Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone else's sky out of order?

• 21-12-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭

I'm guessing its the weather!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Mines ok, same old crap on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

if ya can reach your dish with a brush clear the accumulated snow out of it, might help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

EI111 wrote: »
    if ya can reach your dish with a brush clear the accumulated snow out of it, might help

yeah, got it back, fecked a football at it and hit it first time (don't try this at home kids!)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Ben1010

Mine fecked!! Snow covered every bit of the dish.

Can only watch rte 1/2 and tv3 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

hit the dish, dislodged some snow and hey presto it was back. Missed 30 mins of the football last night though over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Hit the dish too hard and you'll knock it out of alignment and miss all TV until after Christmas :pac: :pac:

tried to check the signal setting and now i got no channels...and no list of tv guide...it still searching...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

sweetie wrote: »
    I'm guessing its the weather!

Yeah, hate it when the weather messes up the sky. :p

Now just checked the signal strength...nothing...the bar is empty..just fanastic!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Had this problem to just few mins ago got out me brothers window and moved snow off infront the lnb all better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 jfc153

just cleaned snow from dish and lnb,now all channels are back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

There doesn't seem to be any snow on my dish, but still no signal. Is it possible the level of snow in the atmosphere is doing it?

Missing Top Gear!

A

OK, sorted. Managed to make a long pointy stick with a towel on the end and brush the snow off the LNB. Phew, snowed in without television could have got ugly!

A

No hope in hell in reaching the dish up on the roof..damn u snow!!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I cleared the LNB & Dish of snow but still no signal.

I'm getting the "unplug at the mains & wait 5 mins" error message.

God damn it!
    Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Our Sky is out of order aswell. Error 25 "too much snow on the dish to have an enjoyable Christmas" message.:(

There is about 10-12 inches on the roof aswell so I am worried about climbing up there. The dish is mounted to the chimney.

Anyone any tips for getting the snow off without killing yourself??

Thats the thing, my Dish & LNB are clear as they are in a sheltered spot.

I rang sky and they said that the signal cannot penetrate the snow cloud cover.
    When the could breaks signal should be restored.

:confused:

Mine is actually back about 20 minutes. And now its started to snow again !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Another reason why dishes shouldnt be mounted on chimneys if not really needed to.

1) you cant get to it to clear snow of it

2) Doubt you'll get even an installer to come out and clear it as far too dangerous to get up on the roof

Weve called off all jobs now till well after Christmas (Unless they are indoor jobs)

• Advertisement

Mine was under the eaves, but on a two story house. Managed to lean out an upstairs window with said poking stick fashioned from duct tape, a tea towel and several dowel rods!

The alternative would be a small ball and a good aim!

LD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thats pure BS whomever at sky told you that. Snow attenuates or lowers the incoming signal strength (rain does the same) but a proerly installed dish has enough margin to cope with this.

I rang sky and they said that the signal cannot penetrate the snow cloud cover.
    When the could breaks signal should be restored.

:confused:

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

My signal is usually excellent ,input 1 and 2 are usually 90+% ,last night there was 3 inches of snow covering the LNB and I lost the signal ,I got the ladder out , a hand brush removed the snow and the signal returned.

Tony wrote: »
    Thats pure BS whomever at sky told you that. Snow attenuates or lowers the incoming signal strength (rain does the same) but a proerly installed dish has enough margin to cope with this.

Well.... where our house is positioned the signal strength is very poor because of other properties.

As it turned out, when the cloud broke this morning service was restored ! :)

I agree though, with adequate signal the cloud cover shouldnt be an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

The pitch is probably off (up/down) on the dish.This happened to me last year and I moved it 1 tenth of an inch (approx) with one of those sat finders and got input 1 & 2 up to 90% before I moved it some channels were rubbish and others perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Mine is gone since last night, yet my neighbours sky box is working, i haven't checked my dish as its in an awkward place where I wouldn't see anything wrong in the dark. Its not even locked on the signal test..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭ranger4

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Hit the dish too hard and you'll knock it out of alignment and miss all TV until after Christmas :pac: :pac:

and if you dent dish you also will loose some or all channels.

At fooking last....all satelitte channels restored!! kids delighted

I wait till there some life in imput and quality bar before i turn off all for 3mins...and then reset all...hey presto...there life in imput 1 and 2.

• Advertisement

I cleared the LNB & Dish of snow but still no signal.

I'm getting the "unplug at the mains & wait 5 mins" error message.

God damn it!
    Anyone any ideas?

Unplug sky reciever from mains for 1 min, Hold down backup button, keeping backup button pressed firmly down swith on mains, keep backup button pressed untill all four lights are lit on front pannel then depress backup button, in 15 mins or so the red standbye light will be lit then turn on sky box and after box has loaded you should recieve channels unless there is fault with either reciever or dish.

Could be that your dish is partially in the shadow of the other properties so effectively you have no margin unfotunately. Glad to hear you have your signal back.

Well.... where our house is positioned the signal strength is very poor because of other properties.

As it turned out, when the cloud broke this morning service was restored ! :)

I agree though, with adequate signal the cloud cover shouldnt be an issue

Must disagree, doing a forced download if there is some doubt about the dish/lnb is a bad idea.

ranger4 wrote: »
    Unplug sky reciever from mains for 1 min, Hold down backup button, keeping backup button pressed firmly down swith on mains, keep backup button pressed untill all four lights are lit on front pannel then depress backup button, in 15 mins or so the red standbye light will be lit then turn on sky box and after box has loaded you should recieve channels unless there is fault with either reciever or dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

This is not a great idea for someone with dodgy reception - forcing a software download could result in corrupted data being received. The checksum verifications should reduce the risk, but still - not the best advice to be giving in the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

fat-tony wrote: »
    This is not a great idea for someone with dodgy reception - forcing a software download could result in corrupted data being received. The checksum verifications should reduce the risk, but still - not the best advice to be giving in the circumstances.

What is the best thing to do then? I simply can not get a signal.

• Advertisement

fat-tony wrote: »

I agree, But thought poster had swapped spare box to cheak out signal in room with where original reciever wasnt working and found replacement reciver had worked ok which would point to possible sky update glitch or faulty tuner or PSU fault etc, I have never incounterd any dammage done to IC with software update Once Decent Signal is present and Reciver isnt faulty.

Caoimhín wrote: »
    What is the best thing to do then? I simply can not get a signal.

First cheak f-connector for wiring issue, if found ok Connect a spare or borrowed sky or FTA reciever in room and if you are getting decent signal & quality Level there seems to be fault with your original sky reciever, you could then try a system update as previously mentioned, If still no picture then fault is with reciever which would point to PSU fault which i have incounterd before and repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

my dish stopped working as its just under the gutters and when the gutters started sagging from the weight of the ice they were changing the direction of dish.
    Gutter fell off so no probs anymore

First cheak f-connector for wiring issue, if found ok Connect a spare or borrowed sky or FTA reciever in room and if you are getting decent signal & quality Level there seems to be fault with your original sky reciever, you could then try a system update as previously mentioned, If still no picture then fault is with reciever which would point to PSU fault which i have incounterd before and repaired.

I tried my brothers box and there was no signal with that either. The dish hasnt moved and there is no snow on it. One thing though, the wire from the dish, the imput ones, have no metal tops on them and it is just the little copper wires going into the box. Never had a problem with that before though.

I tried my brothers box and there was no signal with that either. The dish hasnt moved and there is no snow on it. One thing though, the wire from the dish, the imput ones, have no metal tops on them and it is just the little copper wires going into the box. Never had a problem with that before though.

Thats not a great way to connect your reciever, Sounds like you would be lucky not to have done serious dammage by shorting when connecting bare coax to reciever that way, Get hold of a F-connector and connect it to cable, do a google search which will show how to correctly connect f-connector to cable, once you have made connection screw f-connector to LNB imput and see if reciver works if no joy then you have dammaged either reciver or LNB and need to repair-replace.

• Advertisement

Thats the problem with half assed work, it makes it difficult to diagnose problems. I would have them terminated correctly, disconnect box from mains for a few minutes and then power up again with fingers crossed. BTW are the "metal tops" installed on the other end of the coax, where it connects to LNB?

I had no signal 2 days ago but that was due to snow!

Hope you get it sorted with it being Christmas and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Sorry I can't help but I feel your pain. I'm getting the exact same message.

The thing was working last night but not at all today. It turns out the dog damaged one of the cables outside.

Sometimes I can get a signal on one input, but the second is dead. But most of the time they are both dead.

My last hope is an electrician friend of mine is calling around tomorrow and is going to attempt to cut out the damaged section of the cable and splice it back together. Does anyone know if that is even remotely feasible? False hope is worse than no hope at this stage.

The OH's mother and three sisters are coming over for dinner tomorrow so I don't think war documentaries and old Chelsea matches saved on the hard drive will cut the mustard.

Get hold of a F-connector and connect it to cable, do a google search which will show how to correctly connect f-connector to cable, once you have made connection screw f-connector to LNB imput and see if reciver works.

Cheers, i did all that and poured some warm water on the LNB and it did the trick, working perfectly (although still nothing on so im going back to my book :o)

Thanks again lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I lost some of the crappy freesat channels like Horror and what have you. There was some snow on the LNB but if fell off and the channels came back...

Advertisement