Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord dragging feet on shower repair - options?

Options
  • 21-12-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi All,

Was just looking for some thoughts on the below:

Moved into a property @ the beginning of November - 6 month lease. Noticed upon moving in that the shower holder and boiler pegs were broken - these were fixed quickly by a person sent by the letting agency.
    The shower has never worked correctly since moving in (we didn't test it upon viewing - should've really). As this was a bigger job, the letting agency had to get permission from the owner to do so, which took a while. Recommendation from the LA's electrician was to replace the shower. The owner wanted estimates from other plumbers as to cost, LA advised that they only worked with one (very good) electrician. Owner sent a 2nd electrician around who simply replaced the element, after being advised by LA that a full replacement was required. The day after element was replaced, shower went altogether. Will not turn on at all. Owner is humming and hawwing and dragging their feet about having shower replaced. LA is stuck in the position of getting an absolutely raging phonecall from me this morning as it's nearly 6 weeks since I've had a functioning shower. My partner has put forward via email that he will arrange for the replacement himself and have costs deducted from rent if the owner doesn't get a move on, however LA have advised it's against PRTB regulations to do so. While we understand that the LA are stuck in the middle, and that the owner of the property is holding things up, at the same time, it's 6 weeks since we moved in that this has been dragging on, we've had to buy a shower hose contraption that isn't much help, and tbh, we're paying well over the odds for rent (needed a short term lease in a specific location) that we feel that there should be a bit more skip in the owners jump about this.

Would anyone have any opinions as to our options from here? Is having the work done ourselves a big no no, even though we have documentation of our efforts to have this resolved in a reasonable timeframe? Does a tenants "reasonable right to a peaceful premises" (is that the phrase?) cover a right to have reliable hot water facilities? There's discussions now of speaking to a solicitor friend about this - one the one hand, I'm the type of person who absolutely hates confrontation and cannot take the hardline for the life of me, on the other hand, I'm spitting mad that such a small, simple issue can't be just fixed, and I'm going into the New Year and nearly halfway through the lease without the facilities that were promised at the beginning of it.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You are entitled to a functioning facitily with which to wash yourself. If this is not provided (as it currently isnt) then the landlord is in breach of the lease. If it was me and after 6 weeks I was getting no joy from the landlord Id probably start withholding rent until its fixed. Its not strictly the correct way to handle it but its the way that will best get the attention of the landlord.

If the landlord is showing no interest in getting the issue repaired over the next couple of weeks Im pretty sure its grounds for terminating your lease should you choose so, but youd need to double check that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

he has to fix it report him to threshold if the dublin number doesnt answer then reing cork or galway also send him a letter requesting it be fixed quote the law at him aswell and send it registered post that way he cant say he never got it god i hate lazy LL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Tell the LA you will be moving out immediately due to the shower.

You are within your rights to do so and the LA cannot withold any art of your security deposit for "breaking the lease".

If the LL/LA has any sense they will fix it right away. Theses showers usually cost €350 installed - a lot less than the loss of rent the LA/LL will suffer from the place being empty.

Advertisement