Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I got an Android Tablet :D Now What?

• 21-12-2010 9:06pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Wanted to branch off from the other thread... I got delivery of my ZT-180 - just getting used to it - great so far but I'm sure there is lots I've yet to learn.

A few questions:

I want to be able to browse files on my network shared folders - how do I do this?
    How do I copy files from a usb to the tablet?
    Can I squeeze more icons tighter together on the home screen? Currently there are only 12.
    How do I get more icons between the different screens?
    I have the HTC Desire for a phone and I really wish my tablet had 4 buttons - not just the one like the ipad. Clicking Back or Home on the bar at the top of the tablet is tricky, any way to make it easier?
    I rooted it so I can get market access, so if anyone has recommendations of apps please share here...

If anyone else has a tablet and has any questions feel free to jump on this thread and ask questions or share tips & recommendations et
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I would strongly recommend you check out slatedroid if you haven't already done so. There's a dedicated android tablet community over there that's well worth checking out. (Not to knock this forum....it has been incredibly helpful)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Astro for file remote access.
    I presume the usb connection allows the device to be configured as an external usb drive.
    Squeeze icons using multicon
    Use folders for more icons on screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Picked up an advent vega today and so same question although I'm not sure if I should start a separate thread?

Basically looking to make it as simple as possible for a very technophobic person. So the less icons the better (for example with the vega there is a bottom taskbar type thing with facbeook/twitter links which the user will never use!). Would also like market access of course and this vega doesn't have flash support so I'd need to get that sorted. I guess rooting is the way it needs to be done but I'm not too up to date on that with a vega at all, in fact, I know very little about them. If anyone has any tips on getting it customised I'd really appreciate them!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Hi OP, a little off topic but how much was your tablet ? Im looking to get one early next year so its either the Galaxy Tab or something little less expensive ! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Estrongs File Explorer allows you to create shortcuts to network shares or FTP sites.

I've a question for you too. I've had my eye on these type of tablets as a PDF reader. I can view them on my phone but it's annoying to scroll around a PDF page. A laptop works OK but the keyboard gets in the way.

If you try a magazine PDF can you view a full page easily or is it still necessary to scroll around the screen. I've attached a couple of pages from an old mag (Stuff). Would anybody be able to try the PDF and see if it's viewable without scrolling on the tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The text in those PDF's is very low quality. I'd say it'll look fugly on an LCD screen. I'd suggest you'd be much better off with an e-book reader.
    MGMTea wrote: »
    Hi OP, a little off topic but how much was your tablet ? Im looking to get one early next year so its either the Galaxy Tab or something little less expensive ! :)

130 odd.

Have a look in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056114087

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

MGMTea wrote: »

Check out the Archos 101 - cheaper than the Samsung but better than the Zenithink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Zascar wrote: »
    Check out the Archos 101 - cheaper than the Samsung but better than the Zenithink

Hmmm, I have one and the video is a bit choppy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

cormie wrote: »
    Picked up an advent vega today and so same question although I'm not sure if I should start a separate thread?

Basically looking to make it as simple as possible for a very technophobic person. So the less icons the better (for example with the vega there is a bottom taskbar type thing with facbeook/twitter links which the user will never use!). Would also like market access of course and this vega doesn't have flash support so I'd need to get that sorted. I guess rooting is the way it needs to be done but I'm not too up to date on that with a vega at all, in fact, I know very little about them. If anyone has any tips on getting it customised I'd really appreciate them!

Where you pick it up? I want one to tinker with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

From this thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056065695&page=4

You're welcome to tinker with mine by installing the modaco rom as long as you give it back once done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

cormie wrote: »
    From this thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056065695&page=4

You're welcome to tinker with mine by installing the modaco rom as long as you give it back once done :D

I would but no hope of you getting it back :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Big Lar wrote: »
    Hmmm, I have one and the video is a bit choppy

From a very quick play with a 101 I thought the screen wasn't great (pixel wise)
    in comparison to the Galaxy Tab and it was a bit laggy.
    It was running 2.1 though, hopefully 2.2 will fix that as I've got my eye on the 7 inch version :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OK I'm going to try a few more things on my Zenithink today. I got an 8GB SD Card and I want to load it with stuff like photos, music, movies etc. What is the best way to do this, put on USB and trasnfer across, or get network access? Can this thing stream across the network like a movie?

Does anyone know of a good email app? I have my work email on here and one of the main reasons I want this is for flicking through work email and deleting and filing etc (I get a lot of mails) - the current app is not great - I also hate the black colours. The iPad email app looks amazing, is there anything comparible?

What is the deal with installing custom ROM's on my Zenithink like on any Android phone etc? Can I put a custom ROM of 2.2 Froyo etc? Does it even support it? The zenithink is a little dissappointing so far, kinda slow and laggy sometimes - it simply does not respond in the same was as my HTC Desire does. I'd love to try a better ROM. How? Rom Manager?

I've installed Estrongs File Explorer but cannot work out how to find Shared Network Drives. Anyone?

Advertisement