Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kids acting like animals when snow falls ......

Options
  • 21-12-2010 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm posting a thread in here because I want to get to know your opinion on kids acting ridiculously every time the snow falls down. What I mean by that is throwing rock hard snowballs at other people's cars, jumping on the cars standing in the traffic, or throwing snowballs and ice on other pedestrians !!

Don't you guys mind that ? Is it just me ?

I'm asking because there's very few people out there who are reacting. I had a situation 2 weeks ago myself, when driving through Dolphins Barn: two kids threw rock hard snowball from very close distance at the full power, scearing the **** out of my kid in the car who was sitting beside me. Stopped the car, got out and started giving out to them. You could see on their faces that they got scared and understood their mistake, so they would definately think twice next time, if not .... some mid-aged fella started defending them that "they are only kids, and I haven't got any rights to speak to them like that!!!".

THEY ARE ONLY KIDS???? SO WHAT?? What if he broke that bloody window and my kids face was cut by the broken glass, would that be still ok??? Does being a kid mean doing whatever the feck you want??

The other situation yesterday, just off the Cork Street. Fella walking on the footpath, 10 kids throwing snowballs at him one after each other, just like on the God damn shooting gallery!! No reaction from the guy.

Assuring these young people that they are untouchable makes that country worse and worse! And that's exactly whats letting incidents like the one in Finglas 2 years ago (kids stopping cars and throwing people out of them) to happen!!

I don't understand, why are we letting our kids do whatever they want? Why are we saying "their only kids" and "giving out wouldn't make a difference"?? GIVING OUT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE, they need to understand that this behaviour is NOT OK, and they are not untouchable!!

PARENTS, WAKE UP!!

Please comment guys, I want to know your opinion on that.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I'd call Joe Duffy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Personally I don't mind it so much, it's not as if they are setting out to hurt people by throwing snowballs, they are just having fun really.

I had a "horrible" incident when I got into my car on an estate, this youngster, I could only call him a gurrier, he must have been 4 or 5.
    He threw snow on me as I was entering my car.
    I then had to barricade myself into the car as he began throwing snow onto the front windscreen and on the side windows,
    he was laughing all the while.
    It was terrible Joe, terrible...

I really think you need to lighten up a little bit.
    Maybe the weather is getting to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

In my experience, giving out just makes them do it more. They're doing it for attention. If you don't entertain them, they'll stop. Apart from that, call the guards, but again they won't care other than get the attention for the "craic".

Apart from that, it's just stupid sh!t we have to deal with since the yoof of our nation are now mostly scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

I'd call Joe Duffy...

I will not be surprised as every little problem people have they ring that stupid show to complain about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Tis grand if it's just soft snow that falls off you when it hits you but I saw one poor woman get hit full force in the face with an icy snowball. It looked rather sore.

They would have got a face full of snow had they come near me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

What happens when animals go mad? They get put down. enough said. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Driving into city centre last time the snow hit and I noticed a number of young'uns firing snowballs at cars, cyclists, pedestrians. As I came out of the city, the same crew were still around the same spot on Dorset St.

One of them lobbed a snowball over the head of a pedestrian walking away from them. It was a perfect shot. The key part of this story is that this woman was tiny. Probably considered an easy target.

After getting hit she turned around to give out to the guys. The guy who threw the snowball was frightened, slipped on his back and landed in the huge pile of slush that skirted Dorset St.

Tip of the cap to the tiny lady who made me laugh!

There is no universal way of dealing with this. Some guys deserve a good rollicking. Others appear to be just having a bit of fun. Just dont do it to me!:pac:

I'm posting a thread in here because I want to get to know your opinion on kids acting ridiculously every time the snow falls down. What I mean by that is throwing rock hard snowballs at other people's cars, jumping on the cars standing in the traffic, or throwing snowballs and ice on other pedestrians !!

I'm asking because there's very few people out there who are reacting. I had a situation 2 weeks ago myself, when driving through Dolphins Barn: two kids threw rock hard snowball from very close distance at the full power, scearing the **** out of my kid in the car who was sitting beside me. Stopped the car, got out and started giving out to them. You could see on their faces that they got scared and understood their mistake, so they would definately think twice next time, if not .... some mid-aged fella started defending them that "they are only kids, and I haven't got any rights to speak to them like that!!!".

THEY ARE ONLY KIDS???? SO WHAT?? What if he broke that bloody window and my kids face was cut by the broken glass, would that be still ok??? Does being a kid mean doing whatever the feck you want??

The other situation yesterday, just off the Cork Street. Fella walking on the footpath, 10 kids throwing snowballs at him one after each other, just like on the God damn shooting gallery!! No reaction from the guy.

Assuring these young people that they are untouchable makes that country worse and worse! And that's exactly whats letting incidents like the one in Finglas 2 years ago (kids stopping cars and throwing people out of them) to happen!!

I don't understand, why are we letting our kids do whatever they want? Why are we saying "their only kids" and "giving out wouldn't make a difference"?? GIVING OUT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE, they need to understand that this behaviour is NOT OK, and they are not untouchable!!

PARENTS, WAKE UP!!

I totally agree with you. Parents should wake up in this country. They give too much freedom to their darling kids. Me am not afraid to speak up to them either they are alone or with their parents. If you give out to them , you'll see them surprised and gone red in the face. Am not going to have little ****ers controling my life, I did give out to them a few times and it work so i recommend other do it too. Obviously people who says that they are kids probably have their own kids acting like that and they can't control them. The country will get worse with people like that. Too many scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I agree with OP. Had the joy of being forced to brake suddenly on a glass-like busy road a few weeks ago because the local kids decided to push each other across the road for a slide around 6pm when traffic is normally very busy. I rolled down the window and yelled 'what the **** are you doing' - for all the good it did. :rolleyes:

Of course it would be all my fault if a kid slid under my car! Or if in trying to avoid a sliding kid, I crashed into a lamp post or another vehicle? That particular road is often mentioned as 'treacherous' on AA Roadwatch, but I have to use it in order to get home, no choice :(

I've no problem with kids playing in the snow and having a laugh, but it is not OK to put other people's lives in danger!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 oneoneeight

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Personally I don't mind it so much, it's not as if they are setting out to hurt people by throwing snowballs, they are just having fun really.
    Yeah THEY are having fun, but are YOU having fun ? Is it fun to you when you 10 teenagers are throwing loads of snowballs at you ? I'm not saying it makes me cry to the pillow whole night but it certainly pisses me off, especially when my wife tells me she got bombarded by some punks while walking home from work!
    Proxy wrote: »
    In my experience, giving out just makes them do it more.
    I disagree with you. No one gives out and that's exactly why they keep doing it. Whenever I reacted they were either standing there scared and listening to me or simply running away as fast as they were able to. Next time they won't feel as confident while throwing sh*t on someone.
    Proxy wrote: »
    If you don't entertain them, they'll stop.
    They won't stop. Nobody reacts at the moment and they are constantly doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Whereas posting on boards about it is really proactive...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

they are just kids ....to be honest it not just that .... they are just scumbag kids !!

they do it because they can get away with it .... who's going to stop them ?

if you touch them they'll contact a solicitor (they have them on speed-dial) ... and their mates will video you "assaulting" them....so you loose either way !!

PCPhoto wrote: »
    if you touch them they'll contact a solicitor (they have them on speed-dial) ... and their mates will video you "assaulting" them....so you loose either way !!
    it is not about kicking their ass, it's about scaring the sh*t out of them so they will think twice next time!

as scorpioishere said, most of them kids get embarrased or scared as soon as they see you giving out!

as scorpioishere said, most of them kids get embarrased or scared as soon as they see you giving out![/QUOTE]

Well am talking about my own experience and some friends too and it works out. If you give out to them they will stop doing these stupids things but if you say they are kids, let them enjoy, well they will continue to be a scumbags all their life. If their parents can't control them well other people will have to do it and show them how to behave in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was that on Donore Ave outside the flats? Was one of those lads who had to walk past the little cnuts yesterday, let them throw about 6 or 7 let them have a bit of fun, then just turned around and told them if they threw one more they'd be eating the snow, they stopped nice and quick then.

Once they know they get away with it they'll do it, say something to them and they'll think twice. Walked past there twice today and didn't see one kid throwing snowballs.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'd call Joe Duffy...

Well it's ok for you. You could just dodge all the snowballs :D

Seriously though...It's just another symptom of the degradation in the quality of parenting. The old style of physical punishment is frowned upon now, but as a society, we haven't really found a good replacement for this type of discipline. At least not yet.

Of course, I am being very general here. There are many many parents who have moved on from physical punishments and found very effective, and positive alternatives.

Was that on Donore Ave outside the flats?
    It was The Coombe actually, just at the junction with Meat St.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Stopped the car, got out and started giving out to them. You could see on their faces that they got scared and understood their mistake, so they would definately think twice next time, if not .... some mid-aged fella started defending them that "they are only kids, and I haven't got any rights to speak to them like that!!!".
    I read something recently on boards, maybe even the Dublin City thread, where a guy saw kids/teenagers pummel a cyclist with snowballs and when he tried to shield himself they kicked the living daylights out of him. The driver was pretty much powerless to intervene knowing he'd get the same. He went to gardai to report it and gardai said there was nothing they could do because they were minors.

My point OP is don't ever get out of your car and leave yourself and/or your son vulnerable to a physical attack. In this day and age unfortunately doing something like that could leave you in hospital or even worse dead. That's the sad times we live in but its true. I always lock my car doors in all types of weather so no-one can get into the car. I know I'd be one of those people who'd fight back because I'm hot headed and I'm a small female but I'm starting to realise that doing that could put me in a dangerous position.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

last january, 600e worth of damage done to my car by kids throwing a monster snowball at my car.

but sure they are only kids, the fact that i didnt have a car for 3 months is irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kids threw snowball at me. Made a snowball. Made one the size of the kids head. Compacted it. Asked kids who threw the snowball at me. All pointed at one kid. Couldn't care less if he was the one who threw it or not. Walked after him. Cue kid fleeing in terror. Picked another kid, and threw snowball at him. Missed, but didn't care. No more snowballs were thrown at me.

Walking to shop later that day. Another bunch of kids see me approach, and pick up some snowballs. When I get closer, I tighten gloves, and do the gangster "cracking knuckles" movement with my hands inside my gloves. Look into their eyes, looking for a fight. Cue gang of kids continuing to walk.

Fear is the name of the game. If they think you're afraid, they'll attack you. Show no fear, and they'll be wary of you.

I don't care who they are: if they attack me, and they're not bigger than me, I'll attack them back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I was shovelling the snow from around my car today when two kids f*cked a snowball at me. I turned around with a shovel full of snow, gestured to it and then looked back at them. No more snowballs were thrown at me.

Don't start something you can't finish...! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

out and out utter little knackers is all they are, would love to get out of my car with an AK 47 and just riddle the snow around them and watch the chickeny little scangers **** themselves....

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scifi77

I'd call Joe Duffy...

Don't get me started........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Used to get them a lot around North Strand when I lived there, so ****ing annoying. All kids (and some adults) will play in the snow, that's expected, but these are the scumbags who get out of bed in the morning with the sole intention of pissing everyone off and bringing everyone down. I'd be standing at the bus stop and they'd be pelting us (which I didn't mind myself, but there were a lot of elderly people waiting at those stations and some of the snowballs were quite hard) and then when the bus finally came all the little knackers lined up in front of the door with snowballs ready, causing the bus to drive off.

But as so many of you point out, it's the motorists that get it the worst.

the_syco, acting like a hard man is all well and good but sometimes I just wanna get my bus or whatever without having to stoop to their level and chase them around like a muppet. Besides, I reckon most of these stories about "I threatened to get them back and they ran off scared" are BS, or else you happened to run into a particularly soft bunch of lads. Most of them would gladly take up your challenge to a snowball fight so you're wasting your time there (unless of course you actually want a snowball fight, which sometimes you do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Have to laugh at those saying they don't care and they're only kids.

A neighbour of mine died recently due to crashing his car after a load of little shíts fired snowballs at it.

Dangerous little scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

PARENTS, WAKE UP!!

Round them up - shoot them all and shut the hell up moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'd smack Joe Duffy...

FYP.

OP, dead right. Been hit a few times, and on one occasion nearly lost control of the car (road was a complete ice rink at the time). Felt like snappping their necks, although I managaed to restrain myself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

still giggling to myself about a scene i seen outside the local tesco express. theres a narrow foot path with railings either side, local scumbags( not kids by any means there were 15-17) lurking at the end of the path hurling snow balls at everyone, que the security man coming out , taking snow off the roof of a car and gettin a perfect shot with a snowball to the back of one of the scumbags heads, followed by a swift get the **** out of it, never seen them scatter so fast :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I think you'll find these feral children are the product of our failed welfare state. They'll multiply and multiply over the years and we'll become more and more a disgusting nation with no respect for anything.
    It's going to get a lot worse. The only solution is eugenics but people would up in arms with that too. So we'll continue to keep on shooting ourselves in the foot meanwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Yep, and the best bit is that the non-scumbag families will have less children now because of the recession and these kids will emigrate when they're in their twenties. All we'll have here in a few year are scum, unemployed, pensioners, and people on disability allowance.

Advertisement