Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon Lens Repair/parts?

• 21-12-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just had a camera upgrade and im gifting the old one away, the bayonet mount on the lens (18-55 nikon kit lens with the plastic bayonet mount.) has broken off 2 of the lugs that hold it into the body. i was able to remove the offending part pretty easily and even found them for sale on ebay pretty cheap, but i was wondering if any of you could help me out in tracking down one somewhere in dublin maybe, I'll be a while waiting for it to come from abroad if i do order it through ebay but sure, if i have to i will. Would really like to get it up and running as soon as though.

PS, I tried Berminghams, And despite spending 1300 quid on the D7000 the other week, they were totally useless in giving me any help at all, Even telling me that i wont be able to get the parts and i might aswell just buy a new lens off them as it would be cheaper than the repair. I'll not darken the door of that kip again.

Heres what it looks like, seems to be a common problem,
    Bayonet_Mount_Ring_Replacement_4_NIKON_18-55mm_18-105mm_18-135mm_55-200mm_LENS.jpg
    http://www.wheelshots.com/Refurbishment/Nikor-18-55mm-DXII-Bayonet/10863194_85bYK/1/757971833_YVLHF#757971833_YVLHF

The lens is pretty much the same as this, except its not the VR version as pictured.
    353_2176_18-55DX_VR2_side.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Search for username Zerohamster on these forums as he repairs cameras/lens.

However...

You do realise that that particular lens can be bought second hand for ~€50...and it's not that great of a kit lens at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Nforce wrote: »
    Search for username Zerohamster on these forums as he repairs cameras/lens.

However...

You do realise that that particular lens can be bought second hand for ~€50...and it's not that great of a kit lens at all?

yeah i know they can be bought cheap enough (89quid used in Berminghams), But the part to fix it was only $7 on ebay. Its not for myself, its just some old kit im giving away and i wanna hand it over in a "ready to use" state to someone who's looking to learn.

i actually binned an identical lens about a year ago that I had let fall and damaged. should have held onto it for parts. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I have the same issue with my stock Nikon lens. The camera got bumped and the plastic lens mount guide broke causing the lens to fall off the camera.

Is this part easy to replace? I am guessing a set of precision screwdrivers and a few minutes to replace the part.

The main question is, in the opinion of others, is it worth fixing or would recommend another lens second hand that would be a better item in the longer run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

To repair it you would want an XPT screwdriver (not a philips one as you will most likely strip the screw).
    Id be happy to buy it off you for a small sum though if you dont want to go to the hassel of getting the mount and waiting for the parts etc... then you can just offset that price on another lens?

As for the repair,not too difficult. You just need to be careful you dont rip the connector that communicates with the camera and also that you dont force the diaphragm guide into the wrong hole inside the lens.

I have the same issue with my stock Nikon lens. The camera got bumped and the plastic lens mount guide broke causing the lens to fall off the camera.

Is this part easy to replace? I am guessing a set of precision screwdrivers and a few minutes to replace the part.

The main question is, in the opinion of others, is it worth fixing or would recommend another lens second hand that would be a better item in the longer run?

Hiya, the part is linked in my original post there yup, its a piece of cake to fit too, theres 3 philips screws on the main plate looking up at you, and another 3 smaller ones on the side where the electronic contacts are. when you remove the part you'll see theres a small grounding cable attached to the underside of it with another philips, just undo that and screw the new part in place in the reverse of removal. Takes 2 mins. :)
    To repair it you would want an XPT screwdriver (not a philips one as you will most likely strip the screw).

It is a philips. Cant remember the sizes off hand but its nothing out of the ordinary.

• Advertisement

Actually the screws are not phillips screws, they are XPT (crosspoint) which differ from phillips in angle and the depth of the screw of which phillips screwdrivers can easily strip but they do look the same so you would be forgiven for never knowing about them.

Its another bid by manufacturers to stop normal consumers from opening their products and its the 1 out of 5 screws that require that extra torque to open that will strip and then that is when you have problems and next time send it for repair.

i think you might be thinking about a different lens, None of the screws are overly tight. They cant be, they'd strip the threading in a heartbeat if you went to town on them.

Any decent small crosshead screwdriver will be able to remove the screws, so long as its not a cheapo soft piece of cráp. Took me 2 mins to do the job. :)

OP, I didn't actually install the new part yet myself, while waiting for it to arrive i repaired the old one and moulded new lugs from epoxy. its holding great, probably more solid than it was to begin with, lol But if your not familiar with this kinda thing just fit the new replacement part.
    Have a look at this, the guy shows you everything you need to know, piece of cake. :)
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikondigitallearningcenter/discuss/72157606353463353/

Nope, same lens. I have one in my room as I speak. Nikon and Canon use them as well as a few other manufacturers.

The screws around the area you are refering to wouldnt be so tight but Im sure you have heard of threadlock which requires more torque?
    Also the plastic can hold a screw pretty tight without stripping the threads if overtightened even on the plastic lenses.
    An XPT screw is very similar to phillips but you would notice the difference using an XPT driver. Im not saying its impossible to open an XPT screw without an XPT driver but it will greatly reduce the chances of damaging the screw and making a mess.

I used a jewellers screwdriver first when I was starting but after a couple of tight threadlocked screws stripping I got the XPT screwdriver blades and they are perfect and havent even slightly damaged one screw so far.
    Hecklar wrote: »
    i think you might be thinking about a different lens, None of the screws are overly tight. They cant be, they'd strip the threading in a heartbeat if you went to town on them.

Any decent small crosshead screwdriver will be able to remove the screws, so long as its not a cheapo soft piece of cráp. Took me 2 mins to do the job. :)

OP, I didn't actually install the new part yet myself, while waiting for it to arrive i repaired the old one and moulded new lugs from epoxy. its holding great, probably more solid than it was to begin with, lol But if your not familiar with this kinda thing just fit the new replacement part.
    Have a look at this, the guy shows you everything you need to know, piece of cake. :)
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikondigitallearningcenter/discuss/72157606353463353/

The thread lock wont be a problem. Its pink low strength type specifically for plastic parts. If you manage to ring the screws, regardless of the thread lock, you are definitely doing something wrong. no offence, but as a mechanical technician, I fear you are making this sound an awful lot more difficult than it actually is.
    Nope, same lens. I have one in my room as I speak. Nikon and Canon use them as well as a few other manufacturers.

The screws around the area you are refering to wouldnt be so tight but Im sure you have heard of threadlock which requires more torque?
    Also the plastic can hold a screw pretty tight without stripping the threads if overtightened even on the plastic lenses.
    An XPT screw is very similar to phillips but you would notice the difference using an XPT driver. Im not saying its impossible to open an XPT screw without an XPT driver but it will greatly reduce the chances of damaging the screw and making a mess.

I used a jewellers screwdriver first when I was starting but after a couple of tight threadlocked screws stripping I got the XPT screwdriver blades and they are perfect and havent even slightly damaged one screw so far.

Hecklar wrote: »
    The thread lock wont be a problem. Its pink low strength type specifically for plastic parts. If you manage to ring the screws, regardless of the thread lock, you are definitely doing something wrong. no offence, but as a mechanical technician, I fear you are making this sound an awful lot more difficult than it actually is.

It's not the techs that ring the screws, it's people attempting to repair the lenses themselves that do it.
    No offense taken, I learnt my lesson to use the right blade for the correct application long ago.
    I dont know if you have much experience in repairing lenses but as a repair tech I have seen people ring screws often with lenses, give up and ask me could I fix it. The cause: incorrect blade and too much torque.

On another note, as a mechanical technician you would have a much better understanding of how mechanisms work, problem solving and how not to use an incorrect size blade for a screw that most people wouldnt have.
    It may be easy for you or I to dismantle and replace the part but if I was inadept at dismantling lenses I would want to know all I could rather then rush into it and end up making a mess of things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement