Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pipe Burst in Next Door Neighbours House - No Way to Contact Them

• 21-12-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My friend has a house (terraced) where a pipe/tank has burst in the next door neighbours house. This was spilling water over into my friends house and flooding the main bedroom. The water has been turned off from the outside stopcock, so at least there's no more water flowing. From looking in through the windows there is significant damage in the house, with celings collapsed and flooding in general.

The problem is the house is currently unoccupied - I think the owner was elderly and has either died or gone to a home. None of the other neighbours have any contact information for the neighbour either.

What are the best steps for the following:

1. Contacting the owner of the house in order notify them and get the problem resolved.
    2. Arranging for insurance claim (would the claim be on my friends insurance or the insurance of the neighbour, if there is any).

There's been a builder over to look at things and he reckons that there's no point in fixing up the house until the flooding in the neighbours is resolved.

Thanks,

J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Bit long winded I know, but is there any way of checking records to find who owns the house? (In the UK, it's the land Registry, but not sure who it would be here).

Is the Local Authority a good place to start? From there, you can make contact with the owners and their insurance, I would assume. If the owner's in a home of some sort, then if you approach the home they might be able to help you find relatives who may be able to take responsilbility for the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

JazzyJ wrote: »

What are the best steps for the following:

1. Contacting the owner of the house in order notify them and get the problem resolved.
    2. Arranging for insurance claim (would the claim be on my friends insurance or the insurance of the neighbour, if there is any).

Contact the gardai. They have access to info you don't and have the best chance of getting this resolved.

Can't see how this is different to house being flooded by an overflowing river from an insurance perspective. So it would be off own insurance.

If the place is derelict, I'd imagine the option here would likely be that you'd have to break into the place (with assistance of gardai) and then have the place secured (boarded up). At the end of the day flooding can lead to structural damage so this is an emergency and needs to be resolved ASAP.

By you I mean your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

robd wrote: »
    Contact the gardai. They have access to info you don't and have the best chance of getting this resolved.

Can't see how this is different to house being flooded by an overflowing river from an insurance perspective. So it would be off own insurance.

If the place is derelict, I'd imagine the option here would likely be that you'd have to break into the place (with assistance of gardai) and then have the place secured (boarded up). At the end of the day flooding can lead to structural damage so this is an emergency and needs to be resolved ASAP.

By you I mean your friend.

Yeah but presumably the Gardai would only have the fact that person X lives in the house. Can't see them doing much more as its a civil matter, other than recording that you're accessing rather than breaking in to the house. Presumably, you'ld be liable for any damage done when accessing the house.

Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

this is a scary amount of pipes bursting in empty houses thesedays ,its making me scared to buy one :eek:

Advertisement