Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco EPC2425 Help

• 22-12-2010 2:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19

Hey Guys, I sorta need help. I was attempting to bridge 2 wireless routers on my Cisco EPC2425 and an old Netopia router I had lying around. I couldn't seem to get it to work so eventually I just gave up (this is after about 3 hours of hard work) so I turned off the Netopia router (not connected to the internet) and left my Cisco router on (connected to the internet provided by UPC). Everything was working fine up until about 30 minutes after finishing my little bridging experiment. All of a sudden my windows desktop and my macbook started showing my network as unable to access the internet. I can connect to the router but the router cant connect to the internet and shows up as unidentified network. I've tried turning the router on and off, turning my computers on and off, deleting the wireless profile on my computer and connecting again and nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me or am I going to have to ring UPC and ask them to manually reset it? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

have you tried resetting the modem to factory defaults? either on the modem's config page or by holding down the reset button for 10 secs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 stopmoclay

I can't connect to the routers config page and I can't seem to find a reset button on my router. I'm currently on the phone to UPC but I don't think they're being much help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Did UPC help you?

If not, On the back of the router, next to the ethernet ports, on their right, is a hole that says "router reset", stick a pen/pin in there and hold down the button for bout 10 secs and then remove it. To connect to the cisco modem's config page, this 192.168.1.1 should be the page.

What modem are you on btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you're trying to connect wirelessly and can't due to wireless issues then you'll need to try again with an ethernet cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 stopmoclay

UPC sorted it for me guys, thanks for helping :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

stopmoclay, to bridge your upc router and make your netgear modem the wireless, use this page

http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp

select bridge,
    also when thats done, log back into the upc router, http://192.168.100.1 and go into setup & disable the wireless on the upc router to free up channels

unless you have the UPC phone service as this will disable the phone. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

vibe666 wrote: »
    unless you have the UPC phone service as this will disable the phone. :)

Does it still do this? when the engineer came to install it in mine I said this to him, he said he didn't think it still happened anymore.
    So what he did was he left my current upc modem & wireless, and just installed another upc connection in a different room and gave me a cisco router with a new ip/connection
    So I effectively have 2 internet connections the blue 250modem & cisco(20MB x2) in the same home with different ips

wow, lucky you. did you get a bill yet? :D

i've not seen anything on here about it not happening any more, but i guess someone would need to test to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Noah2010

I have a UPC with Cisco EPC2425 wireless router (downstairs), but it doesn't cover the whole house, so in order to extend the wireless range I bought D-link 615 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=565) with DD-wrt software (to put it upstairs) to work as a wireless repeater (as its very difficult to connect the two routers using a wire so it should be wireless).
    I wasted the last week trying to use this d-lin in a repeater mode or a repeater bridge mode to do that but with no success at all even though I followed All the instructions in http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge.
    anyone has some idea about that or used a wireless repeater with the UPC (Cisco EPC2425) router!!!

• Advertisement

Noah2010 wrote: »
    I have a UPC with Cisco EPC2425 wireless router (downstairs), but it doesn't cover the whole house, so in order to extend the wireless range I bought D-link 615 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=565) with DD-wrt software (to put it upstairs) to work as a wireless repeater (as its very difficult to connect the two routers using a wire so it should be wireless).
    I wasted the last week trying to use this d-lin in a repeater mode or a repeater bridge mode to do that but with no success at all even though I followed All the instructions in http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge.
    anyone has some idea about that or used a wireless repeater with the UPC (Cisco EPC2425) router!!!
    you could have just got a bigger antenna for the cisco epc2425 to increase the range.

you could try client bridge mode on ddwrt on the dlink. it's under basic wireless settings afaik.

connect the dlink to your PC/laptop via ethernet to set it up.

you'll then need to do a wireless site survey and then 'join' it to your cisco wireless using the existing wireless connection settings from the cisco.

it means the dlink would be tied to whatever you plug it into via the ethernet cable, but maybe if you only have one out of wireless range it would be enough for you. i'm not sure if this method will work for more than one connected device or not.

another option would have been a homeplug wireless range extender instead of another router.

Thanks for your quick response.
    I searched for a bigger antenna for the Cisco epc2425 to increase the range, but didn't find any :( (Do you have any idea wherre can I get one?)
    I've already tried the client bridge mode on DD-wrt on the Dlink (with and without the Cisco epc2425 on gateway mode) but didn't work
    "You’ll then need to do a wireless site survey and then 'join' it to your Cisco wireless using the existing wireless connection settings from the Cisco. It means the Dlink would be tied to whatever you plug it into via the Ethernet cable, but maybe if you only have one out of wireless range it would be enough for you."
    Could you please elaborate as I’m very new to these concepts ?

"Another option would have been a Homeplug wireless range extender instead of another router."
    Fantastic idea, I've just Googled it and its the solution i guess. But I’ll leave it as a last resort since I already bought the Dlink to do the job.

I have poor experience with networking but I exactly followed the procedure on the link http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge but didn't work :mad: , do you advice me with another procedure?)

i'm not sure of the exact antenna connection on the epc2425 but they do appear to be removable and if they can be removed they can be replaced.

i would guess that anything designed as a replacement for any modern cisco/linksys router would do the job, but since i already convinced everyone i know to get rid of the poxy cisco router in favour of the old 2203 modem and use their own router instead, i've never gotten close enough to one of the cisco's to find out for sure. :)

as far as client bridge mode on the dlink goes, you don't need to do anything on the cisco as you will be connecting the dlink to the cisco as if it were a normal wireless cleint device like a laptop or iphone or whatever and that is basically what you are doing with the dlink. you put it into client bridge mode, then you search for available wireless networks with it, pick one and join that network and put in your network key etc. to connect to it.

as an example, i have an old xbox that i'm using as a media player in my bedroom that doesn't have a wireless card in it, so i use a little single port router with ddwrt on it to act as a wireless bridge between the xbox and my router downstairs. all this little router is doing is impersonating a regular wireless device and then creating a bridge/link between your wired device (in my case the xbox) and your wireless network.

the best thing to do is probably to just reset the dlink and start again. you'd be surprised how many settings you've probably messed with that could be affecting connectivity.

all you want to do once it has been reset is to change the wireless password from the default one, set the IP address of the dlink (in setup, basic settings) so that it's using an unused IP address in the same subnet as your cisco wireless network with the dns and gateway both set to the cisco IP routers IP address and then put the dlink into client bridge mode (in wireless, basic settings), change your wireless name to match your cisco one, then fill in your exact wireless security settings as they appear in the cisco (in wireless, wireless security in ddwrt) and then do a wireless survey (in status, wireless) and pick your own cisco wireless network and hit the 'join' button and after a little negotiation between the two routers you should be done. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    the best thing to do is probably to just reset the dlink and start again. you'd be surprised how many settings you've probably messed with that could be affecting connectivity.

all you want to do once it has been reset is to change the wireless password from the default one, set the IP address of the dlink (in setup, basic settings) so that it's using an unused IP address in the same subnet as your cisco wireless network with the dns and gateway both set to the cisco IP routers IP address and then put the dlink into client bridge mode (in wireless, basic settings), change your wireless name to match your cisco one, then fill in your exact wireless security settings as they appear in the cisco (in wireless, wireless security in ddwrt) and then do a wireless survey (in status, wireless) and pick your own cisco wireless network and hit the 'join' button and after a little negotiation between the two routers you should be done. :)
    thank you very much.
    I'll do that and let you know about the results.

good luck. :)

It's working now, Thank you very much ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

does bridging knockout the phone service on the cisco router ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

vasch_ro wrote: »
    does bridging knockout the phone service on the cisco router ?

From all the feedback I've read about it, yes. I don't use the phone service personally.

Advertisement