Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help me save my big batch of fudge???

Options
  • 21-12-2010 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

I was making 4 batches to give some to friends, but it's all gooey, hasn't set at all.

Boiled it to 240 degrees F and placed in cold water for about 5 mins & then poured it into a tray - they last bits I scrapped out were ok & seem to have set, but the rest (the vast majority) is not setting......so either I didn't boil enough or I didnlt leave it in the water long enough.

Anyone any ideas or is it all fit for the bin???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Fudge should be cooked to 240F, constantly stirring, so your temperature is correct. If you want it slightly harder, you can increase it to 242-243F.

Once the fudge reaches that temperature, you pour it into a greased baking tray to cool, untouched. It should take around 20 mins to come to room temperature in a 9"x13" tray.

Once cooled to room temp., you have to mix it. By hand, this takes around 6 minutes. By mixer using the paddle attachment, 3 minutes. You'll know it's ready when it loses some of its shine, and thickens slightly. Don't undermix, otherwise it'll have a grainy texture. Overmixing causes it to harden too quickly, and it'll be nigh impossible to pour out of the bowl.

Once adequately mixed, pour into a greased tray. Leave for 1 hour at room temperature to crystallise, then cut.

...so it seems you didn't mix it at all. But, it may be salvageable. Try mixing the entire batch either by hand in a large bowl using a wooden spoon, or a mixer, until it loses some of its shine and thickens slightly. Then re-tray and wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

I did mix for about 5 mins with pot in cool water, but I guess I didn't allow for the fact it was a quad batch.....plus I mixed by hand with a wooden spoon, I'll give it a go with the spoon again (or will see if my punny mixer is up to the job) & hope for the best (will have a cuppa first, after tackling the shops for the last 4 hours....most of that was driving!!!)

Thanks Magic.....I'll let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Oh, never again.....thanks for the advice, but no joy.

Ah well.....whats left is ok-ish, abit grainy, but I took it up to the boil very slowly & checked all the sugar was dissolved before it went to rapid boil.

I'm not a bad cook, but I'm a disaster with desserts....about 75% of them fail for me (though I make a mean fruit salad :D).

I give up !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Little A try HootieTootie's recipe here (post #18) ,a microwave recipe that is just so gorgeous, smooth and easy to make. No thermometer needed, just follow the instructions precisely, do stir every 3 mins, etc.

Don't give up on deserts, just keep on making them and eventually they'll stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

+1 for that microwave fudge recipe. I have always failed at fudge and that recipe worked perfectly. Had planned to make lots as gifts but scoffed the whole first batch myself. I was afraid what would happen if I made more.... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement