Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CELESTRON 70MM TRAVEL SCOPE

Options
  • 21-12-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Hiya guys

Just got this as anxmass present for my dad. The below is a very good review about the travel scope.
    http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2563

There is just one part of the review that I am keen to learnn more about.

"This scope is a good option for someone who wants an inexpensive scope that can be stored on a closet shelf in a tiny apartment or efficiency, or kept in a car or pickup truck for spur of the moment views. Traveling to tournaments is a breeze with everything stored in the backpack. Finally, a couple of inexpensive Plossl eyepieces and a prism star diagonal will really make this scope shine, improving performance exponentially"

What the hell are plossl eyepieces and prism stars :rolleyes:, and does this mean that i will be able to upgrade the travel scope as time goes by.

The scope will prob be used more for day time landscape/wildlife viewing, but it would be great to improve the power of the scope for night time viewing.

Thank you for any info :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hiya guys

Just got this as anxmass present for my dad. The below is a very good review about the travel scope.
    http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2563

There is just one part of the review that I am keen to learnn more about.

"This scope is a good option for someone who wants an inexpensive scope that can be stored on a closet shelf in a tiny apartment or efficiency, or kept in a car or pickup truck for spur of the moment views. Traveling to tournaments is a breeze with everything stored in the backpack. Finally, a couple of inexpensive Plossl eyepieces and a prism star diagonal will really make this scope shine, improving performance exponentially"

What the hell are plossl eyepieces and prism stars :rolleyes:, and does this mean that i will be able to upgrade the travel scope as time goes by.

The scope will prob be used more for day time landscape/wildlife viewing, but it would be great to improve the power of the scope for night time viewing.

Thank you for any info :)

Plossl eyepieces are just the nickname for a basic type of eyepiece, they work really well! The smaller the mm size the greater the magnification but smaller the field of view as a rule. Dunno about the prism thingy sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

the prism diagonal will be needed for use during the day for your wildlife or landscape viewing , it turns everything the right way up, without it the ground and trees would be upside down!!!

you dont use it for use on the night sky...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

robk24 wrote: »
    the prism diagonal will be needed for use during the day for your wildlife or landscape viewing , it turns everything the right way up, without it the ground and trees would be upside down!!!

you dont use it for use on the night sky...

Nice one! Although it wud be handy on the nightsky when star hopping tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

I just got one of these myself, the buckles on the case are flimsy and one was broken (a plus as it means I know they are to be replaced before they break in the middle of a field at 3 am)

It's a great little scope and very small, your dad will love it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement