Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claddagh rings

Options
  • 21-12-2010 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Hiya guys just wondering can these rings be bought in most jewellers in the city or only from The Thomas Dillion shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

You can get them in most jewellers' but Thomas Dillon's is the original maker of the Claddagh ring and they are the only ones who can legally put the authentic stamp on it. They're not too expensive there anyway, €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

They can be bought in a lot of the jewellery/touristy shops in the city. Take a walk and down Shop St and you should find one almost immediately. I actually work for one but am not sure if it's against charter rules to mention names.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They're sold in all jewellers, check a few as they have various patterns and prices. You can get simple ones for 15 up to hundreds with stones and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

thanks for the info guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Dillons are very good. In some cases they may look to be a little bit more expensive than other shops, but when you compare the weight and finish of the rings they usually work out cheaper.

If you do go in to Dillons (Claddagh Gold on Quay Street), take a look in the back; they have a little museum with a lot of old Claddagh rings and a lot of the tools used to make them, as well as a brief history of the ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

The Cool wrote: »
    You can get them in most jewellers' but Thomas Dillon's is the original maker of the Claddagh ring and they are the only ones who can legally put the authentic stamp on it.

I don't know about any made up "authentic" stamp but any claim that "Dillons" made the original Claddagh ring is daft. Even their own museum which Fey mentions shows early Claddagh rings but I can't recall if they have any of the original late 17th or early 18th century ones.

Dillons is only around since the early 1900s and they're in their current location for only a few years.

You can get a perfectly good Claddagh ring in many places. To compare value simply find what carat gold is in it and what's its weight

Also, it's supposedly bad luck to buy your own Claddagh ring so get someone else to buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, IIRC it's supposed to be a gift from someone who loves you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Churchview; Wasn't the original Dillons started in the 1700's?

As for the museum not having a ring from the 1700's, it's an incredible longshot that they'd be able to find one. The oldest I've seen was from the late 1800's, and that wasn't exactly in pristine condition!!

Dillons used to be on Williamsgate Street, where the Galway Camera Shop is now. They opened on Quay Street as Claddagh Gold almost 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

churchview wrote: »
    I don't know about any made up "authentic" stamp but any claim that "Dillons" made the original Claddagh ring is daft. Even their own museum which Fey mentions shows early Claddagh rings but I can't recall if they have any of the original late 17th or early 18th century ones.
    Dillons is only around since the early 1900s and they're in their current location for only a few years.
    There was an article a few weeks ago in the galway independent that outlines Dillons' history
    They were the first to mass produce staring in mid 1700's
    Here

Advertisement