Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Radio Stations

Options
  • 21-12-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

So, just wondering if anyone knows any good ones other than Lyric?
    I have a sexy Android phone to stream online from and have been enjoying WETA from the States but would be interested in others.

Edit: Forgot AVRO, baroque around the clock.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Nevore wrote: »
    I have a sexy Android phone to stream online from and have been enjoying WETA from the States but would be interested in others.

Edit: Forgot AVRO, baroque around the clock.;)

BBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Nevore wrote: »

A flawed question IMO in that it implies that :
    - Lyric is a good radio station
    - Lyric is a classical radio station

It is neither. All relative in the light of the nation's current woes but the descent of Lyric into radio hell over the last 18 months is a national disgrace that has gone quietly unnoticed. It used to offer a distinct and focused programme of music to a small but significant portion of the radio listening population. Now it offers an undistinguished programme of low quality music with the added insult of inane 'dj' patter to an equally small listenership. Shameful waste of public broadcasting, where someone decided to 'fix' what wasn't broken.

It used to be a Radio 4 and Classic FM beater. Now it is sub Classic FM. And if you think that is a really damning comparison to make then you have understood my point.

If you google internet radio you will find many indexes to streaming sites. Most in low quality audio, but listenable to depending on what you need. Messy depending on your tech knowledge to connect it to your hifi if that is what you wish. But doable, and you will likely find some good stations from the many on offer. No others worth picking up on the radio waves in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Sandwlch wrote: »
    A flawed question IMO in that it implies that :
    - Lyric is a good radio station
    - Lyric is a classical radio station

It is neither. All relative in the light of the nation's current woes but the descent of Lyric into radio hell over the last 18 months is a national disgrace that has gone quietly unnoticed. It used to offer a distinct and focused programme of music to a small but significant portion of the radio listening population. Now it offers an undistinguished programme of low quality music with the added insult of inane 'dj' patter to an equally small listenership. Shameful waste of public broadcasting, where someone decided to 'fix' what wasn't broken.

Couldn't agree more. I rue the days when Lyric used to have a programme called "The Full Score" (which I always referred to as the best sports programme on Radio :)), now we have smartar$es like Marty Whelan pretending they're Terry Wogan. As for Gaybo's collection of mediocrity and John Kelly's jazz obession, I despair!

Advertisement