Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharon Commins on Prime Time

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Dudess wrote: »
    Read the rest of what I said.

But you weren't kidnapped which is something it's perfectly reasonable to make a documentary about.

What truth hurts whom? All it is is you having a go at anything you perceive as left-wing, the usual. Despite your "charity begins at home" assertion, something tells me you'd be calling charity workers based here "do-gooders" also.

Yes, that applies to every single aid worker ever - simply because you say so. Of course absolutely none of them have more honourable reasons. Also, humanitarian crises in far-flung lands are worse than the crises here. "Charity begins at home" - why?

What about at night?

Well the colonists who fucked up the place also "knew better", leading to much of the conflict today. When money is sent, it also gets condemned as "throwing money at the problem which won't make it go away, these people need to be educated at grassroots level" - hence aid workers. But either way, no doubt, damned do, damned don't by the naysayers.

You are wrong on every level. Congratulations. You've condensed every incorrect posit on aid into one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

You should pay no attention to most of the views expressed here. Just read them again, and count the number of spelling mistakes and the poor grammar. They are merely the meanderings of some type of puerile underclass, the boy racers of the cyberworld. I read this stuff for a laugh and try to guess how many of these boys did their Junior Cert.:D

We are well aware of what the intellectual elite did to Africa in bygone times..

Read a history book like a good child.

Look under colonialism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

No disrespect to the individualls going out to Africa - Sharon et al fair play.

25 years plus on from Live Aid and and achievements out there equal zero.
    No growth, no agriculture, no government, no ecomomy .. a generation on and nothing.
    Why ask people to donate to Africa when the money itself seems to be just needed for ransoms.

How does it take a generation plus to teach people to use water pumps , grow seeds, build basic homes---did we not have the missions out there for years before doing this.

What are the charities doing out there now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭big toenails

What a bat ! The sooner she's kidnapped again the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I read through about the first 8 pages, so here are my observations, (if anybody is interested..

Dudess... ironcastic . I agree that should be a new word. cos I never know where to use ironic or sarcastic, or whether they are synonyms at this stage..

I used to work for an NGO, about ten years ago.... and from my experience they are pretty much all
    i) on pretty good money (usually admin costs are 12-14% of total donations)
    ii) well qualified and
    iii) well intentioned..

I agree with the people that say that she knew what she was getting in to.. She's says that "Goal should have pulled her out because they knew something was going to happen"..... if Goal was to take that policy, they wouldnt put anybody anywhere..,. By the nature of their work it's kind of implied that they go in to dangerous countries, and I dont think they can blame John O'Shea for what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Susie_Q wrote: »
    No. I didn't study for 5 years to work in sales.

You obviously feel its beneath you then..a lot of graduates have that attitude,its why a lot of them wont take the jobs that are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

WindSock wrote: »
    Charity begins at home....

Absolutely, here's this country - a little sh1t hole that can't even look after its own. Let's get our own house in order first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You are wrong on every level. Congratulations. You've condensed every incorrect posit on aid into one post.
    And you just threw the above statement out without backing it up. Well done you. And you also say aid workers are rich hippies only doing it for the attention, because you... "think" that's the case. Your research skills are second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Just wondering what her angle is on doing this documentary now?

Seems strange to me. Like she's hunting a payout for compensation.

Oh breaking news: darfur is a war zone. Aid work ain't tourism
    :rolleyes:

Looks like she could have got out of there before the kidnap if she wanted

Having said that how can John o'shea justify goal policy not being followed. Makes you wonder for the others out there
    tbh I think she wasent in any danger at all cos the goverment paid a small fortune for her release what a load of s...e end of

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

tbh I think she wasent in any danger at all cos the goverment paid a small fortune for her release what a load of s...e end of

Good to see the govt are still spending taxpayers money wisely..paying ransoms to terrorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jayzee

kippy wrote: »
    Havent seen the programme, but watched the trailers and am familiar with the stories.
    This doesnt paint Goal in a very good light, and as much as I hate to know the charity itself, as it to organises some very good work, the charity has a responsibility to its volunteers as well.

Theres plenty keyboard warriors on here knocking what some people working in these areas give up and do for other humans. Pity really, theres no need for it that kind of an attitude.
    Some day you might need the help of a volunteer or you may find yourself in hard times.

Havent seen the programme.....I think we've heard all we need to hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Absolutely, here's this country - a little sh1t hole that can't even look after its own. Let's get our own house in order first.

yeah but you missed the rest of my post.there will always be needy here. Charity never ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cshelle1978

She'd get it though

And presumably did on a regular basis every day in captivity. A Dutch journalist kidnapped by the Taliban in Afghanistan admitted she was repeatedly raped by her captors: wonder why Sharon isn't as forthcoming.

She does scrub up well too. If the Govt hadn't coughed up the ransom they could have moved her into Saudi and sold her to some Sheikh, or maybe a bunch of ex pats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

And presumably did on a regular basis every day in captivity. A Dutch journalist kidnapped by the Taliban in Afghanistan admitted she was repeatedly raped by her captors: wonder why Sharon isn't as forthcoming.

Do you really wonder why she wasnt? Why should she be. It's sickening how some people seem to be hanging out for her to reveal sordid details of her ordeal.
    MAybe she wasn't raped at all, but if she was, she hardly has a responsibility to disclose those details to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

I have never understood the reasons why one should volunteer to go to Africa just in general. Or Palestine for that matter. If you have a skill that is in short supply then by all means go. Doctors and builders are always needed. Teachers too depending on how stable the area is. But to just go and help out seems to be something of 'white man's burden' redux. I don't know how people arrive from the West to an African village and not feel utterly compromised. No amount of well-digging can erase the stain that goes with living off the fat of the poor for the vast bulk of your existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

wonder why Sharon isn't as forthcoming.

She said clearly that she wasnt raped, though it had been in her mind that it was a possibility.. I dont she could be much clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dottyp128

When did it become ok for organisations to recklessly endanger the lives of staff? isn't that whats this is about? The frontlines of a war zone is no place for cowboy outfits who refuse to acknowledge their responsibility to protect staff. thats cowboy with a capital c. me thinks jon oh shay and his mupphet family have been on board.ie all over the xmas filling this tripe conversation. fait play to shannon for blowing it out of the water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ganimede

Degsy wrote: »
    But it DID prove my point..these people are seeking celebrity and getting other rubes to pay thier expenses.

Despite how "hard" they "work" when they're away,they all come back home to daddy with suntans and wall-to wall anecdotes..chairity my arse..just a cheap holiday with a bit of tree-planting throw in.

A tad bitter there Degsy... You got something you wanna talk about? You'd swear you knew what you were on about. Wonder what will come from your tinted specs next...

Advertisement