Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 clock keeps changing

• 21-12-2010 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a recent Dell XPS420 with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit and I'm having to reset my clock several times a day. Earlier this morning, it jumped back 3 hours. At the moment, it jumps back 6 hours. It makes no difference if I select to sync with a network time-server or not. I have the correct timezone set.

I have no such problem with other machines on the same network.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭GarRo247

bumpydog wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a recent Dell XPS420 with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit and I'm having to reset my clock several times a day. Earlier this morning, it jumped back 3 hours. At the moment, it jumps back 6 hours. It makes no difference if I select to sync with a network time-server or not. I have the correct timezone set.

I have no such problem with other machines on the same network.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Check to see if the time in your bios is right, it can sometimes change the time in windows if it thinks its wrong, or your bios battery could be dead so the clock will start at the same time everytime you turn it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭bumpydog

It's just jumped back again...7 hrs this time. The machine has not been turned off or rebooted all day yet the clock has changed 6 or 7 times today. Will check the bios time. Machine only a year old so shouldnt be motherboard battery. Also , it's only changing the hour, not the minutes.

bumpydog wrote: »
    The machine has not been turned off or rebooted all day yet the clock has changed 6 or 7 times today. Will check the bios time

The bios would only change the time in windows during startup. so if its not been turned off its not the bios. have you done a scan with your antivirus?

Earlier this morning it was one hour behind. I synced the time with a timeserver to the correct time. It has just jumped back two hours. I am currently running a full scan of my system to see if the problem is viral.

M.

Scan showed negative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

According to a thread on Microsoft Answers, this might help:

Open the command prompt (press Windows + R on your keyboard, type cmd and press enter). Type in time and press enter. If the time shown by the command prompt is different to the time on the taskbar, it might be that the battery is failing and needs to be replaced.

According to a thread on Microsoft Answers, this might help:

Open the command prompt (press Windows + R on your keyboard, type cmd and press enter). Type in time and press enter. If the time shown by the command prompt is different to the time on the taskbar, it might be that the battery is failing and needs to be replaced.

As far as I know all that does is check the bios time, which we have kind of ruled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

GarRo247 wrote: »
    As far as I know all that does is check the bios time, which we have kind of ruled out.

I'd still check it. If nothing else the BIOS clock will go from being "kind of" ruled out to completely ruled out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭IrishB.ie

Do you run any other OS on it (including virtual)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Have you checked your region / time settings in Windows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Sounds like you have your timezone set wrong. Whenever the laptop syncs to a timeserver, it'll get the GMT time, then add/subtract the timezone difference and set that - pushing you off by a set number of hours every time the update happens.

snappieT wrote: »
    Sounds like you have your timezone set wrong. Whenever the laptop syncs to a timeserver, it'll get the GMT time, then add/subtract the timezone difference and set that - pushing you off by a set number of hours every time the update happens.

In his 1st post he said he already checked that.

Advertisement