Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ham Falling Apart

Options
  • 21-12-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm in the middle of boiling a ham, and just like the last (and only other) one I've done, it's unfurled in the pot. It still tastes nice, but it means its difficult to glaze it. Apart from that it's just annoying me! What am I doing wrong? I notice there's some form of protective cover when I take the plastic off (bought it in SuperValu, it's bordbia quality scheme etc). The cover looks permeable, and I thought it was just for freshness so I took it off. Should I leave it on? Is that the secret to non-mutating ham? Sorry if this seems a bit obvious, but I'm a culinary neophyte!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

You can cook it in the bag but then the salt wont get cooked out. I think the fact youre boiling teh ham might be the reason why its "mutating". What i suggest is that you dont boil the ham for a long period of time. bring it upto the boil then pop teh lid on, reduce the heat and leave it simmer. simmering time would depend on how big the ham is. Theres lots of recipies out there with good cooking guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Yup leave that layer of rind/skin on.

Remove it before baking though.

Generally i bring to the boil, remove and replace water, add bay leafs or 2, peppercorns, juice/cider, whatever you want really, bring back to the boil, then simmer for an hour (obviously time depends on size). Then remove, pat dry and place in a roasting tin and do whatever glaze takes your fancy, generally using some of honey, sugar, mustard, cloves, throw cider in the roasting tin perhaps, whatever you like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

When the bone is removed from ham it changes the shape as the butcher ends up with a flattish piece of meat, to encourage it back into the traditional round shape of a ham it is held together with that protective sleeve you mentioned. This is inside the plastic packaging, the outer plastic should be removed and the inner 'sleeve' left on the ham while cooking. Some come with a kind of elastic net over them, same reason. To keep the shape even better it should be left on until the ham has cooled and firms up in the correct shape. Most of these ham pieces already have the rind removed, there will be a layer of fat which you could then trim a bit and glaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Much appreciated all! No more mutant ham for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

The butcher will usually bind the ham with twine and you boil it with it on. When cooked you take it off before baking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement