Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax credits in the UK

• 21-12-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

Right so in ireland you can claim tax credits for loads of stuff. Rent, bin collection, medical bills etc and it can be done using the paye anytime online.
    Is there a similar Uk site.

Also is there anything which i can obviously claim like rent allowance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Here is the HMRC tax credits website.

The old online system is down while they attempt to make it more secure. I doubt it will ever re-open.

Anyway, a brief answer to your question is 'no', not that I'm aware of.

Bin collections are covered by your council tax bill, NHS (doctors, hospital etc) is covered by your National Insurance payments and there's no rent relief.

You can claim a reduction in council tax bills if you are living alone in the house/flat or if you are a student.

Other than that there's not much you can obviously claim, there's no stamp duty relief for first time buyers, no mortgage interest relief or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Tax credits have a different meaning in the UK. Basically they're a subsidy to people on lower incomes. You can claim them if you've got kids and are working more than 16 hours per week. If you've got no kids, then you can claim them if you're working more than 30 hours per week. You can claim if you're self-employed too - same hours apply.

Advertisement