Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scary 1 today sham

Options
  • 21-12-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

fired the marlin with a strange sound happening with the v max 17gr poly tip at a fox and missed as i thought and reloaded but the bolt wouldnt close so i took it out and looked up the barrel to find the round was lodged in the barrel ..........jesus thank GOD it never travelled another inch or i would have enough clearance to fire again so i went home and put the rod down the barrel and it pushed out without too much pressure i never herd of this happening before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ice (from condensation) or debris in the barrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Could just have been a squib load. Not unknown but rare all the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Two possible reasons.
    • The powder in the case was damp/defective and when the primer fired the powder did not fully ignite (if at all) and the bullet only traveled the small bit up your barrel.
    • There was no powder in the case and when the primer fired the pressure from this is all that sent the head on its journey. This would be my guess as you say you got the head out of the barrel easy enough and that it did not travel too far.

I would be cautious of the box of bullets. I would try one more bullet and inspect the breach/barrel after the shot. Problem is even if all the other bullets are okay you will have that niggling voice in the back of your mind every time you pull the trigger saying will this work.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Scary, but more than likely if you were able to load and fire another round it would have been able to push the first head out without causing blowback, still make you nervous though!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I very much doubt that, but as you said would not like to try it.

Each round is designed to propel the head out of the barrel. When fired an enormous amount of pressure is generated as is heat. The head requires this pressure to push it out of the barrel using the lands and grooves to stabilise the bullet.

If another bullet was to impact the first it would mishape the lodged bullet and the charge of powder may not have enough force to expel the two heads. If the charge was insufficient to push them out that pressure would have to go somewhere and it would find the point of least resistance which can be back into the bolt/breach/chamber. This is what causes accidents involving the bolts of a rifle being thrown back into the shooter.

Add to that the fact that most lads will not have experienced such a thing and they will immediately go to cycle the next round. Once the bolt is lifted it provides the pressure built up an escape route. Of course there is always the extreme incident were if there is even a small imperfection in the barrel/receiver it will "exploit" this weakness and thats when you get barrels "peeling" or breaking apart.

Its not something that most shooters would think to look for as they are a rare occurance, however try to listen out for the bang of the shot. You should be able to discern an improper firing of a bullet from a "clean fire".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Savage93 wrote: »
    Scary, but more than likely if you were able to load and fire another round it would have been able to push the first head out without causing blowback, still make you nervous though!!

Seriously bad idea for the shooters health.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

lucky escape for the fox:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Savage93 wrote: »

Agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Agree

If you fell and plugged your barrel you'd clear it by firing a round?

Maybe it's an unfair comparison, I'll admit to not fully being up on the subject but I'd err on the side of caution and push the bullet out manually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

johngalway wrote: »
    If you fell and plugged your barrel you'd clear it by firing a round?

Maybe it's an unfair comparison, I'll admit to not fully being up on the subject but I'd err on the side of caution and push the bullet out manually.

No, I'd agree, John. And if you think about it, a bit of snow or mud isn't anything like as tight a seal as that of a bullet engaging rifling, and there have been plenty of catastrophic failures from a bit of mud or snow. The pressure increase would be devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭blackwater doc

as im not gun shy went out today 6 foxes on the trot and not a bother with the marlin .....did have a new box bullets though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Agree

Disagree. :eek:

Advertisement