Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cumbria Earthquake

Options
  • 22-12-2010 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

Not strictly weather related but:

3.6 earthquake in Cumbria, England. Only 11 odd miles from Sellafield.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Link??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I had no idea this was even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I had no idea this was even possible?
    We had an earthquake here, when I was a lad... 1980s? 3.something, I remember the rads shaking on the wall... So it's definitely possible.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Didn't one happen in Co.Clare last year? They are more common than i thought. One happened in Cumbria last year too.

DeVore wrote: »
    We had an earthquake here, when I was a lad... 1980s? 3.something, I remember the rads shaking on the wall... So it's definitely possible.

DeV.

Wow, that's crazy! I thought because we were nowhere near any fault we wouldn't be effected?

We're all gonna die :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

5.5 in Dublin in the 80's! wow!

http://www.indemnity.ie/2010/02/earthquakes-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

A couple of my buddies on the IsleofMan felt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wow, that's crazy! I thought because we were nowhere near any fault we wouldn't be effected?
    No, you get earthquakes all over the planet, but usually small ones like this (3.6 is pretty small, you'd probably miss it if you had the TV on).

And it wasn't 11 miles from sellafield, when you remember that it was centered around a spot about ten miles down :D
    We're all gonna die :P
    Well, yes. In a few decades (hopefully!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I remember hearing of the one in the 80's. weird.

Having been in more earthquakes than I care to remember, (well over a hundred,) I can tell you a 3.6 would be like sitting by the side of the road as a coal lorry goes by. Its a brief shake that you could miss if you're moving around at all, the merest shudder.

Of course thats not to say it couldnt do damage to brick and mortar structures. Timber frame buildings are essential for protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭zanardi

Conspiracy Theory time, put on your tin foil hats...

On the morning of 7/7/05 I watched the BBC report that some electricity transformers on the underground had exploded, so tonight I had a quick check to see if the Iodine Tablets were handy :)

What odds Morning Ireland interviewing the minister for Expired Iodine Tablets in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Just remembered. I should have posted this in this thread which shows both the UK and Ireland get EQs from time to time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055959635&highlight=earthquake+clare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

zanardi wrote: »
    Conspiracy Theory time, put on your tin foil hats...

On the morning of 7/7/05 I watched the BBC report that some electricity transformers on the underground had exploded, so tonight I had a quick check to see if the Iodine Tablets were handy :)

What odds Morning Ireland interviewing the minister for Expired Iodine Tablets in the morning?

and? whats that got to do with anything? not having a go, just dont understand what your point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Lads, 3.6 is nothing - we get 4+ fairly regularly in Japan and they don't even register on the daily news.

Wouldn't even wake you up.

emo72 wrote: »
    and? whats that got to do with anything? not having a go, just dont understand what your point is.

:O

YOU'RE PART OF THE CONSPIRACY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭D e e

FruitLover wrote: »
    Lads, 3.6 is nothing - we get 4+ fairly regularly in Japan and they don't even register on the daily news.

Cool story bro

D e e wrote: »
    Cool story bro

Oh no :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

:O

YOU'RE PART OF THE CONSPIRACY!

ummm......i guess so. and i just wandered in here to see whats goin on:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I remember the one in the 80s and a jigsaw myself and my friend were doing moved off the table in little jumps. We both blamed each other for doing it :D it was weird

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

uk_seismicity_map_sm.jpg

Figure 2. Instrumental seismicity (red, 1970-present) for earthquakes with ML >2.0 and historical seismicity (yellow, pre-1970) for earthquakes with ML >3.0

from

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/education/uk_earthquakes.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

hows that for bad luck,

went to be d early last night as i had to be up at 6am,

and bloody missed it diden i. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

FruitLover wrote: »

The huge difference is that in Japan and the US west coast (where I am) buildings are built to specific codes to protect them against damage in earthquakes.

All houses are timber framed, You cant even build a brick chimney in California anymore, they have to be metal within a wood sleeve.

Brick and mortar is dangerous. There's no flexibility, the mortar crumbles and the bricks fall within a few seconds. very scary.

A 6.8 in Armenia had 30,000 deaths while a 6.8 in Seattle didnt have any, and thats basically down to building codes. So a 4+ may well cause damage in Ireland.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/world/world_deaths.php

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭zanardi

emo72 wrote: »

If Sellafield did blow up, I'm sure that the BBC would lead with news that there was a seismic 'event'. Much the same way that the bombings were originally reported as a power surge on the underground network.

FWIW I think it's the correct thing to do for a news agency to avoid causing mass panic.

Advertisement