Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rnag 2 on the way

• 22-12-2010 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

In the 20 year plan for the irish language launched today it says that RTE will set up an irish language radio station for 15-24 year olds, this station will probably be available on DAB and online only which i think is a shame. what the bai should do is make newstalk move to medium wave and let RTE Use 106/108FM for this new youth irish language station.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

There's plenty of other frequencies they could use, why scrap Newstalk's one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Kunle wrote: »
    In the 20 year plan for the irish language launched today it says that RTE will set up an irish language radio station for 15-24 year olds, this station will probably be available on DAB and online only which i think is a shame. what the bai should do is make newstalk move to medium wave and let RTE Use 106/108FM for this new youth irish language station.

Medium wave??...that still exist? Is this still the 1950s? Can I still get it on the wireless?? :confused:

Whats your beef with Newstalk? That and Matt Cooper are becoming the only place recently that offers a less biased service than pravda/RTE.

Here, how about this...RnaG2 goes to 90-92Fm because the station that currently resides in that particular frequency range is a load of sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kunle

telekon wrote: »
    Medium wave??...that still exist? Is this still the 1950s? Can I still get it on the wireless?? :confused:

Whats your beef with Newstalk? That and Matt Cooper are becoming the only place recently that offers a less biased service than pravda/RTE.

Here, how about this...RnaG2 goes to 90-92Fm because the station that currently resides in that particular frequency range is a load of sh*te.
    Newstalk should have been on medium wave only from the start. talk radio belongs on AM. I dont know what your going on about with the 50s, in the Uk BBC 5 Live and talksport are mw stations and 80 percent of their listeners are on mw, how many radio sets dont have am ?

Newstalk should have been on medium wave only from the start. talk radio belongs on AM. I dont know what your going on about with the 50s, in the Uk BBC 5 Live and talksport are mw stations and 80 percent of their listeners are on mw, how many radio sets dont have am ?

I live in ireland though. Even Radio 1 came off MW as its pretty much dead in this country. Guarantee noone would look for newstalk if it was taken off fm. Maybe youre just afraid of the opposition to your party's cheerleaders over at RTE. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kunle

I live in ireland though. Even Radio 1 came off MW as its pretty much dead in this country. Guarantee noone would look for newstalk if it was taken off fm. Maybe youre just afraid of the opposition to your party's cheerleaders over at RTE. :rolleyes:

you can tell you live in ireland when you think newstalk is a good talk radio station, other countries would laugh at newstalk, it closes down most nights at 10 pm ffs, when cowen was making the annoncement about the imf on a sunday evening newstalk were broadcasting a repeat of some arts program, every major breaking news story that has happened at night like the death of micheal jackson newstalk has been off air, its been on the air 8 years (4 years as a dublin station) and it has not once made a profit.

• Advertisement

you can tell you live in ireland when you think newstalk is a good talk radio station, other countries would laugh at newstalk, it closes down most nights at 10 pm ffs, when cowen was making the annoncement about the imf on a sunday evening newstalk were broadcasting a repeat of some arts program, every major breaking news story that has happened at night like the death of micheal jackson newstalk has been off air, its been on the air 8 years (4 years as a dublin station) and it has not once made a profit.

Yea Newstalk are cheap out but thats the pitfalls of trying to operate a commercial radio venture in Ireland without the state propping it up.

Speaking of that conference, wasnt that the time RTE cut away from Vincent Browne while the BBC and Sky News stayed with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Whats wrong with newstalk? apart from Tom Dunne:D.They should put that new one on MW instead..Let them go listen to RnaG.RTE have it easy getting all the money from the licence AND advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sorry Kunle, but this is clearly one of the funniest and most ridiculous posts I've seen in radio so far... thanks for that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Spot on, but the shower of tosspots that were assigned with broadcast frequency usage post '88 decided to kill, no, murder AM, 30 or even 40 years prematurely.

Radio 1 was also broadcast on FM so the service on AM would naturally be neglected by the listener.
    Because of the IRTC's (read, bunch of arseholes) "forward thinking :(" in killing off AM, Newstalk would have a insurmountable struggle to gain listeners on AM even though Talk radio suits AM perfectly well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

For all it's faults, Newstalk provides a much needed alternative to Radio One. They have some great shows, Moncrieff being the stand out one in my opinion. The idea of putting it on AM is just silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

what the bai should do is make newstalk move to medium wave and let RTE Use 106/108FM for this new youth irish language station.

The plan is aspirational for a start, additionally a block of the FM dial, 92-94 is already given to , well lets call a spade a spade, a minority interest station.
    In Dublin a further frequency is used for RnaLife.

It may not be popular to say this but the reality is the listenership for RnaG, RnaL & RiRa are very low and the idea of giving 'RnaG 2' the popular Newstalk spots is as absurd as Ray Burkes plans for 2FM back in the early '90s.

Good luck to all involved in 'RnaG 2' but its natural home is DAB not the resource that is the FM band.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

They should never have given 'céad sa dó beo!" to whoever is now on 102FM. Raidió na Lífe had marketed their position on that frequency for years and then for some reason they were evicted over to 106.4. I wonder were brown envelopes exchanged for that eviction also, because we know that was certainly the case with the radio licences granted by Ray Burke in 1989/the early 1990s.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    They should never have given 'céad sa dó beo!" to whoever is now on 102FM. Raidió na Lífe had marketed their position on that frequency for years and then for some reason they were evicted over to 106.4. I wonder were brown envelopes exchanged for that eviction also, because we know that was certainly the case with the radio licences granted by Ray Burke in 1989/the early 1990s.

Just to be clear - I think you will find that RnaL where aware from the get go that 102.2 was only a temporary arrangement, furthermore they where allowed simulcast on 102.2 & 106.4 for an extended period.

RnaL are among a number of stations that have changed frequency - Today FM,DCAL,NearFM, Lyric FM etc

The terms of the licencing agreement give the BAI(BCI) to instruct you to change frequency.

Reality is RnaL has low listnership (being diplomatic!) - makes no difference what the frequency is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I wouldn't be able to listen to Newstalk on either my phone or ipod so that's a no from me.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Good luck to all involved in 'RnaG 2' but its natural home is DAB not the resource that is the FM band.
    DAB as in Dead And Buried ?

No listeners there.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    DAB as in Dead And Buried ?

No listeners there.

You got it in one !

No listeners there :rolleyes:

Know going slightly off topic but heard a sales person telling someone the benefits of buying a DAB radio..........in reality 'RnaG' 2 outlet shall be eg UPC cable or the internet, DAB is, as you say Dead and Buried.

Advertisement