Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking To Join A City Centre Gym

Options
  • 22-12-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey there,

I'm looking to join a gym.

I've previously been a member of the Locker Room. I liked it but their full membership fee is nuts - 630 up front or 60 p/m dd. I've checked out the River's Edge - only €199 for full with classes included, but the weights area is very small. Fitton Street is weights only and the Mardyke is too far out.

I'll be looking to do weight training mostly (free weights as much as possible) but would be looking to fit in cardio as well. Not concerned about there being a pool.

Anyone know of any gyms located in the city centre which seem to tick all of my boxes for a good price?

Any feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

Would you have any interest in playing handball (irish type like squash without a racquet ) I play in a club in Togher.Its good for fitness.I could give you a free introductory demo.It only costs 1.50 per hour for the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭trailbiker

Thanks disco biscuit however handball isn't what I'm after. It'd be worthy of a thread of its own though if you're looking for a playing partner or just to drum up some interest. I'm specifically just looking for gym recommendations that suit the criteria which I've mentioned in my original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Yeah the locker room can't realistically command such prices, especially with no parking and really bad opening hours.

NRG in Jurys (The River Lee Hotel) might suit you, they have a pool too.

The Clarion Hotel has a gym also, I hear it's good.

Dermighty wrote: »
    Yeah the locker room can't realistically command such prices, especially with no parking and really bad opening hours.

NRG in Jurys (The River Lee Hotel) might suit you, they have a pool too.

The Clarion Hotel has a gym also, I hear it's good.
    Yep. No parking, and restrictive opening hours (as you've said) and no pool and yet it's 720 p.a. on DD compared to 640 (585 for UCC graduate) for the Mardyke Arena which ticks all of these boxes. Too far out of town for me though.

Never seen the Clarion's gym. Might be worth a look along with NRG.

I would think the Clarion gym wouldn't suit you. Pool facilities are good there, gym is small and not great weights wise. Opposite of what you want really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Im in NRG for the last 2 1/2 years no serious issues with them , and any problems that did crop up like steam room not working 100% was dealt with , gym is nice good mix of machine weights/ free weights/ cardio.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Sorry guys I posted in a year old thread there by accident! Can anyone tell me how much the oakgrove leisure centre in blackrock is?

Im in NRG for the last 2 1/2 years no serious issues with them , and any problems that did crop up like steam room not working 100% was dealt with , gym is nice good mix of machine weights/ free weights/ cardio.
    Thank you RoverJames and Outkast.

@ Outkast - do you have any ideas of the current single adult membership fee at NRG? Couldn't find it stated on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

trailbiker wrote: »

@ Outkast - do you have any ideas of the current single adult membership fee at NRG? Couldn't find it stated on their website.
    Usually in Janurary they do a deal , but i would expect it to be around the 600mark a year so , myself and the girlfriend have a couple membership for 100 a month thats on Direct debit, if you can pay in one go and they usually do deals in janurary you may get it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Steba

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055657737

Just thought you might like to search through this, Plenty of info on gyms here!

Also the last comment by me, read it :P Im not gona spam by sticking it up here again because its is a little off topic!

• Advertisement

trailbiker wrote: »

NRG is good, that's where I am the last two years, wouldn't go to the Clarion for half the price to be honest.

Advertisement