Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivation???

• 21-12-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

How do i help get motivated to get the results i need. I dont know what was wrong but this year i had none at all and ive done really bad in my xmas tests. How do i get back to wanting to study and do well. Im not the only one thats noticed it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

I'm in exactly the same boat.............. but hopefully after Christmas it will change! I hope.

Good luck in finding motivation........... It's really hard but make sure once you have it don't let it go. Hopefully i will to.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

Christmas won't change anything guys.

Motivation is your own, I did nothing in 6th year. Was short 5 points for my desired course had to repeat for those extra 5.

my motivation second time round was that I couldn't spend another year on my own while my friends were off in college having fun.

Everybody says I'll start in January. Before you know it the Mocks are over and you still haven't done a tap. Just start asap and don't let yourself be distracted because come next September you don't want to be at home while your friends are away having all the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

If you don't study you will fail your Leaving Cert. simple as..

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Don't put it off. Do it today. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Does your school provide after school study? If so, go. You'll be so bored, you'll actually do something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Its still early in the year to be studying properly in my eyes. I didn't start proper study til after Easter and I got 555 like (I wouldn't recommend this though). Just keep on top of your homework but do work if you have any problems. Visiting Boards will make you paranoid as to how much study the majority of the country is doing.

I would recommend after school study though and to find a library or something because I'll admit that I would have done better if I had another week and actually studied for DCG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Christmas won't change anything guys.

Motivation is your own, I did nothing in 6th year. Was short 5 points for my desired course had to repeat for those extra 5.

my motivation second time round was that I couldn't spend another year on my own while my friends were off in college having fun.

Everybody says I'll start in January. Before you know it the Mocks are over and you still haven't done a tap. Just start asap and don't let yourself be distracted because come next September you don't want to be at home while your friends are away having all the fun.

Newsflash: If you plan on doing any worthwhile course and doing well in it you'll have to put up with a few more years of work after the LC as well. I'm not saying college isn't savage, it is, but it's not the house party/drinking/drugs/shifting/riding session all year that it's made out to be*.

*only the first few weeks of each semester are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Newsflash: If you plan on doing any worthwhile course and doing well in it you'll have to put up with a few more years of work after the LC as well. I'm not saying college isn't savage, it is, but it's not the house party/drinking/drugs/shifting/riding session all year that it's made out to be*.

It helps that first won't count towards my QCA too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Print the description of you chosen course (or courses) off and stick it on the wall of the place where you study.

College is worth it, lads. Just remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

Considering I've kept a 1:1 average in my two years of college and passed every exam and essay with flying colours since I'd say that this statement is true. The 'newsflash' while helpful is unnecessary. It's an honest statement to say attending college and living away from home is a far cry better than anything you ever experience in second level education.

You're right though, the leaving cert might be the hardest exam you do but once you hit college you'll have to strive to be better in order to shine. Whether a proper shot at a postgrad is your ambition or not.

People who say that they studied for 3 months and got 555...I have no reply except such genius rivaling rainman is not common in Ireland today so just start studying. In my opinion if you haven't started by 6th year you're doing it wrong. This isn't to say there isn't lots of time to start but the earlier the better.

Make a plan; how long you'll study each day; what days; what times; what subjects; what area's.
    It will help immensely.

I also find that writing out notes rather than reading them helps whether its some kind of ability to hold more information that you write yourself I don't know...but it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Go for a night out in a University town/city. The next morning, with your hangover, you'll say to yourself: "get studying son! I want that!"

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

If you don't study you will fail your Leaving Cert. simple as..

Bull****. I didn't study and came out with 375, Not studying is still one of the biggest mistakes of my life as I'm stuck repeating because I missed out on my course by 5 points.

Just knuckle down to it, get rid of distractions laptop/xbox etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

People who say that they studied for 3 months and got 555...I have no reply except such genius rivaling rainman is not common in Ireland today so just start studying. In my opinion if you haven't started by 6th year you're doing it wrong. This isn't to say there isn't lots of time to start but the earlier the better.

3 months (done properly) for the LC is loads of study, as much as anyone could possibly benefit from. I personally did about 2 months and came out with 580. It just depends on how well you study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I did a week and got 380, so it's never too late to study. :D Having said that, I did my homework every night as well. Homework is just as important as study. It helps you to remember what you did in class, and you learn from it.

Advertisement