Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portugal surf trip in January

Options
  • 21-12-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Im not back to work till the 10th of Jan so Im looking at a surf trip to portugal, flights into Lisbon are only 150 with aer lingus so it looks like a good time to go. My ideal spot would be a cheap room near some decent reefs (preferably some rights) where I can get up early, surf all day and have a few beers in the evening. Ive been looking at Ericeira as its near Coxos and prob some other decent reefs in the area. My other idea was flying into Lisbon and out of Faro and working my way down the coast. So heres a few questions:

1. Are the waves as good as at home?

2. Is swell guaranteed and is wind a problem?

3. Will I bring my boards or is there decent boards for rent and how much?

4. Is renting a car essenial and is it expensive?

5. Am I better off heading to Morocco?

Thanks
    Ross

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

I would definitely bring your own boards... Ericiera is really close to Lisbon (1hour).. Maybe you could head north to Peniche which is another 1 and half approx etc.

I have only surfed one day in the Algarve, due to an injury. Ponta da ruiva was the name of the beach a surf school took me to, it was used by alot of surf schools tbh that day, I would imagine it would be quieter this time of year. It is in a National Reserve so access is difficult,.

I got in touch with a surf camp http://www.futuresurfingschool.eu/ in Portimao, Algarve and they picked me up and went surfing for the day and left me back to my accomodation. Really chilled out, relaxed and pleasant, I cant speak highly enough of these guys...I would drop them an email, they will give you advise on waves etc. regardless..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Sagres is a nice base for a week for so and plenty of good surf near, need a car though, or a surf school...

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Went to Ericeira in 2009 - awesome place, but bring your own board(s) and get a car. If you like seafood, you'll be in for a treat here as well. Small town but with a few nice restaurants! :)

Spent a lot of time at Ribeira D'lhas which is pretty damn consistent all year around supposedly. It's a right handed point - but it can get crowded. If you're looking for something more out of the way, there's plenty of that as well around. There's a pretty cool setup at Ribeira with a pizza place, bar and some cool people working in the place who'll give you all the local info.

Advertisement