive. In respect to my other subject computer science, I think I could learn much more online but I think at the same time that the expertise of the lecturers is welcome and I would nonetheless attend lectures.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Please don't spam boards by posting the same thread in multiple different forums.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement