Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NES Power Adaptor

• 21-12-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what can I use as a replacement NES adaptor? It says AC 9V 1.3A on the bottom so can I just use any adaptor that matches that? Also will a SNES adaptor work, and does polarity matter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I use a universal one, as long as you have the polarity and wattage settings then your fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

What's the polarity? I can't see it written on the console anywhere, I'm hoping I have something can use lying around. Otherwise I'll just buy that one, looks handy.

Cheers lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

any power supply between seven and twelve should do the job. The amp rating is the max current it can supply. It'll only draw what it needs. The polarity is what side of the supply is positive and which is zero volts. It usually is on the power supply it looks liked a circle with a dot in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Snes psu will work,providing its the black box one,if you look at writing on the box itself it says use and (s)nes power supply

• Advertisement

The PSU for the SNES is identical to that of the NES, they're both 9V AC. I've seen some people use 9V DC PSUs instead but I personally wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Karsini wrote: »
    The PSU for the SNES is identical to that of the NES, they're both 9V AC. I've seen some people use 9V DC PSUs instead but I personally wouldn't.

Ac goes in one side, DC comes out the other. You'd know all about it if you put ac into a console :p

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ac goes in one side, DC comes out the other. You'd know all about it if you put ac into a console :p

No it really is AC, says it on the PSU itself. 230V AC is deadly but I'm sure 9V AC would be fairly insignificant.

nespsu.jpg

No it really is AC, says it on the PSU itself. 230V AC is deadly but I'm sure 9V AC would be fairly insignificant.

nespsu.jpg

That's a new one on me :confused: I thought all transformers for electronics output DC.

The above bothered me :rolleyes: so I checked it out. It seems the NES does indeed expect AC, but there's a little regulator straight inside the NES which takes that AC & converts it to 5v DC for use in the console. Why they didn't just do it all in the psu is strange though.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    The above bothered me :rolleyes: so I checked it out. It seems the NES does indeed expect AC, but there's a little regulator straight inside the NES which takes that AC & converts it to 5v DC for use in the console. Why they didn't just do it all in the psu is strange though.

That is odd. So I'd assume it wouldn't make any difference if DC was fed in? They could have put a rectifier in the PSU to do it.

That is odd. So I'd assume it wouldn't make any difference if DC was fed in? They could have put a rectifier in the PSU to do it.

Exactly, it will accept DC also. Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Op did you get sorted ive got NES adaptor as far as i no in the attic you can have if you still need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Cheers for the offer, but yeah it's all sorted out now :)

Advertisement