Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

500mm fixed lens

• 21-12-2010 6:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of chucking €100-150 away on a 500mm lens for my 450D, some names of never heard of, samyang, falcon, etc.
    Has anybody any experience of these brands?
    Obviously I'd love a 35-500mm (ish) "L" series (when I win the lotto!) but I just want to fool around with a long lens for a while before investing heavily in a more upmarket brand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Chucking away your money sounds about right.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You might be better off getting a half decent telescope and mounting your camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

i assume you are talking about a mirror lens - which is normally around f8 as a max aperture.

not very good when you have low light - only suitable for bright days...also I believe they also give a halo type effect in the bokeh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Andrew42

That bad huh?

PCPhoto wrote: »
    i assume you are talking about a mirror lens - which is normally around f8 as a max aperture.

not very good when you have low light - only suitable for bright days...also I believe they also give a halo type effect in the bokeh.

The samyang(?) is a mirror type but the falcon is a big long fixed jobbie. I figured they'd be pretty rubbish based on the "You get what you pay for" principle.
    What's BOKEH???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

If I were you, I'd go for a sigma 400 f/5.6 or something. I was shooting today with my 100-300 f/4 and a 1.4 TC (making it 420mm f/5.6) and it performed well in the lighting. Although the 100-300 is meant to be a pretty good lens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I think theres something wrong with "35-500mm L lens" idea.... :pac:

Andrew42 wrote: »
    What's BOKEH???

I think you need to figure this out before you go spending any more money on lenses.

5uspect wrote: »
    I think you need to figure this out before you go spending any more money on lenses.

<snip>

I think theres something wrong with "35-500mm L lens" idea.... :pac:

Didn't mean those exact lengths which is why I put "ish" in brackets after it?

Yiz are all soooo wonderfully helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

sigma do a 170-500mm which might be worth considering.

Bokeh is the blur in the background of your pic....lenses like a 500mm f8 tend to give a halo or ring type design in the background of the images....some people like it - some dont.

I've heard the Canon 35-350 is not meant to be the sharpest (I cant say anything about the sigma 170-500mm ... prob not pin sharp either)

Stick your superior attitude up your hole pal. Muppet.

WTF? You come here looking for advise, which I provided, and it turns out you don't know the first thing about optics and you jump down the throat when it is suggested you learn a little more before wasting your money.

Nice guy ain't ya?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

A short holiday has been won by Andrew42.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What's BOKEH???
    the shot below was shot with a mirror lens - what PCPhoto is referring to is the out of focus doughnut shaped highlights caused by the optics.

alsaa05.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikekingphoto/3807893270/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikekingphoto/4080938587/

Two interesting flickr shot from the one and only British Sports Photog - Mike King

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I've heard the Canon 35-350 is not meant to be the sharpest

I picked up a 35-350 L and it's not bad. Haven't really had a chance to use it much yet but the few shots I've taken are ok. Will give it a rattle over the holidays and get some shots posted.

Advertisement