Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

linux installed on windows 7 machine - "no module name"

• 21-12-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

installed linux onto my windows 7 64-bit laptop, was working grand the day it was installed, and a few days after.

but i turned on the computer today after a few days of not using it (had only installed linux a week or so ago) and got this message :

"no module name found
    Aborted. Press any key to exit.
    Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083)
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This Product is covered by one or more of the following patents:
    US5,306,459, US5,434,872, US6,570,884, US6,115,776 and
    US6,327,625

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.29 (06/30/09)
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    Operating System not found
    _"

first, the dell load screen, then that. no options to do anything else.
    no windows, no linux, nothing..

any suggestions what this might be, or how to fix it?!?!?!

(preferably solutions that dont involve a disk drive as dont have one, installed linux via USB)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Sounds like you messed up boot manager. PXE is trying to boot an OS from the network.

You could give a go at reinstalling Linux and hopefully Grub will detect windows and show you boot options.

Or you could rewrite the boot sector / mbr with the Windows 7 installation CD. Not sure what windows 7 does, but on xp you can run this from the recovery console:

fixmbr
    fixboot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

will try that, you think it will work?

Windows 7 CD might have more user friendly recovery options. They should work I think.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Windows 7 CD might have more user friendly recovery options. They should work I think.

only problem there is i dont have a disc drive !

if i do get an external dvd drive, that has never been used with the laptop before, if i plug it into the laptop on the error screen with the windows 7 driver disc in it, will it work or do i need to set up/install the dvd drive for it to work?

• Advertisement

External should work. Give it a go sure and see how you get on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

First thing I'd check the boot order in your BIOS because there is no reason why you should be booting to PXE if you haven't set it as such. It is possible that it defaults to it if there is a problem with your boot disk, but better safe than sorry.

Secondly if you don't want to go looking for a dvd drive or want to keep linux, then have a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099 to reinstall grub which should also fix your problem, assuming that there isn't an underlying problem with your hard-drive or motherboard.

Knasher wrote: »
    First thing I'd check the boot order in your BIOS because there is no reason why you should be booting to PXE if you haven't set it as such. It is possible that it defaults to it if there is a problem with your boot disk, but better safe than sorry.

Secondly if you don't want to go looking for a dvd drive or want to keep linux, then have a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099 to reinstall grub which should also fix your problem, assuming that there isn't an underlying problem with your hard-drive or motherboard.

not too fussed on linux tbh, just want windows and a working laptop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Sounds like you messed up boot manager. PXE is trying to boot an OS from the network.

You could give a go at reinstalling Linux and hopefully Grub will detect windows and show you boot options.

Or you could rewrite the boot sector / mbr with the Windows 7 installation CD. Not sure what windows 7 does, but on xp you can run this from the recovery console:

fixmbr
    fixboot
    You'll be wanting bootrec for that on Windows 7.
    PlayGirl wrote:
    not too fussed on linux tbh, just want windows and a working laptop!
    If you want (or need) to use Linux on a temporary basis, it probably makes more sense these days to run it in a virtual machine like VirtualBox if your system can handle it. Other than that you would run a Live USB set up following the instructions on the Ubuntu download page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Enter BIOS, check boot order, see if PC see the harddisk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

If your laptop didn't come with a CD drive then it probably has a recovery partition. When you turn it on you press a button (F8 maybe) and it gives you the option to reinstall everything as though it was new.

Obviously that's an extreme measure, I would try all the other suggestions you get first, but it might do as a last resort. If you need to save important files then you can boot into the Linux Live USB (do you still have it?) and copy them off to an external drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

If your laptop didn't come with a CD drive then it probably has a recovery partition. When you turn it on you press a button (F8 maybe) and it gives you the option to reinstall everything as though it was new.

Obviously that's an extreme measure, I would try all the other suggestions you get first, but it might do as a last resort. If you need to save important files then you can boot into the Linux Live USB (do you still have it?) and copy them off to an external drive.

Unless you erased the recovery partition while installing Linux.

Advertisement