Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Proxies.

Options
  • 21-12-2010 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Gents,
    May I beg your indulgence with a query please?
    I'm totally clueless on the tech side, so I'm hoping that I make some sense with this.

Question is:
    If I take a monthly contract with a private proxy, will the URL I get identify me as being from the country of the private proxy (U.S.) or from my own country (Ireland) ?
    I need the proxy URL to identify me as being from Ireland.

I really be most grateful if anyone could help me with this.
    Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Jack C.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

You don't get a 'URL' using a proxy, but if what you're asking is when you connect to a website via this proxy, where the website will think you're located, then it'll think you're in the US.

I proxy web connections through an Irish server for certain things (e.g. buying games on Steam).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

FruitLover wrote: »
    when you connect to a website via this proxy, where the website will think you're located, then it'll think you're in the US.
    Thank you, Fruit.
    That's exactly what I wanted to know.
    Bugger it anyway; I wonder are there any Private Proxies operating out of Ireland? I'll do a google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

I need the proxy URL to identify me as being from Ireland.

Can you maybe explain what exactly it is you're trying to do (instead of how you think you might do it)?

Sure thing Mr Hickey. :)

I want to re-apply to a particular bookmaking firm who have closed my betting account for being too successful.
    To do this I need:
    1) A new postal address. -- No prob. I have moved address recently.
    2) A different debit card. -- Again not a difficulty. Have opened a 2nd account with another bank.
    3) A slight variation on my name. Sorted, will use my second Christian name rather than my first.
    4) An URL which will not flag red on the bookmaker's system.

I should add that all the above are legitimate actions. No false information has been given to obtain the new address and new bank account.

All the issues listed above bar #4 have been resolved, hence my enquiry re Private Proxy that would indicate an Irish residency ( so as to not conflict with my other personal details).

There might be something else about a M.A.C address ( for the modem) which I don't understand -- but that can wait for another day.

You're presumably talking about an IP address, rather than a URL. You may be able to request a new one from your ISP (that's assuming you even still have the same one as previously, as ISPs often give IP addresses at random from a pool to home customers).

• Advertisement

FruitLover wrote: »
    You're presumably talking about an IP address, rather than a URL.
    Yes, of course. My bad. I meant IP address -- dunno how "URL" entered my head. Apologies for that. :o

So, any idea how I can find out if my IP was changed when I moved postal address? Do I simply email Eircom, maybe? If it hasn't been changed, -- I only moved about 1/4 mile btw, -- could I request a new and different one?

Would you recommend this avenue ( requesting a new IP ) rather than contracting with a Private Proxy provider?

Ah, didn't spot that you had moved house - if you've changed ISP, your IP address will have changed. If you're on the same ISP, it's possible that they've given you the same IP address, assuming you're still using your old modem/router (the same device tends to often get assigned the same IP address, due to its permanent hardware (MAC) address).

Getting a new IP may be as simple as power-cycling your modem/router. Visit www.whatismyip.com then power-cycle the modem/router. Connect to the site once more. If your IP has changed, grand. If not, try again the next day. If it still stays the same, call your ISP and tell them you want to get a new IP as you're having trouble connecting to whatever.

That's great, Fruit. Many thanks for that !
    I'll get to work right away with that whatismyip.com resource, and fingers crossed will be able to resolve this issue.
    Ta-ta again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I want to re-apply to a particular bookmaking firm who have closed my betting account for being too successful.

any chance of a few tips ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

If you're with eircom you should have no trouble getting a new IP address via power-cycling the router.

Also, make sure that your browser isn't providing any cookies (either by deleting them or by using a different browser) and that you don't have iesnare.

• Advertisement

Cheers Zab. Thank you for that.

LOL Auvers. Can't do, dude. This isn't about winners -- it's about arbing prices (arbitrage) -- backing contingencies and Laying them off at a lower price on Betfair. Only downside is if you are doing it right ( and consequently, profitably), your account will eventually be closed down by the bookmaker. Which brings us back to the core problem which initiated this thread-subject of private proxies. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I use www.overplay.net for that sort of thing. They have Irish proxies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

RT66 wrote: »
    I use www.overplay.net for that sort of thing. They have Irish proxies.

+1 for Overplay, have a sub with them for over a year now. Great service, never let me down...now to find a way of having an old WRT router act just as a VPN tunneler :)

Update: used an old FON with DD-WRT and yea can use it as a gateway for network devices yea want to tunnel down a VPN connection like you get from OverPlay. Instructions on their site on how to do it. Now I can get my Freesat receiver and PS3 to hook up to BBCiPlayer. Happy days!

Advertisement