Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Totally flush fit sockets?

• 21-12-2010 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Was wonering if I'll be able to source single and double back boxes for fitting fully recessed/flush mounted sockets for power and data?

- Is for TV Mounting points that won't be used right away and will prob have a picture hung over them etc

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Raiser wrote: »
    Was wonering if I'll be able to source single and double back boxes for fitting fully recessed/flush mounted sockets for power and data?

- Is for TV Mounting points that won't be used right away and will prob have a picture hung over them etc

Just use normal single/double gang metal boxes and chase them into the wall,as normal (if solid concrete/brick wall) or use butterfly/winged single and double gang plastic back boxes (for studded plasterboard walls) and fit flush fit plates.

Simples.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks!

- Easy when ya know what yer at I suppose !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well it can be more tricky than that, them sockets are a lot deeper than normal sockets at the back, but normal metal boxes can be used, but they have to be put deeper into the wall if its a block wall being chased.

Standard steel boxes chased in their exact depth will be tight even on normal sockets because of the cables behind the socket connections.

But deeper steel boxes can be got, and make life easier because you then know you are in deep enough once they are flush with the wall surface.

Is it a brick wall or dry lined?

Update
    Is it normal white sockets your using? I first read the post thinking it is the flat plate ones your going to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Well it can be more tricky than that, them sockets are a lot deeper than normal sockets at the back, but normal metal boxes can be used, but they have to be put deeper into the wall if its a block wall being chased.

Standard steel boxes chased in their exact depth will be tight even on normal sockets because of the cables behind the socket connections.

But deeper steel boxes can be got, and make life easier because you then know you are in deep enough once they are flush with the wall surface.

Is it a brick wall or dry lined?

Update
    Is it normal white sockets your using? I first read the post thinking it is the flat plate ones your going to use

Thanks for that - Its a block wall and probably white plastic sockets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Raiser wrote: »
    Thanks for that - Its a block wall and probably white plastic sockets!

Yes for standard sockets you can use standard steel boxes as paddy147 said. I have fitted them boxes flush with finished wall surface and the standard sockets go in ok. A few mm deeper than perfectly flush and it gives a bit more room. If its a wall that is just brick and is going to be skimmed then you have a few more mm then anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement