Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Happy Snow Thread

Options
  • 21-12-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

This is a place for people who aren't sick of the snow. Aren't you just tired of going into shops and shop assistants wishing for rain? Mostly I just nod but I don't want the rain. Sometimes I feel like the only person left in Ireland who still loves the snow.

I know there is a lot of hardship out there and I do feel for anyone suffering. But mostly I see people just getting on with it - wearing crampons, snow tyre socks, etc.
    But I am very happy that we have a lovely covering of snow and I hope it lasts til at least Christmas.

Please don't post here if you HATE the snow - there are other threads specifically for that.

So bring on the snow love people! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i love the snow cos it reminds me of home :D
    spent all day building an igloo! roads are bad but they aren't stopping people from traveling around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭Archeron

I made a snow angel in the garden the other day and it was deadly. And I'm 34.

Waterpoof coat and trousers recommended.

Archeron wrote: »
    I made a snow angel in the garden the other day and it was deadly. And I'm 34.

Waterpoof coat and trousers recommended.

haha deadly. well i'm 30! i went through 3 pairs of trousers today. my jacket is still trying to dry out! the lads next door working were staring at me and laughing hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

I will love it even more tomorrow when I'm finished work and don't have to go out again. I still get that childlike thrill when I see snow. Even though the grown-up part of me is going "Oh no, snow! How am I going to get to (insert destination here)?"

First time I ever remember seeing a white Christmas so....woohoo! :D

i hope that everyone is safe though all the same.

this is going to be deadly christmas day if this snow sticks around til then!
    i have to build another snow man. the last one died a fortnight ago.. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

this is going to be deadly christmas day if this snow sticks around til then!
    i have to build another snow man. the last one died a fortnight ago.. lol

Last year I got a white Christmas and it was magical. A proper white Christmas, with lying snow and snow showers throughout the day. It was the first time I've ever seen one and I'll never forget it. :) Hope your Christmas is white!

i think even if we had a mad thaw start tomorrow, we'd still have snow left at christmas!
    kinda wish i had a 4wd vehicle though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

We're still waiting for snow here in Tipp Town,,...

Magnum wrote: »
    We're still waiting for snow here in Tipp Town,,...

I hope you get your snow soon, before the thaw sets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

• Advertisement

wow that snow leopard and owl are brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

a couple of friends and i went sliding today and after about two hours a bit of snow had stuck to my sleeves it froze solid and they were like casts. the hill was brilliant, like been a child again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Love the snow. I got a pair of yactrax for my shoes so can still walk around without the fear of falling especially on the pavements.
    Travelling home to Belmullet for Christmas. Parents place is high up and they have loads of snow :D Only wish I could have gotten winter tyres to make travelling a bit easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I too love this weather. Crisp, dry, calm, bracing sub-zero temperatures. Forty shades of blue in the sky, glorious light from dawn to dusk, making even the banal look beautiful. There is no damp, no gale-force gusts blowing the rain horizontal, and for a change kids' noses are not dripping with snot.

I call it European weather. If it's to be the norm in future, then we need to learn to embrace it and adapt to it. The learning curve might be a big challenge, but some parts of Northern Europe have always had this kind of weather, or even more severe variants, and they have learned to cope with it and maybe even enjoy it.

Here we think it's worse than Siberia, sitting grimly in our cars for six hours to travel a distance that normally takes 30 minutes, and the Siberians just smile wryly.

Norwegians and Swedes are out belting around on sledges and skis from an early age. The Finns sweat amiably in communal saunas, then go outside and roll in the snow or plunge into the Baltic Sea through holes cut in thick ice. The Danes and the Dutch keep on cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 johnd12

it was 85 degrees here in Austin yesterday, anyone want to send some snow this way? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

love this one guys! im 29 and i get my whole family out sliddin down any peice of ground with a slope. plastic bags all the way:rolleyes: dont hav fancy sleighs and cant make one.

interested in what you would use for sliding ...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I gave my wife her Christmas card earlier, and the pre printed words (I did add some of my own as well :D) are

Around the blazing fire glows a warm and cheerful light,
    Outside the frost is glistening, the snow is crisp and white..
    The sparkle of the season fills us all with cheer
    So have a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year!

At this stage, I'll settle for the comfort of the thought that the first bit is right, and that the snow is crisp and white, and it's the first time since we came to Ireland in 1989 that my daughter's had snow on her birthday, (which is today) and unless MT has got it wrong, which on balance he hasn't so far;), we're still going to be looking at significant snow on the ground if not also falling over Christmas.

The Christmas will be merry, and if the New Year is not prosperous, we all know who to blame for that :D

On Monday evening/Tuesday morning after the Frontline show, we came out of RTE and were walking back through close on 6" of snow to the vehicle, and looked at the tower, with it's lights, and the lights on the trees, and the snow on the ground, and The comment got made, "Normally, we'd have to pay a lot to be able to go to a place where we can enjoy what we're looking at right now", and there is no 2 ways about it, Snow on the ground does make the entire Christmas scenario much more appealing.and attractive.

It's making for problems with travel, (2 hours from Santry to Nutley Lane on Monday) and a host of other issues, but most of them are not the fault of the snow, they are the fault of a system and an infrastructure that's never been set up to prepare for and deal with the unexpected. Shortage of salt, despite last winter, shortage of machines to put the salt on the road, shortage of snow ploughs, roads that are not really built to cope with the climate or the volume of traffic, a water system that can't cope with cold weather, none of that is the fault of the snow, it's the fault of the people that decided (often badly) how to spend the massive sums that they had at their disposal.

The snow just has that magical ability to make it all look new, and fresh, and different, and appealing, even if only for a while, and for that alone, it's been worth it to see things like the children enjoying making snowmen, and getting even more excited about the imminent arrival of Santa because the sleigh will be able to get around more readily.

So, even though we're in all sorts of other bother, strife and aggravation, it's here, and we can't do anything to change that, so I'm going to enjoy it, regardless of if I'm at home, or having to get out to somewhere I wasn't expecting to do a job I didn't know was coming, or if I'm just sitting at my computer watching a massive frontal system come out of nowhere over the UK and dump more snow on the East Coast than most people have seen in a lifetime.

I have seen more, lots more, and in the places where it fell, overnight, they had things up and running again within a matter of hours, with no media drama, or angst, or anything else, because they know it's part of life, and could well happen again within a week.

So, I'm enjoying the snow, and the changes it's making, and I will enjoy the happiness and excitement that I will see on the faces of the grandchildren in the next few days, and I can't put a price on that. That's been brought home to me so clearly in recent days by the sudden and totally unexpected death just over a week ago of a very close friend of the family, and seeing the devastation that has brought to his family, it's made so much of what we too easily take for granted much more precious.

Go and have a great Christmas

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Snow > No Snow.

SIZE="1"]start Dougal impression[/SIZEI love snow, i'd wish for me birthday that I get a big bunch of snow for my birthday cake, and a big bunch of snow for my dinner and dessert. Plus supper.

I love snow.[/end Dougal impression]

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Great thread!!!!!! I love the snow! all the other comments said it already but i think snow is magical and beautiful and so fun and exciting
    waaaaaay better than rain!!
    Irish people love to moan about the weather but I lOVE the SNOW!!
    its not the snows fault that buses don't have snow tyres like in other european countries!

let it snow!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

CorkMan wrote: »
    Snow > No Snow.

SIZE=1]start Dougal impression[/SIZEI love snow, i'd wish for me birthday that I get a big bunch of snow for my birthday cake, and a big bunch of snow for my dinner and dessert. Plus supper.

I love snow.[/end Dougal impression]

Attaboy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement