Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National primary route in the forgotten county

Options
  • 22-12-2010 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭

I travelled from Stranorlar to Letterkenny and back this afternoon on what is supposed to be a national primary route (N13) and the pics below clearly show why we are once again left lagging when it comes to treating the national roads. The N15 (Stranorlar - Lifford) is worse although I had no camera when driving yesterday.

DSCF0158.jpg

DSCF0164.jpg

DSCF0183.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Looks similar to the N3 today out at Clonee around 1430-1500h.

attachment.php?attachmentid=140413&stc=1&d=1292978973

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Very similar indeed apart from the fact that its been like that since last Friday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Why don't they plough these roads? When the snow is falling is one thing but several days after a snowfall they should be able to push most of the snow volume off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Yeah ridiclous , theres been dam all grit on them thanks to the NRA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah its an absolute joke around here, barely a flake of snow has fallen since last Friday yet they havent even ploughed the roads. I can understand the grit problem if they simply dont have any but I cant think of a single reason for them not to plough the roads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 evolve

When the snow hit Dublin a day or so ago, RTE went into overdrive, up here the county came to a standstill with heavy snowfall on Friday 17th in the run up to the busiest shopping weekend of the year for traders and we hardly got a mention by the national broadcaster. The forgotten county indeed!! With the already high unemployment rate here, Donegal people can't afford the local economy to be decimated by lack of treatment on our roads. Local and national government have failed to handle this properly. Donegal appears to be low on the pecking order when it comes to getting salt from the NRA - why? The snow on roads should have been ploughed off to the side - do we not have the equipment, the manpower - what is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

The Lifford - Stranorlar road is even worse. Its very dangerous and i would advise people to avoid this road. No sign of a thaw either as i recorded -15 in Ballybofey last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

My street this morning, still a total mess

photo0253c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

I've been watching the RTE 6 1 news and not one mention of Donegal at all. Maybe the RTE camera crews got stuck in the snow or maybe Donegal really has fallen off the map of Ireland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Donegal County Council have issued a statement advising that the salt (whats that I ask you) is now completely ineffective on the Stranorlar to Lifford (N15) and Stranorlar to Letterkenny (N13) roads as the road temperature has dropped below -10.

If they had used the feckin snow ploughs when the snow fell nearly a week ago the roads would be in a better condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

muffler wrote: »
    Donegal County Council have issued a statement advising that the salt (whats that I ask you) is now completely ineffective on the Stranorlar to Lifford (N15) and Stranorlar to Letterkenny (N13) roads as the road temperature has dropped below -10.

If they had used the feckin snow ploughs when the snow fell nearly a week ago the roads would be in a better condition.

Last friday I saw a plow driving up the Ramelton to Letterkenny Road. It was going slow enough to be plowing but when you looked behind the truck it was still snowy all over the road.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

yea Road from Creeslough to Termon(another Nation primary route) is a joke, packed snow but with some rutts in it so its like driving over an old bog road and the rutts keep pulling the car in and out causing the car to go all over the place. Passed a plough and gritter on it last night, it was not ploughing and all it was spreading was fresh air. Right fair enough on the salt/gritting issue but at least plough the fecking road they are driving on !!!!!!

Time for that quango of an NRA to be broken up.

Termon to Letterkenny is not too bad, it was salted but still need to be very careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Sure if they can't get a national motorway right what hope have lesser roads got. This was the M2 just south of Ashbourne last Thursday week, at half eight in the morning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Sure the N4 going all the way into Dublin City was just any image posted here. It would appear they are not going anything for the roads unless the road name is M50

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It would appear they are not going anything for the roads unless the road name is M50

The M50 is privately run and is not gritted by local authorities, so is not in competition with other roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

N56 Donegal Town. Taken Wednesday ... 5 days after last snow fell.

f288621b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jaysus,
    looking at those pictures, we are totally escaping the worst of it here in Galway.
    Thank feck as well.

Keep the heads up lads and take it handy on those artic trails if ye do have to venture out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

Sure the N4 going all the way into Dublin City was just any image posted here. It would appear they are not going anything for the roads unless the road name is M50

Anyone who thinks the M50 is the yellow brick road is a bit deluded. I'm driving from Dublin to Letterkenny tomorrow but right now I'd say the Dublin roads are worse. Even this am after the snow was forecast to have stopped, very view appeared to have been treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Sheba891

Travelled Letterkenny to lifford on Tuesday 1 hour 30 mins for a 20 min run usually....1hr 20 rtn.......not good and as others have said last snowfal last friday,,,,beyond a joke now....not even mentioned on national news but is the main route from Letterkenny to Dublin....NRA cop on!!:mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Plenty of counties can claim to be forgotten compared to the coverage Dublin gets. but that said conditions are bad there. The Chapalozid bypass looks very list those pics posted this evening. It's a disgrace that a main access route in our capital city is like that.

I'm from Offaly and I though people would forget about us altogether if not for Brian Cowen. When the NRA announced they were concentrating on primary roads I decided to look up what roads in Offaly were national primary. I was surprised to find we have none, the M6 and M7 skim our borders but they are not routes in the county. It was -11 there today with no road treatments happening at all, people without water and all you get on the radio is the council saying they have adequate salt supplies and that the main water system is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I had to drive to meath and back yesterday from wicklow and the M50 was by far the worst bit of road i drove on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Streets in Dublin city centre are pretty bad this morning, and that's still mainly from the snow that fell Monday and the freezing temps since. I've been told the m50 is lethal at the moment too.

There's no conspiracy against Donegal, or any other 'forgotten' county, here; it's just bad weather and we're all feeling it.

And why do people keep mentioning RTE? They're hardly going to come up and clear the roads. Or should they do a feature length documentary on every single road that has snow and ice on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

M50 is really bad today - the Junction for Tallaght / Tempelogue is indeed fun...

drive to roscommon left after this!

Keep Safe people!

Advertisement